IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Traction Control off (really off)

Old 12-17-14, 10:13 AM
AKammo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control off (really off)

I have a 2014 IS 350 F Sport AWD. Can the traction control be truely turned off? You can push the Trac-off button but at 32 mph it is disabled and traction control is back in the game. The manual is no help and I've looked at numerous forums with no luck.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-14, 10:28 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IDK about the 3IS but on the 2IS if you hold the button for a few seconds it will be turned off completely.
Old 12-17-14, 11:56 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hold the trac off button down for a few seconds until you see an orange tc light on your dash.
Old 12-17-14, 11:57 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. I have an IS350 and from what I have seen based on similar threads in the forum, only the 8 speed auto models (so that would exclude the IS250 F Sport or non F) have this ability.

Hold the traction control button while the vehicle is in park until the "Trac Off" shows up on the gauge display. Should do the trick.

This also stops auto upshifts when in manual mode and allows you to bounce off the rev limiter. I have tested this out myself and it does work.

Video of someone doing it here at about 8 minutes in:
Old 12-17-14, 12:11 PM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jarabanos
Yes. I have an IS350 and from what I have seen based on similar threads in the forum, only the 8 speed auto models (so that would exclude the IS250 F Sport or non F) have this ability.

Hold the traction control button while the vehicle is in park until the "Trac Off" shows up on the gauge display. Should do the trick.

This also stops auto upshifts when in manual mode and allows you to bounce off the rev limiter. I have tested this out myself and it does work.

Video of someone doing it here at about 8 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vbs...Edo5TgaEOAg42E
I have a 250 F-Sport and I can turn it off completely with the icon displaying in my dashboard. Works on all models.
Old 12-17-14, 12:14 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Would this have to be done each time the car is started?
Old 12-17-14, 12:21 PM
AZLexTech
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PG. 236 of your Owner's Manual - "To turn the TRAC and VSC systems off, press and hold the switch for more than 3 seconds while the vehicle is stopped. The VSC OFF indicator light will come on and the “TRAC OFF” will be shown on the multi-information display.* Press the switch again to turn the systems back on."

Also, it will automatically turn back on when you restart the vehicle.
Old 12-17-14, 12:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by jarabanos
Just to clear this up a bit, the 8 speed is on all 350 RWD models (both F Sport and non F Sport). The 6 speed is on all of the others (all 250s and the 350 AWD models).

Mine is a 350 AWD, and therefore has the 6 speed. The 6 speed has this same ability. Simply hold the TRAC button for a few seconds to disable the traction control.
Old 12-17-14, 01:51 PM
AKammo
Driver School Candidate

Holding the TRAC button a second or two makes the TRAC OFF light come on as it should, but if holding the button longer makes a difference and the traction control is completley off that would be great. I'll try it and let you know.
Old 12-17-14, 02:08 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AKammo
Holding the TRAC button a second or two makes the TRAC OFF light come on as it should, but if holding the button longer makes a difference and the traction control is completley off that would be great. I'll try it and let you know.
Don't forget that the vehicle has to be parked or braked.
Old 12-17-14, 04:02 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This does not disable auto upshift. The car will always upshift on its own in manual mode. This would be great if it were true, though. Also, the button will not work if the vehicle is in park as far as I know.
Old 12-17-14, 05:04 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
This does not disable auto upshift. The car will always upshift on its own in manual mode. This would be great if it were true, though. Also, the button will not work if the vehicle is in park as far as I know.
Sorry to inform you, but mine disables auto upshift. Just like how the video on this thread is showing at around the 8th minute mark.
Old 12-17-14, 07:33 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So if you're in gear and hit redline, it'll just keep bouncing off and will never upshift? Can you please provide a video of some sort showing that in your car? And don't be sorry to inform me, I'd be only happy if this were a fact. I'm all for it, not against it. But my car, as well as most of the others, does upshift no matter what.
Old 12-17-14, 10:27 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine doesn't upshift when in total disable mode either. I was bouncing on the limiter through the gears trying to work out when to hit the paddles so it changes before the limiter.
Old 12-18-14, 01:36 PM
AKammo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
Don't forget that the vehicle has to be parked or braked.
Yup, thanks. Figured it out last night, it has to be in park.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction Control off (really off)