IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-Sport Performance Intake -- INSTALLATION (w/PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 10:04 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I think it looks great!
Old 12-29-14, 10:56 PM
sinakh89
Rookie

Default Video please!

Can you post a video please? if possible maybe even a B4 vs After of the sound? thanks you!
Old 12-29-14, 11:43 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Unfortunately I didn't record any video "before" the install.
Old 12-30-14, 11:26 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rgonza1
I have had it in for almost a week and I'll say as far as performance I can't tell any difference. The sound is not as loud as the stock intake. However, I have seen almost a 3 mpg increase in my daily driving since I did install it.

I am going to be picking up a GoPro 4 Silver Edition in a few days. When I get it I'll be sure to record some video (in cabin vs outside the cabin etc).

I'll post my results soon!
So it's quieter than the stock intake and you haven't noticed any sort of performance gain? Lol, what's the point then?! At $400 bucks a pop that sounds a bit insane.
Old 12-30-14, 11:37 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
So it's quieter than the stock intake and you haven't noticed any sort of performance gain? Lol, what's the point then?! At $400 bucks a pop that sounds a bit insane.
+1 All you have done with this intake is take the plastic tube, put a metal tube there instead, and put a bigger filter.

What performance increase was expected?

All show no go
Old 12-30-14, 11:48 AM
rgonza1
Driver

Are you really expecting any significant performance gains from an intake? You have to consider the I350 F Sport is not a sports car of any sort. Even a +5 HP increase you wouldn't even be able to feel the difference. I opted for the F Sport since I'm a sucker for the F Sport line. Additionally I have seen some MPG gains. As of today I'm averaging a +3.5 MPG increase.

I do not have any buyers remorse and have been pleased with it thus far.

Ricky
Old 12-31-14, 03:36 PM
greatone99
Rookie

No one puts on an intake and highflow filter for mpg results, if it don't make an more noise ,in this case it makes less ,and no power increase that u can feel,what is the point.
Old 12-31-14, 03:46 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Originally Posted by greatone99
No one puts on an intake and highflow filter for mpg results, if it don't make an more noise ,in this case it makes less ,and no power increase that u can feel,what is the point.
So when the hood is open you can see the bright blue F-Sport decal, duh!
Old 01-04-15, 06:51 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got this when it first came out. I was dissapointed the first time i drove the vehicle after. There is no sound difference or atleast i couldnt tell. It does look cool when you open the hood. Plus its street legal. You have to seperately buy the carb sticker. I was excited to buy it when it came out. I had just installed a k&n on my tundra. It sounded great. Not so much on my IS.
Old 01-04-15, 08:45 PM
aznghetto
Driver School Candidate

I bought this intake, waiting for it to come in

Like im sure this intake might not give power or noise, but im sure it does do something. Like possible better throttle response, or even smoother throughout the power band? The reason why i chose this intake over the other ones, is because of the fact that it keeps the airbox design, from what iv seen in the past, it seems like the factory airbox is the best when it comes to intakes. The reasoning on that is that alot of intakes leave the filter exposed and it creates alot of heatsoak in the engine. It seems like this design would give it the most consistency in all different weather types, in the sense of how much air is being sucked in. Also in NA application were squeezing out HP where ever we can, and most of it you cant really feel anyways. But i wont know until I actually get the intake and put it on. Just my 2 cents , I could be wrong.
Old 01-05-15, 08:35 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know if this is a redundant post or not here but the faster the air goes in and out and the colder the air, the more power you get.

The concept of a cold air intake pipe is that the air is supposed to be drawn further away from the motor and thus cooler. It also helps that the pipe is metal which may cool the air more than the normal PVC pipe and since cold air is more dense, it will contain more oxygen and combust more completely. The higher the rate of combustion, the more power you get and the cleaner your car runs.

I agree with the other comments that you may not notice a major HP gain but in some cases it could be 20hp.

Heres a good article on cold air intakes:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-mu...intake-add.htm
Old 01-06-15, 05:10 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2112
I don't know if this is a redundant post or not here but the faster the air goes in and out and the colder the air, the more power you get.

The concept of a cold air intake pipe is that the air is supposed to be drawn further away from the motor and thus cooler. It also helps that the pipe is metal which may cool the air more than the normal PVC pipe and since cold air is more dense, it will contain more oxygen and combust more completely. The higher the rate of combustion, the more power you get and the cleaner your car runs.

I agree with the other comments that you may not notice a major HP gain but in some cases it could be 20hp.

Heres a good article on cold air intakes:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-mu...intake-add.htm
Lets take your comment and dissect it a little.

You say more air in is more air out. If the intake tube hasn't changed inside diameter, and your filter hasn't changed measurement able size, where are you getting more air in at? Also, in order to have more air in, you need to be able to get it OUT. Thus, you need an exhaust system that accommodates and increased air in-flow that such as headers, and a high flow exhaust. If you have neither of those, you maintain too high of a back pressure to gain anything from more air in.

Lets also keep in mind that your stock airbox and the aftermarket...airbox?...are both in the same location. If you want any true cold air, you need to pull it from lower in the car. So the temp of air your'e getting from the F-sport intake it probably 1-2 degrees cooler. That is all within the tolerance of your MAF sensor. So negligible.

Finally, 20HP? HAHAHA. Some of the highest end cold air intakes get 7-15hp. You will be lucky to see 1-2hp in gain from this F-sport intake.

Like I said above...all show...no go.
Old 01-06-15, 06:43 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aznghetto
I bought this intake, waiting for it to come in

Like im sure this intake might not give power or noise, but im sure it does do something. Like possible better throttle response, or even smoother throughout the power band? The reason why i chose this intake over the other ones, is because of the fact that it keeps the airbox design, from what iv seen in the past, it seems like the factory airbox is the best when it comes to intakes. The reasoning on that is that alot of intakes leave the filter exposed and it creates alot of heatsoak in the engine. It seems like this design would give it the most consistency in all different weather types, in the sense of how much air is being sucked in. Also in NA application were squeezing out HP where ever we can, and most of it you cant really feel anyways. But i wont know until I actually get the intake and put it on. Just my 2 cents , I could be wrong.
Your reasoning for buying it is exactly why it doesnt need to be purchased. Like you said, factory airbox design is best.

Here is an independent dyno of losing 10whp from installing an intake tube very similar to the Fsport...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...o-results.html

Mike
Old 01-10-15, 08:52 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like the top part of the filter is changed now? I know piror years the bottom was changed due to the bigger hole?
Old 01-10-15, 09:26 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Lets take your comment and dissect it a little.

You say more air in is more air out. If the intake tube hasn't changed inside diameter, and your filter hasn't changed measurement able size, where are you getting more air in at? Also, in order to have more air in, you need to be able to get it OUT. Thus, you need an exhaust system that accommodates and increased air in-flow that such as headers, and a high flow exhaust. If you have neither of those, you maintain too high of a back pressure to gain anything from more air in.

Lets also keep in mind that your stock airbox and the aftermarket...airbox?...are both in the same location. If you want any true cold air, you need to pull it from lower in the car. So the temp of air your'e getting from the F-sport intake it probably 1-2 degrees cooler. That is all within the tolerance of your MAF sensor. So negligible.

Finally, 20HP? HAHAHA. Some of the highest end cold air intakes get 7-15hp. You will be lucky to see 1-2hp in gain from this F-sport intake.

Like I said above...all show...no go.
For starters, this set up could easily be adapted to include a hi-flow filter, thus quicker air in.

Secondly, I said the concept behind gaining HP is the 'quicker air in and then out" rule. I didn't say that this intake alone would remedy that. I just said that that is the concept. Colder, denser air equals more HP.

Thirdly, and I was kind of vague here, I was referring to cold air intakes, not THIS cold air intake specifically. The previous poster was asking about the concept behind cold air intakes, which I described. I am NOT under the impression that THIS one would give you 20HP

Quick Reply: F-Sport Performance Intake -- INSTALLATION (w/PICS)