Traction Control off (really off)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 06:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
#1 Start your car
#2 Press the traction control button for a few second until the orange light apears on the cluster.
#3 Shift it from P to manual mode, NOT D.
#4 Test Drive

Make sure you don't miss any of these step.
I think putting it into manual mode is one of the key point to let the ECU know you want it to shift it yourself. LOL
Nah, even if I do those exact steps mine will shift at redline. Mine is a fairly early build '14, so I tend to agree there was a software change somewhere along the way.
Old 05-03-15, 04:16 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Nah, even if I do those exact steps mine will shift at redline. Mine is a fairly early build '14, so I tend to agree there was a software change somewhere along the way.
I cannot disable my traction control on the bmw as well and find out it needs to be in Sport + mode.

You might want to try it again?

Start your car
Sport + mode
Press the traction control off button for a few second until you see the light is off
go into +/- manual mode and now test drive.
Old 12-27-18, 11:49 PM
inphamucan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to revive an old thread, does turning off traction control allow you guys to control when to shift? My IS will shift after redline automatically even in manual mode.
Old 12-30-18, 12:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by inphamucan
to revive an old thread, does turning off traction control allow you guys to control when to shift? My IS will shift after redline automatically even in manual mode.
Yes. If you hold the TC button down for a couple of seconds while at a complete stop, TC will be fully off. You should see a "TRAC OFF" warning in the gauge cluster and an orange light.

OK after doing that, shift the gear selector into M mode, and you should be able to hit the rev limiter freely.
Old 12-30-18, 03:56 PM
Damiancyk9
Driver School Candidate

Default Traction completely off but...

When doing a burnout on manual mode 1st gear the wheels spin but once it hits redline for 2 seconds it cuts the power. Does anyone know a way to disable this?
Old 09-19-20, 02:10 PM
atomicbmx
Driver School Candidate

Did anyone ever find a fix to this? Can I just have a dealer update my software?
Old 09-21-20, 06:17 AM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

You have to do the pedal dance to turn it all the way off. With this method you can control shifts in sport plus manual mode. Even bounce off the rev limiter if you want.
  1. With the car off, engage the e brake
  2. Press and hold the brake
  3. Turn the car on
  4. Release the brake and pump the brake pedal 3 times holding it in on the 3rd pump
  5. While holding the brake in, release the e brake and then engage the e brake 3 times. On 3rd time, leave the e brake engaged
  6. Release the brake, and pump the brake twice. You’ll see the trac off indicator light turn on after pumping the brake the 2nd time.
  7. Release the e brake, put into S+, put into M mode
  8. Enjoy
Old 09-21-20, 06:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ScytheDC
You have to do the pedal dance to turn it all the way off. With this method you can control shifts in sport plus manual mode. Even bounce off the rev limiter if you want.
  3. Turn the car on
  4. Release the brake and pump the brake pedal 3 times holding it in on the 3rd pump
  5. While holding the brake in, release the e brake and then engage the e brake 3 times. On 3rd time, leave the e brake engaged
  6. Release the brake, and pump the brake twice. You’ll see the trac off indicator light turn on after pumping the brake the 2nd time.
  8. Enjoy
Thanks for sharing. However, in my experience, there's no reason to do this when you can just do the long press of the TC button while stopped. I have driven the car in the snow and could not tell a difference between pedal dance versus TC full off.

The only thing I can't say is whether it'd allow you to do a burnout. How to do a burnout is what was being asked.
Old 09-21-20, 06:52 AM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Thanks for sharing. However, in my experience, there's no reason to do this when you can just do the long press of the TC button while stopped. I have driven the car in the snow and could not tell a difference between pedal dance versus TC full off.

The only thing I can't say is whether it'd allow you to do a burnout. How to do a burnout is what was being asked.
There is a difference. If you’re not doing the pedal dance, you’re nannies are not fully off. Where you’ll notice the difference is on dry pavement when you’re pushing the car.

To do a burnout:
  1. Pedal dance, S+, and M mode
  2. Press brake
  3. Press gas gently until you hear the rear tires break loose
  4. Once you hear the tires, feather the throttle into high rpms
  5. Release the brake while giving gas
  6. Check your rear view for smoke
The following users liked this post:
s0ar (12-04-22)
Old 09-21-20, 08:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars

There is a difference. If you’re not doing the pedal dance, you’re nannies are not fully off. Where you’ll notice the difference is on dry pavement when you’re pushing the car.

To do a burnout:
  2. Press brake
I see, so... the purpose of a pedal dance is to allow burnouts. For all intents and purposes.

I could swear this topic has come up before and been determined to be impossible, so very interesting to see that the answer was right there the whole time.
Old 09-21-20, 08:50 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

3. Turn the car on
  8. Enjoy
i can bounce off rev limiter, spin tires etc in my 2015 350 AWD fsport by pressing and holding TRAC off button for 3 full seconds at a complete stop. Are you sure this actually does anything different?
The following users liked this post:
Farizzl3 (09-21-20)
Old 09-21-20, 01:59 PM
atomicbmx
Driver School Candidate

To do a burnout:
  2. Press brake
Huh. That doesn't work on my car either. So there really is no way to do this on early 2014 models?
EDIT
As of today I have more insight for early 2014 owners. I finally found a way to make the car bounce off the limiter. I did the pedal dance, put the car in manual sport plus and did a first gear pull, the car shifted automatically at redline like normal. I took the car to a parking lot and for the first time, tried to do some donuts, the car spins and bounces off the limiter just as any non 2014 would, I did this a few times over just to be sure it wasn't a fluke. So in conclusion the car will bounce off the limiter while burning tires, but not during normal driving. I can't think of any explanation as to why this would be.

Last edited by atomicbmx; 10-29-20 at 08:37 PM.