IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help i think i scratched my navi screen

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 06:41 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help i think i scratched my navi screen

I bought micro fiber suede towel and special screen cleaner barely touched it and now it looks like this!

Old 12-20-14, 05:21 PM
mikefar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I m pretty sure there is no fix for that
Old 12-20-14, 05:29 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

You didn't scratch it. Screen cleaner is the culprit it probably removed some coating.
Old 12-20-14, 07:42 PM
nmarcucci
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this happened to my nav screen after i mistakenly wiped it with my Windex rag... after i thought i was screwed i ended up just taking the entire anti-glare coating off with more windex until it was all gone. They make screen protectors that you could put on it once you get the whole coating off but I didn't find any reason to since I can't tell the difference without the coating. You can see my pictures in the my thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...av-screen.html
Old 12-20-14, 10:00 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow ouch, sorry that happened to you

You could try some Meguiar's PlastX. Though I can't say if it would make it worse as I've only used it for other plastic items. Perhaps try just a tiny bit before going crazy.
Old 12-21-14, 07:17 PM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

Default Water only.

This is the reason why I don't use any thing but a cloth made for camera lenses and my breath. I just use my breath enough to like fog a mirror and then lightly wipe with the lense cloth.
Old 12-22-14, 06:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First question.....WHY did you put anything on it?

Unless you have been spitting 2 feet, there shouldn't be anything on that screen beyond dust. You should have been able to remove it with a freshly cleaned microfiber cloth. Perhaps breathe a little hot air from your mouth as you wiped it down.

You look to have removed coating that was probably for UV protection of the screen.

You'd think was a reason Lexus designed the console so you wouldn't touch it...

People do not research things before they just apply it...they just do it...and then cry at the outcome.

smh....the coating is ruined. You may as well do what the person above said. Remove the rest, and hope the finish is salvageable. Otherwise, you are going to have ot purchase a new display. And no, warranty will not cover you.
Old 12-22-14, 07:57 AM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ouch! I had similar problem but not as bad as yours. I used one of those soft silk like cloths made for eyeglasses and took most of it away.
Old 12-22-14, 09:03 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Don't use any cleaner that has ammonia for auto interior. It will remove even the number etching in radio buttons with Windex.
Old 12-23-14, 08:31 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

Its an easy and honest mistake to do. No need to be a jerk. And honestly lexus shouldn't put fragile coatings on something that would be wiped down everytime someone cleans their car.
And who the hell would research on how to clean a plastic lens? That's ludicrous. Maybe i should research how to dust my laptop to make sure i dont fry my battery.

Originally Posted by Swacer
First question.....WHY did you put anything on it?

Unless you have been spitting 2 feet, there shouldn't be anything on that screen beyond dust. You should have been able to remove it with a freshly cleaned microfiber cloth. Perhaps breathe a little hot air from your mouth as you wiped it down.

You look to have removed coating that was probably for UV protection of the screen.

You'd think was a reason Lexus designed the console so you wouldn't touch it...

People do not research things before they just apply it...they just do it...and then cry at the outcome.

smh....the coating is ruined. You may as well do what the person above said. Remove the rest, and hope the finish is salvageable. Otherwise, you are going to have ot purchase a new display. And no, warranty will not cover you.
Old 12-24-14, 01:02 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened to mine. And I hate when people give you a lecture on what not to do after you've already done it, like they feel better about themselves saying how wise they are. I'm sure the OP feels crappy enough about this already and is not a child to be talked down at like that. Everyone can make this mistake.

Now, to deal with the problem, the only thing left to do is remove the rest. You can also use NOVUS 7100 Plastic Polish Kit (that's what i used) to remove the rest of the coating:

But the screen will now reflect everything, it'll be very annoying seeing your passenger's reflection every time. I suggest getting another anti glare film somewhere.
Old 12-24-14, 03:08 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke to the manager she said she was going to ask lexus for some assistance. Ill let you guys know what happens.
Old 12-24-14, 03:36 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkhat303
Its an easy and honest mistake to do. No need to be a jerk. And honestly lexus shouldn't put fragile coatings on something that would be wiped down everytime someone cleans their car.
And who the hell would research on how to clean a plastic lens? That's ludicrous. Maybe i should research how to dust my laptop to make sure i dont fry my battery.
Lmao. Priceless arrogance.

Lexus did what they needed to make a quality product. They can't predict people will "apply" things "just because that's how I clean my car".

You research how to best take care of your belongings. People like you are why I wish I had a shop so I could make so much money off your self inflated arrogance.

Let me guess, you apply $10 wax to your car because all wax is the same, right? Your excuse is on par with someone thinking you could blame Lexus for the swirls in your paint because "they didn't make my clear coat strong enough!", instead of doing it right and researching the best method of washing.
Old 12-24-14, 07:57 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

Actually i wash 2 bucket technique. Use da polisher with meguiars 105, 205, and finish with mazerna sealant. I am very meticulous in everything i do. I also am an engineer by trade and would never purposely design something that is meant to fail with normal use like wiping a screen. It's a poor design and you can sit here and argue with me but it's a fact.

It's pretty ironic that you're calling me arrogant but you're the one attacking the OPs honest mistake.
Originally Posted by Swacer
Lmao. Priceless arrogance.

Lexus did what they needed to make a quality product. They can't predict people will "apply" things "just because that's how I clean my car".

You research how to best take care of your belongings. People like you are why I wish I had a shop so I could make so much money off your self inflated arrogance.

Let me guess, you apply $10 wax to your car because all wax is the same, right? Your excuse is on par with someone thinking you could blame Lexus for the swirls in your paint because "they didn't make my clear coat strong enough!", instead of doing it right and researching the best method of washing.

Last edited by jbkhat303; 12-24-14 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 08:04 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

After removing the coating, you could probably purchase anti-glare screen protector made for a laptop and cut it to fit and stick it on.

Quick Reply: Help i think i scratched my navi screen