IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Opti Coat 2.0 vs CQuartz Finest vs GTechniq / Which one did you get and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 07:39 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Opti Coat 2.0 vs CQuartz Finest vs GTechniq / Which one did you get and why?

Hello CL community,

As I am planning on getting a paint sealant for my new IS, I have been trying to narrow down my choices. I'm considering 3 products:

a. Opti Coat 2.0
b. CQuartz Finest
c. GTechniq

There are certified dealers/installers for all 3 in my area, but I would like to hear your opinions on these products. Post your product and the reason why you chose it? (i.e. warranty, reliability, recommendations, reviews, pictures, etc.) Also, I've been told that some of these products can be done by myself (not so sure if I'm capable of doing such work, specially in the cold ) Pictures will be helpful to see the finished job!
Old 12-30-14, 07:56 PM
jlv82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear A & B are great products but I will not try those by myself and leave it to the pros besides is little expensive.
However if you looking for a good treatment what you can do yourself, you can try Sonax Net Shield after Clay, Polish and Wax.
Details here http://www.detailersdomain.com/SONAX...ld-_p_814.html
Old 12-30-14, 08:20 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jlv82
I hear A & B are great products but I will not try those by myself and leave it to the pros besides is little expensive.
However if you looking for a good treatment what you can do yourself, you can try Sonax Net Shield after Clay, Polish and Wax.
Details here http://www.detailersdomain.com/SONAX...ld-_p_814.html
Thanks jlv82! I'll check it out. I am no pro by any means, but if it's not that hard to apply maybe I'll do it myself in the Spring and save myself some $$$
Old 12-30-14, 09:46 PM
nabizzy
Rookie

ceramic pro 9H
Old 12-31-14, 08:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Opti Coat 2.0 is no longer available, which is a shame, as I rather liked the stuff.

Opti Coat Pro, however, is still available.
Old 12-31-14, 09:31 AM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have C. Gtechniq C1 with couple coats of the EX coating and C5 for the wheels and I also did the interior with all of their products along with aquapel on the windshield.

I simply went with them because that is what my friend shop sells and it cost him about $100.00 in materials for all the stuff. So for me it was $100 or $1300 from so where else. Kind of a no brainer for me.

However I think the product is amazing after I hit 40 MPH all the water is completely off my car, and If its raining out and I am on the highway I don't need windshield wipers and the frost doesn't stick either. No brake dust sticks to my wheels. I just reapplied another coat of XO after having for a year and its like day one again.

At the end of the day I am sure you cant go wrong with A B or C still better then any way out there.
Old 01-02-15, 08:25 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
Hello CL community,

As I am planning on getting a paint sealant for my new IS, I have been trying to narrow down my choices. I'm considering 3 products:

a. Opti Coat 2.0
b. CQuartz Finest
c. GTechniq

There are certified dealers/installers for all 3 in my area, but I would like to hear your opinions on these products. Post your product and the reason why you chose it? (i.e. warranty, reliability, recommendations, reviews, pictures, etc.) Also, I've been told that some of these products can be done by myself (not so sure if I'm capable of doing such work, specially in the cold ) Pictures will be helpful to see the finished job!
I am an authorized CQuartz Finest installer and previous Opti-Coat Pro Installer... I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding these products if you have any.

As previously mentioned, OC 2.0 is no longer available. It has been replaced with a product called Optimum Gloss Coat. Opti-Coat Pro is still available through authorized professionals.

CQuartz Finest is also only available through authorized installers which can be found on this site - cqfinest.com/where-to-buy.html If they are not listed on this map, they are not a Finest installer. Simple as that

GTechniq is available to install on your own, as is Gloss Coat, CQuartz Classic, and CQuartz UK.... but again, CQuartz FINEST and Opti-Coat PRO are not available to consumers. They must be installed by a professional.

There is an extensive amount of prep work that is involved prior to installing the coatings... if this is something you're interested in DIY, I'd be happy to help you understand the process and get you setup with anything you may need.

You can find very similar discussions in the CL Detailing Forum... here is an example: Opti-Coat vs. CQuartz Finest. vs. 22ple

I've already provided a lot of info in that thread including videos and photos, so I won't copy and paste into this one.

Please feel free to get a hold of me if you have any questions
-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 01-02-15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-02-15, 12:20 PM
Antnie2418
Driver

Any of the coatings including CQuartz FINEST and Opti-Coat PRO are available to purchase online such as detailed image or autogeek etc. As zmcgovern4 said just about with anything in life its all about the prep work before you apply. I am not sure about the rest of the products out there other Gtechniq but its extremely easy to apply to your car once all the prep work is done.
Old 01-02-15, 01:16 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Antnie2418
Any of the coatings including CQuartz FINEST and Opti-Coat PRO are available to purchase online such as detailed image or autogeek etc.
This is false information... Finest and OCP are absolutely not available to consumers. You cannot purchase them online. You cannot purchase them period unless you are an authorized installer. CarPro ships Finest directly to their installers, and OPT ships OCP directly to its installers - Autogeek, Autopia, Detailed Image or any other online retailers do not have these products in stock. Trust me - I am an authorized Finest Installer and I work for Detailed Image. (Zach McGovern - Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog)

The products you see available to consumers are Optimum Gloss Coat, CQuartz Classic, and CQuartz UK (as well as the GTechniq line). Gloss Coat and CQuartz Classic & UK are not the same as OCP and Finest. They may have similar names, but they are different chemicals.

If you are being told that you can buy OCP or Finest online, please do not believe it - the product you're receiving is NOT what they say it is. Installers are bound by contract that they cannot sell these products to anyone. Period. And for quality control, neither CarPro nor Optimum would let these products go out to just anyone. There is a reason they are only available through a professional.

Again, if you've got any questions. Please don't hesitate to ask... I'm happy to help

-Zach McGovern

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 01-02-15 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-03-15, 01:12 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Antnie2418
I have C. Gtechniq C1 with couple coats of the EX coating and C5 for the wheels and I also did the interior with all of their products along with aquapel on the windshield.

I simply went with them because that is what my friend shop sells and it cost him about $100.00 in materials for all the stuff. So for me it was $100 or $1300 from so where else. Kind of a no brainer for me.

However I think the product is amazing after I hit 40 MPH all the water is completely off my car, and If its raining out and I am on the highway I don't need windshield wipers and the frost doesn't stick either. No brake dust sticks to my wheels. I just reapplied another coat of XO after having for a year and its like day one again.

At the end of the day I am sure you cant go wrong with A B or C still better then any way out there.
Thanks Antnie2418 I've also heard it's easy to apply DIY. Does your friend does detailing for a living? Or did he did it to help you?
Old 01-03-15, 01:16 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I am an authorized CQuartz Finest installer and previous Opti-Coat Pro Installer... I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding these products if you have any.

As previously mentioned, OC 2.0 is no longer available. It has been replaced with a product called Optimum Gloss Coat. Opti-Coat Pro is still available through authorized professionals.

CQuartz Finest is also only available through authorized installers which can be found on this site - cqfinest.com/where-to-buy.html If they are not listed on this map, they are not a Finest installer. Simple as that

GTechniq is available to install on your own, as is Gloss Coat, CQuartz Classic, and CQuartz UK.... but again, CQuartz FINEST and Opti-Coat PRO are not available to consumers. They must be installed by a professional.

There is an extensive amount of prep work that is involved prior to installing the coatings... if this is something you're interested in DIY, I'd be happy to help you understand the process and get you setup with anything you may need.

You can find very similar discussions in the CL Detailing Forum... here is an example: Opti-Coat vs. CQuartz Finest. vs. 22ple

I've already provided a lot of info in that thread including videos and photos, so I won't copy and paste into this one.

Please feel free to get a hold of me if you have any questions
-Zach
Thanks for the input, zmcgovern4. If I don't do it now, I'll probably do it myself in the Spring
Old 01-03-15, 06:37 PM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

I've never used any of those products, but I have used Wolfgang paint sealant on my last 3 cars and have been extremely satisfied. It can be applied by hand and it is much easier to apply and remove than regular wax bc it doesn't stain black trim or rubber. A thin layer applied once every 6 months works wonders. You can add a layer of wax over it for extra shine and protection, but its not necessary. After i wash the car, i just use a quick detailer. Bugs, dirt, dust, road debris, and tar wash off effortlessly. I bought it from Autogeeks.Com..yoy can read reviews on the website as well.
Old 01-03-15, 06:47 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350SWFL
I've never used any of those products, but I have used Wolfgang paint sealant on my last 3 cars and have been extremely satisfied. It can be applied by hand and it is much easier to apply and remove than regular wax bc it doesn't stain black trim or rubber. A thin layer applied once every 6 months works wonders. You can add a layer of wax over it for extra shine and protection, but its not necessary. After i wash the car, i just use a quick detailer. Bugs, dirt, dust, road debris, and tar wash off effortlessly. I bought it from Autogeeks.Com..yoy can read reviews on the website as well.
Will check that out! Thanks IS350SWFL
Old 01-04-15, 06:18 AM
Antnie2418
Driver

Originally Posted by lexi90
Thanks Antnie2418 I've also heard it's easy to apply DIY. Does your friend does detailing for a living? Or did he did it to help you?

He owns his own shop in CT. He did all the prep work and I applied the coatings. It's really just wipe on a small section, wipe off a small section. Wait 24 hrs between C1 is applied then apply XO that's really it. The interior is just sprayed on and the wheels just gets a coat c5
Old 01-04-15, 06:26 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350SWFL
I have used Wolfgang paint sealant over the past few years and have been very satisfied. In between applications (every 3-4 months with semi-annual claying) I use Wolfgang spritz spray sealant after most washes. The durable deep gloss shine produced on my Nebula finish is impressive.

Quick Reply: Opti Coat 2.0 vs CQuartz Finest vs GTechniq / Which one did you get and why?