IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

nail in tire with less than 50 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 11:59 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nail in tire with less than 50 miles?

I just got my car 72 hours ago and then I got a nail in my tire (car has less than 50 miles). Will the dealership be willing to take care of this or should I take it to a tire shop and get it patched? Thanks!
Old 12-23-14, 12:50 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the dealer will fix it or change it for free...
Old 12-23-14, 02:23 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it depends on the dealership... I know mine would be nice enough to fix it for free. Give them a call and try.
Old 12-23-14, 02:41 AM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

Take it to discount tire, they do free tire repair. Do these cars come with a spare?
Old 12-23-14, 04:10 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A dealership has the capability to fix it, but they aren't going to do it for free. Its something that happens and isn't their fault.

Where did the nail go in? Into the bottom tread or into the side of hte sidewall? if its in the tread, it will be salvageable.

Gotta watch tho with dealerships, they can be careless with your stuff, and scratch your wheels when remounting the tire (if it had to come off in order to patch from the inside). Other places, like firestone may be better, or might be more careless. All depends who you can trust.

Why does everyone feel that dealerships owe them something? If you buy a shirt from Nordstrom, and then put it on, go to the food court, and spill on it, do you then try to go back to Nordstrom and get them t replace it for you?

Come on people....
Old 12-23-14, 04:29 AM
GaryHE
Driver School Candidate

I had owned my IS 350 for about 3 months when I picked up a nail in a tire. I decided to just go to my Lexus dealer, figuring it wouldn't cost too much. To my surprise, they fixed it for free.
Old 12-23-14, 05:59 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
A dealership has the capability to fix it, but they aren't going to do it for free. Its something that happens and isn't their fault.

Where did the nail go in? Into the bottom tread or into the side of hte sidewall? if its in the tread, it will be salvageable.

Gotta watch tho with dealerships, they can be careless with your stuff, and scratch your wheels when remounting the tire (if it had to come off in order to patch from the inside). Other places, like firestone may be better, or might be more careless. All depends who you can trust.

Why does everyone feel that dealerships owe them something? If you buy a shirt from Nordstrom, and then put it on, go to the food court, and spill on it, do you then try to go back to Nordstrom and get them t replace it for you?

Come on people....
No, we don't expect it. A lot of dealerships will do it for free because they want you, the customer, to return someday to make another huge purchase. So they'll suck up to you.
Old 12-23-14, 06:10 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
No, we don't expect it. A lot of dealerships will do it for free because they want you, the customer, to return someday to make another huge purchase. So they'll suck up to you.
true, but not all are that kind. (Not saying Lexus, but car dealers in general)
Old 12-23-14, 06:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sorry to hear that.

My Lexus dealer does fix them for free, however I have a local tire shop that is closer to me that I trust that also does repairs for free, so I just take it there. If your Lexus dealer is conveniently located to you, you can just call and ask a service advisor if they charge for it.
Old 12-23-14, 10:26 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012IS250
I just got my car 72 hours ago and then I got a nail in my tire (car has less than 50 miles). Will the dealership be willing to take care of this or should I take it to a tire shop and get it patched? Thanks!
Unfortunately, once you take delivery, tire issues are between you and the tire manufacturer. Also, many tire companies do not cover road hazard damage to tires - you may be on your own getting it repaired - as others have noted, if it's in the tread it may be repairable and you'll end up getting full use of the tire's life. America's Tire/Discount Tire offer free tire repair sometimes.

Hope everything works out.
Old 12-23-14, 12:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Ask the dealer if they offer "complimentary tire repair" and if not, go to your local tire repair shop and don't sweat it (typically 20$ it's plugged).
Old 12-23-14, 01:46 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

Come on people....
I am not saying this to undermine your point, so please don't take it that way. Your point is valid and neither Lexus or Nordstrom should be expected to warranty products against things they cannot control. Many years ago when I was in high school, my bud and I were being typical teenage jerks and roughhousing in my folks' driveway. This resulted in me tearing my Nordstrom leather jacket. I took it to Nordstrom to see if the tailor could repair it and I was willing to pay for the repair. The tailor said he could not fix it and Nordstrom gave me a new jacket. I certainly did not expect or demand that. It was very kind of them.
Old 12-23-14, 02:49 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

I went to one of my local America's Tire shops and they patched it up for free. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 12-25-14, 12:08 PM
nabizzy
Rookie

Originally Posted by link13
I am not saying this to undermine your point, so please don't take it that way. Your point is valid and neither Lexus or Nordstrom should be expected to warranty products against things they cannot control. Many years ago when I was in high school, my bud and I were being typical teenage jerks and roughhousing in my folks' driveway. This resulted in me tearing my Nordstrom leather jacket. I took it to Nordstrom to see if the tailor could repair it and I was willing to pay for the repair. The tailor said he could not fix it and Nordstrom gave me a new jacket. I certainly did not expect or demand that. It was very kind of them.
again not to undermine you, but nordstrom was a bad example, their return policy is so amazing lol. i have returned shoes with broken laces and stuff and gotten a full refund.
Old 12-26-14, 10:59 AM
DJTaino
Driver School Candidate

I got a nail in my tire last week at 11K miles (6mths since purchase). Called Roadside assist, thought they would patch. All they did was put me on a donut. Took it to Dealership/Service they said it would be covered for repair if I purchased the tire and wheel insurance at time of sale. Since I didn't, it cost me $67. Fortunately i was able to do my 10K service at the same visit and got a loaner car to go to work.

Quick Reply: nail in tire with less than 50 miles?