IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did you buy protection packages for your lease?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 11:35 AM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you buy protection packages for your lease?

Just picked up my 2015 IS350 last weekend. As all you lessees know. when you think the deal is settled, it's time to meet with the "finance manager" who tries to sell you (more like scare you into buying ...) additional protections for your PEACE of MIND. I don't remember the exact name of the package, but it covers body / wheel damages up $7,500 with each single damage less than $2,000. Here are my questions:

-- how many of you bought this package? Is Lexus really picky when you return a lease?
Old 12-23-14, 12:15 PM
oddseth
Driver School Candidate

I bought this package and it only cost me about $575 which is well worth it in my opinion. First off, when you are super excited about buying a new car, the last thing you want to have to worry about is paying to repair damage of your outgoing car. Second, if you drive your car regularly it will pay for itself over the life of the lease, especially for me since I live in DC where we have crappy drivers who ding your doors and bodywork without leaving notes and terrible streets. When I sold my previous Subaru Legacy Spec.B I had only owned it for just over 4 years but all four wheels were badly dinged and each side of the car had some kind of damage. Just refinishing the wheels alone would allow you to break even but here are my anticipated damages/expenses for my 3 year lease:

- Repair and polish 4 wheels: $600 ($150 each)
- Repaint front and rear bumpers: $800 ($400 for each body panel and that is because I go to a friend who does it on the cheap)
- Mobile Dent Repair: $400 ($100 per dent)
- Fender repair: $400
- Total Expected Cost: $2,200

And keep in mind that I am extremely good to my car compared to most. Definitely go for this package unless you are really good with a paint gun and at touch ups.
Old 12-23-14, 12:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ At $575 it's a good deal.

To the OP, however consider this. If you typically drive significantly less than the allotted lease mileage, return the vehicle as a "trade-in" near the end of the lease term. I've always done that with my Lexus leases and the evaluation has been in my favor. For my latest trade-in, I got over 2K over the buyout on my RX as equity towards my NX lease regardless of the minor hood chips, scratches on the bumpers, including on one wheel, AND a disclosed repaired rear-panel from an Armada reversing and hitting my parked RX.
Old 12-23-14, 01:15 PM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Originally Posted by oddseth
I bought this package and it only cost me about $575 which is well worth it in my opinion. First off, when you are super excited about buying a new car, the last thing you want to have to worry about is paying to repair damage of your outgoing car. Second, if you drive your car regularly it will pay for itself over the life of the lease, especially for me since I live in DC where we have crappy drivers who ding your doors and bodywork without leaving notes and terrible streets. When I sold my previous Subaru Legacy Spec.B I had only owned it for just over 4 years but all four wheels were badly dinged and each side of the car had some kind of damage. Just refinishing the wheels alone would allow you to break even but here are my anticipated damages/expenses for my 3 year lease:

- Repair and polish 4 wheels: $600 ($150 each)
- Repaint front and rear bumpers: $800 ($400 for each body panel and that is because I go to a friend who does it on the cheap)
- Mobile Dent Repair: $400 ($100 per dent)
- Fender repair: $400
- Total Expected Cost: $2,200

And keep in mind that I am extremely good to my car compared to most. Definitely go for this package unless you are really good with a paint gun and at touch ups.
That's the price I was offered as well. It is a great deal. In the DC area, it is a good investment. I didn't go for it, because my car is always garaged and there's not much traffic in my area. In the 2.5 yrs with my last lease, I got only 1 door ding fortunately.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ At $575 it's a good deal.

To the OP, however consider this. If you typically drive significantly less than the allotted lease mileage, return the vehicle as a "trade-in" near the end of the lease term. I've always done that with my Lexus leases and the evaluation has been in my favor. For my latest trade-in, I got over 2K over the buyout on my RX as equity towards my NX lease regardless of the minor hood chips, scratches on the bumpers, including on one wheel, AND a disclosed repaired rear-panel from an Armada reversing and hitting my parked RX.
Good point. This is only my 2nd lease. My first lease has less mileage than allotted and I'm returning it early. I will keep this in mind as a negotiation point when the time comes for the next lease.
Old 12-23-14, 02:04 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

IMO,

I wouldn't consider any of these and I didn't purchase any last week when I picked up my 2015 IS250 F-Sport. I think it's a rip off and a waste of money. Also, keep in mind that you can trade in your leased vehicle near the lease end to avoid any penalties, excess & wear, etc. than if you were to turn in your leased vehicle at the end of the lease. In my case, I made it very simple for the business manager! I said to him "None of the above" He said (trying to make me feel guilty) "you must have a good lawyer"
Old 12-23-14, 02:33 PM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only thing I purchased was the tire & wheel protection since it covers aftermarket wheels and tires so why not! Forgot the price I paid but it wasn't bad after replacing 3 tires in less than a year.
Old 12-23-14, 02:49 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
IMO,

I wouldn't consider any of these and I didn't purchase any last week when I picked up my 2015 IS250 F-Sport. I think it's a rip off and a waste of money. Also, keep in mind that you can trade in your leased vehicle near the lease end to avoid any penalties, excess & wear, etc. than if you were to turn in your leased vehicle at the end of the lease. In my case, I made it very simple for the business manager! I said to him "None of the above" He said (trying to make me feel guilty) "you must have a good lawyer"
Agreed. Not on a lease. My family has done plenty of leases in the past where the cars come back with normal wear and tear and no one has ever had an issue. This is especially true if you are there to lease another vehicle. I also told the dealer "no thanks" on my lease.
Old 12-23-14, 03:12 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderwuf
Just picked up my 2015 IS350 last weekend. As all you lessees know. when you think the deal is settled, it's time to meet with the "finance manager" who tries to sell you (more like scare you into buying ...) additional protections for your PEACE of MIND. I don't remember the exact name of the package, but it covers body / wheel damages up $7,500 with each single damage less than $2,000. Here are my questions:

-- how many of you bought this package? Is Lexus really picky when you return a lease?
If you take reasonable care of your vehicle, you will not have to worry about excess wear and tear charges. These packages, for the most part, are just padded profit for the dealer. We are on our 4th Lexus - traded in the other 3 - so can't say how picky they are - but from what I have read, they are not that bad.
Old 12-24-14, 02:17 PM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Originally Posted by lexi90
IMO,

It's funny how they have to make you feel guilty about not getting the package. I was told that 9 out of 10 people purchase the protection package. It wasn't easy to say no with all the scare and stare....
Old 12-26-14, 12:43 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Thunderwuf
It's funny how they have to make you feel guilty about not getting the package. I was told that 9 out of 10 people purchase the protection package. It wasn't easy to say no with all the scare and stare....
Thunderwuf, you're funny Never allowed them (salesman, finance manager, etc.) to intimidate you or push you into buying extra stuff. I learned it the hard way. We always have our 1st time, but then we learn so that there's no 2nd time