IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

what risk am i taking by going with an aftermarket remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 12:19 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default what risk am i taking by going with an aftermarket remote start?

hey guys so the installer of my LED foglights, also said he can install remote start compatible with the oem remote. for a price of $350 installed is phenominal! when I asked him about the brand he said its the same brand that viper and compustar use. part of me is worrying about if this can cause any issues with the car in the longrun. The installer is well known installer in the NYC area and works on many highend cars so I trust them. but I was just hoping you guys could give me some insight on if anything could go wrong with going aftermarket. I spoke to the service manager at my dealership and he told me that it does not void warranty, unless they directly trace a problem to the installation of the remote starter.
Old 01-04-15, 06:26 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
hey guys so the installer of my LED foglights, also said he can install remote start compatible with the oem remote. for a price of $350 installed is phenominal! when I asked him about the brand he said its the same brand that viper and compustar use. part of me is worrying about if this can cause any issues with the car in the longrun. The installer is well known installer in the NYC area and works on many highend cars so I trust them. but I was just hoping you guys could give me some insight on if anything could go wrong with going aftermarket. I spoke to the service manager at my dealership and he told me that it does not void warranty, unless they directly trace a problem to the installation of the remote starter.
Your service manager made it crystal clear to you! However, if you're concerned about it, I'd go with the OEM one. Based on my experience, my father had a Viper alarm/remote on his brand new '10 Honda Accord when he bought it. He was also concerned about warranties and issues down the road, but fortunately nothing happened. To this date, the alarm is still alive and it's been used on 2 vehicles!
Old 01-04-15, 06:55 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey get this when you buy toyotas, honda, nissans the dealerships preinstall aftermarket alarms on them. Not many cars come from the factory with alarms. What the dealership does after you buy the car and you buy the alarm they activate it. So why not buy aftermarket remote start. Just buy a reputable one. Viper is well known should work great.
Old 01-04-15, 07:22 PM
James1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a MY15? If so you have remote start already.
Old 01-05-15, 07:37 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

James1988 unfortunately no, i have the 2014 model so no remote start from lexus =(. but thanks for the advice guys I've decided to go with my installer recommendations. Getting my led fogs and remote start done tomorrow, can't wait! will post pics if you guys would like
Old 01-06-15, 04:44 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i forget the full title of the law, but there is a law out there that prohibits dealers from voiding your warranty automatically just because of any aftermarket part you chose to install on your car. by law, if the dealer wants to void your warranty, they first MUST prove your aftermarket product had a direct affect on your car, its components, and how the vehicle operates or inoperative status that is different from factory.
Old 01-06-15, 05:18 AM
xbigboix83
Rookie

Can you get oem remote starter on Navi 2014 now?
Old 01-07-15, 05:51 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xbigboix83
Can you get oem remote starter on Navi 2014 now?
i have yet to hear about any 2014 3IS with nav to have an oem remote start installed. the few guys on the forum who have remote starts installed on their 2014 are using after market (e.g., drone).

quite frankly i really don't understand what the eff is lexus' problem. sure you can't install RS on the '14s, thats fine, just give me a freakin explanation thats all i want. if you make it available on the '15s, why not give your '14 customers a opportunity to get the new '15 hardware/software, firmware updates? so what if it costs me, let me decide that you kunt. rant over.
Old 01-07-15, 07:08 AM
simon3huna
Rookie

hey guys.

im going this friday to get my 2-way remote starter installed at my local Lexus. the brand they offer is astro-start. they are charging me $970. is that fair?
Old 01-07-15, 07:29 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by simon3huna
hey guys.

im going this friday to get my 2-way remote starter installed at my local Lexus. the brand they offer is astro-start. they are charging me $970. is that fair?
the dealer may be offering the product/service but by no means are they installing it. they're always going to throw it at a third party and have another local shop do it. $970 i think is a little high for alarm+labor, unless they're doing a stealth install which take more time to tuck the wires and hide stuff. i doubt thats what they'll do. if i were you i would ask the dealer which vendor they're going to have work on your car so you can do a little research to feel confident about them working on your vehicle. after you find the name, do your research and if you like them go to them directly and negotiate. tell them you'll give them more money directly so the dealer doesn't take a cut from it if they give you a discount on the price.
Old 01-07-15, 10:02 AM
hoya08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
i forget the full title of the law, but there is a law out there that prohibits dealers from voiding your warranty automatically just because of any aftermarket part you chose to install on your car. by law, if the dealer wants to void your warranty, they first MUST prove your aftermarket product had a direct affect on your car, its components, and how the vehicle operates or inoperative status that is different from factory.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Old 01-07-15, 11:00 AM
jnjmatts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
the dealer may be offering the product/service but by no means are they installing it. they're always going to throw it at a third party and have another local shop do it. $970 i think is a little high for alarm+labor, unless they're doing a stealth install which take more time to tuck the wires and hide stuff. i doubt thats what they'll do. if i were you i would ask the dealer which vendor they're going to have work on your car so you can do a little research to feel confident about them working on your vehicle. after you find the name, do your research and if you like them go to them directly and negotiate. tell them you'll give them more money directly so the dealer doesn't take a cut from it if they give you a discount on the price.
This is simply not true. My dealership installed my aftermarket remote starter and for those of you considering the Lexus remote start keep in mind it has a range of around 80 feet. Aftermarket starters can have a range of 5000 feet.
Old 01-07-15, 11:07 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Default remote starter installed!!!

guys just to update had a remote starter put in last night. it works with my OEM key fob!!!! and works perfectly! $ 350 installed i am very happy especially with the price. Don't know what lexus' deal is. My nav works fine and everything too. no issues!
Old 01-07-15, 12:11 PM
Boost786
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shivad87
guys just to update had a remote starter put in last night. it works with my OEM key fob!!!! and works perfectly! $ 350 installed i am very happy especially with the price. Don't know what lexus' deal is. My nav works fine and everything too. no issues!
Where is the place in New York where you got it done? Might have to go check this place out for my car.
Old 01-07-15, 09:58 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Your truthful service manager is right. If an aftermarket system voided warranty, all IS with remote starters in Canada would have no warranty (we don't get the Enform system or apps sadly).

Quick Reply: what risk am i taking by going with an aftermarket remote start?