IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

what risk am i taking by going with an aftermarket remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 09:11 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hoya08
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Yup that's the one! You got it boss.

Originally Posted by jnjmatts
This is simply not true. My dealership installed my aftermarket remote starter...
How do you know for sure? Did you sit there and watch them do it all day? If you did, you have quite a bit of time on your hands and need more hobbies. I don't know about great oh Canada, but here in the States and at least all the dealers near me that i've checked in the DMV, you usually outsource jobs like stereo, tinting, high end alarms/remote starts because they don't have the time, capacity, or technical skills/resource as a third party shop would. Keep in mind these dealership mechanics are solely there to become the brand's master mechanics. sure they'll know an thing or two extra like what amps to use if you want four subs placed in, but most of them don't have that specialty and only work on the factory aspect of the car, hence most aftermarket items are installed by the dealer's affiliate, though the dealer helped provide the service/connection.

Originally Posted by shivad87
guys just to update had a remote starter put in last night. it works with my OEM key fob!!!! and works perfectly! $ 350 installed i am very happy especially with the price. Don't know what lexus' deal is. My nav works fine and everything too. no issues!
that's awesome congrats! what model did you install? how much was it for the remote start? is it alarm+remote start or did you add the RS to your factory alarm?
Old 01-08-15, 12:49 PM
jnjmatts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF

How do you know for sure? Did you sit there and watch them do it all day? If you did, you have quite a bit of time on your hands and need more hobbies. I don't know about great oh Canada, but here in the States and at least all the dealers near me that i've checked in the DMV, you usually outsource jobs like stereo, tinting, high end alarms/remote starts because they don't have the time, capacity, or technical skills/resource as a third party shop would. Keep in mind these dealership mechanics are solely there to become the brand's master mechanics. sure they'll know an thing or two extra like what amps to use if you want four subs placed in, but most of them don't have that specialty and only work on the factory aspect of the car, hence most aftermarket items are installed by the dealer's affiliate, though the dealer helped provide the service/connection.

I did not hang out and watch the install and it certainly didn't take all day. I'm friends with the service manager and there was no reason for him to tell me they were doing the install if they weren't, especially since I received a discount on the install.