IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

dilemma or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 10:59 PM
rxqd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dilemma or not?

so i recently just bought a brand new 2015 f sport w/extended warranty 7 year/100k miles and also realize I ordered some Tein H Tech Springs. I'm at the intersection of whether to put on aftermarket springs or not as it might void some of my warranties. I'm worried as this will be my new DD and I'd like to maintain my warranty as much as possible since i spent extra on it.

I did it on my previous car a scion tc and it was fine but the TRD spring I had have sag to one finger in between wheel and fender over the course of 5-6 years.
Old 01-04-15, 07:53 AM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The warranty will be voided only on that part that you replace. All other warrantys still in effect. So the warranty on the struts is voided if you install them. I bought the same warranty and installed rsr down springs. You should go for it.
Old 01-04-15, 08:59 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As the above person said, you are probably looking at the possibility of dampers, control arms, bushings, endlinks, etc being voided. These dont seem to be extremely common failure points in the short term and you'd probably be looking at a sub 1K repair for things like control arms and around that same cost for dampers. Probably sub $200 repair for various bushings/endlinks. Repairs that I dread are things like hard to trace intermittent electrical problems and then powertrain failures. In this case, those systems should remain covered.

Mike
Old 01-04-15, 01:11 PM
Akrkwk
Rookie

Do some research if TRD spring will affect the warranty of US spec lexus
I know they are factory option in Japan and many other countries and also its made by toyota
Old 01-04-15, 06:04 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo55
The warranty will be voided only on that part that you replace. All other warrantys still in effect. So the warranty on the struts is voided if you install them. I bought the same warranty and installed rsr down springs. You should go for it.
Well explained! The only thing affected will be your suspension.
Old 01-04-15, 06:05 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
As the above person said, you are probably looking at the possibility of dampers, control arms, bushings, endlinks, etc being voided. These dont seem to be extremely common failure points in the short term and you'd probably be looking at a sub 1K repair for things like control arms and around that same cost for dampers. Probably sub $200 repair for various bushings/endlinks. Repairs that I dread are things like hard to trace intermittent electrical problems and then powertrain failures. In this case, those systems should remain covered.

Mike
Agree 100%.
Old 01-04-15, 06:08 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxqd
so i recently just bought a brand new 2015 f sport w/extended warranty 7 year/100k miles and also realize I ordered some Tein H Tech Springs. I'm at the intersection of whether to put on aftermarket springs or not as it might void some of my warranties. I'm worried as this will be my new DD and I'd like to maintain my warranty as much as possible since i spent extra on it.

I did it on my previous car a scion tc and it was fine but the TRD spring I had have sag to one finger in between wheel and fender over the course of 5-6 years.
I experienced the same with my Scion Tc. Bought the TRD springs and installed them myself with my dad. Didn't void any warranty as they were designed for that car by Toyota. Wish Lexus had made some F-Sport lowering springs for the IS that are more aggressive than factory stance!
Old 01-08-15, 09:19 PM
rxqd
Rookie

how likely are these to be broken/fix over time period of say 6 years? " dampers, control arms, bushings, endlinks" also since i'll be using Tein H tein there should be less stress on the stock show right since its not a very high drop?
Old 01-09-15, 06:55 AM
rgonza1
Driver

I have a a 2014 Lexus I350 F Sport with warranty and I purchased a set up RS-R Down Lowering Springs. Worst case scenario if you have any issues just have your factory springs re-installed. I say go for it! Have some fun with your car!
Old 01-09-15, 07:06 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how likely are these to be broken/fix over time period of say 6 years? " dampers, control arms, bushings, endlinks" also since i'll be using Tein H tein there should be less stress on the stock show right since its not a very high drop?
The truth is that nobody here can tell you the likelihood because this car has only been out since late 2013 as a 2014 model year. You can look at the track record of Toyota and Lexus as one of the most reliable car companies in the world though and extrapolate that there is probably a relatively low likelihood of multiple suspension failures ESPECIALLY if you are doing a very mild drop like with the H-Techs. The lower you go, the more you run OEM components out of spec, so the higher the risk.

Mike
Old 01-09-15, 07:44 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of factors that go into that. How are you driving the car? Are you tracking it? Are you doing autocross with it? If you're doing neither of those, they will last dependent upon the number of miles you drive and the number of imperfections in the road (pot holes) that you hit. Control arms and end links are usually good for 100,000 or more miles before you need to start looking at the bushings and boots.