IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 250 for girls only?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 07:55 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsimaras
This thread honestly should be deleted ...pointless.....
+1 None-sense
Old 12-28-14, 09:09 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
IS250 is not a girls car but I do see more girls in 250 than 350. That's a fact.
You see more people in 250s vs. 350s in general. 350s are relatively rare. Maybe 25% of production.
Old 12-28-14, 09:17 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only 250's are more frequent, but women tend to care less about power and performance than men. That's why you see more women in the 250.

(My wife is the only girl I know who wants a powerful car. She understands absolutely nothing in mechanics but she wants engine/exhaust sound and power. Her 2013 335i is halfway through the lease and she's already talking about the M3!)
Old 12-29-14, 04:32 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Not only 250's are more frequent, but women tend to care less about power and performance than men. That's why you see more women in the 250.

(My wife is the only girl I know who wants a powerful car. She understands absolutely nothing in mechanics but she wants engine/exhaust sound and power. Her 2013 335i is halfway through the lease and she's already talking about the M3!)
Couldn't agree less. Don't stereotype people, because you have people like myself, in which my wife probably knows more about cars than YOU do,that find your BS comment offensive.

Best to keep your stereotypes to yourself

For the record, she also has a IS350.
Old 12-29-14, 05:20 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no point to this thread except to ignite emotions.

If the OP's question were phrased in a different way, the question would be answerable. An example woud be: "Do IS 250 vs 350 sales differ significantly by sex?"

To ask "Is the IS 250 for girls only? is a totally different kind of question. It implies that the 250 might be a more feminine car somehow, with all the associated surplus meanings. If the 250 is for "girls only," does that make men who choose it less masculine or the women who choose the 350 less feminine?

Perhaps the OP meant to ask if women buy/lease the majority of IS 250's. If so, maybe someone with acess to Lexus sales figures could answer that.
Old 12-29-14, 06:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CtSFox
There is no point to this thread except to ignite emotions.

If the OP's question were phrased in a different way, the question would be answerable. An example woud be: "Do IS 250 vs 350 sales differ significantly by sex?"

To ask "Is the IS 250 for girls only? is a totally different kind of question. It implies that the 250 might be a more feminine car somehow, with all the associated surplus meanings. If the 250 is for "girls only," does that make men who choose it less masculine or the women who choose the 350 less feminine?

Perhaps the OP meant to ask if women buy/lease the majority of IS 250's. If so, maybe someone with acess to Lexus sales figures could answer that.
It would be a difficult demographic to determine given that not all cars are bought under 1 name. Some people will buy a car under a husband/wife naming, in which that would throw the numbers off. Also, does it really matter WHO buys that car?

I think it would have been better to just ask, WHY did you buy the car you did. But then again, it will become a "justification" thread instead of informational. That happens on the camaro forums all the time in which V6 owners feel they have to justify their purchases, when V8 owners couldn't honestly care less why the V6 owner bought it. (Though, its funny to see them say they bought a V6 for the mpg, and I have a V8 getting better mpg).

This is the issue with having 2 engine options in a single forum. It should honestly be separate to keep debates from this like starting, but it happens with so many car forums...almost unavoidable.
Old 12-29-14, 06:14 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

To your point, I completed the transaction for my wife for her car. I guess there is no hope for this thread after all
Old 12-29-14, 06:23 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This reminded me of a friend who said my white F-sport looks like a girl's car... don't listen to the haters haha. Personal preference on your part and ignorance on theirs.
Old 12-29-14, 06:33 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still trying to figure out what makes a car "a girls car". In this thread it looks like a matter of preference. Girls prefer the 250 is probably what the OP had in mind. Would it then be safe to say girls prefer a certain car because the styling has a certain feminine appeal and the performance is on the mild side? Still doesn't make much sense, a lot of women drive the car her husband has "assigned" to her, or even his car in the event of single car families.
Old 12-29-14, 06:36 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Still trying to figure out what makes a car "a girls car". In this thread it looks like a matter of preference. Girls prefer the 250 is probably what the OP had in mind. Would it then be safe to say girls prefer a certain car because the styling has a certain feminine appeal and the performance is on the mild side? Still doesn't make much sense, a lot of women drive the car her husband has "assigned" to her, or even his car in the event of single car families.
The car "assigned" to her? Wow...is it 1950?

My wife said, "I want this and I'm buying it". She pays the bills on it because she has a great job of her own.

I think this thread needs to be closed before the holes are dug too deep. I am sorta disappointed in this forum with conversation like this. I held this forum a little higher in regards to professionalism, but yikes....

Last edited by Swacer; 12-29-14 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-29-14, 06:51 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swacer
The car "assigned" to her? Wow...is it 1950?

My wife said, "I want this and I'm buying it". She pays the bills on it.

I think this thread needs to be closed before the holes are dug too deep.
Some people have really not made it home from high school. Look at the main argument instead of hooking onto the references.
Old 12-29-14, 08:09 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Couldn't agree less. Don't stereotype people, because you have people like myself, in which my wife probably knows more about cars than YOU do,that find your BS comment offensive.

Best to keep your stereotypes to yourself

For the record, she also has a IS350.
Wow... I offended you, didn't I? It's a fact (not a stereotype) that more men are gearheads than women. This makes them in no way inferior to men. I never said anything degrading about women, so don't act like I did.

I googled "SEMA auto show" (or any other tuning show) and about a quarter of the pictures I found were of booth girls. How many pictures of sexy hunks did I find? None. The fact that the automotive industry/car mechanics attracts more men than women isn't a stereotype and isn't degrading to women.

The personal experience I wrote in smaller characters is just that : a personal experience, not a scientific study. Did that also offend you? Because I can't change it.

Back to topic : is the IS250 for girls only? No. Happy new year to all!

Last edited by Aeromotive; 12-29-14 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-29-14, 10:10 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Wow... I offended you, didn't I? It's a fact (not a stereotype) that more men are gearheads than women. This makes them in no way inferior to men. I never said anything degrading about women, so don't act like I did.

I googled "SEMA auto show" (or any other tuning show) and about a quarter of the pictures I found were of booth girls. How many pictures of sexy hunks did I find? None. The fact that the automotive industry/car mechanics attracts more men than women isn't a stereotype and isn't degrading to women.

The personal experience I wrote in smaller characters is just that : a personal experience, not a scientific study. Did that also offend you? Because I can't change it.

Back to topic : is the IS250 for girls only? No. Happy new year to all!
All your SEMA example proves is that the objectification of women is still alive and well in the world of cars, as it is in most industries. Look at Victoria's Secret advertisements. More women buy their own lingerie/undergarments than do men for women, and the ads are still full of female models. Is that because huge photos of skantily clad models attract me into store to buy bras for myself?

And having conversations that start with the question "is this car a girl car?" only make this way of thinking more prevalent.

Back to my original comment - what is offensive to me in this thread is that if someting is "for a girl" it's clearly inferior....because girls minds are just full of fluff and we can't possibly know anything or understand anything or make any real decisions for ourselves.
Old 12-29-14, 10:34 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

So many jimmies rustled in this thread
Old 12-29-14, 12:07 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

I see more IS250's in my area, but to say its a girl car is a bit biased.

the IS250/350 look exactly the same. so to say the 250 is for girls then this would also apply to the 350 since they look the same.

And maybe its a financial reason since the price difference is a good 10k.

Now for me, I like the 350 for the power.

Quick Reply: IS 250 for girls only?