IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 02:59 PM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy Cracked Windshield

Was pulling out of my driveway today and heard a pop sound, what the he## was that? Looked the car over and didn't see anything initially so continued driving. Wend about 1/4 mile and when approaching a stop sign noticed a hairline crack on the passenger side windshield going from the roof down about 4 inches. Since I wasn't driving when I heard the sound and not behind any other cars, what could have caused this? Called my service rep and will bring it in tomorrow. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Old 12-16-14, 07:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

That's too bad. Could have started with a small chip and with the colder weather and slight flex driving down your driving (and turning into the road) would have caused the crack. Look closely along the crack for a small chip.
Old 12-16-14, 08:15 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Already, bro? Do you have any idea of what caused it? Rock chip? Something flew over the car and hit windshield?? Was there significant damage? Post a picture.
Old 12-17-14, 05:17 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was probably chipped, and when you turned on your heat and it hit the cold windshield it caused the crack. It will get replaced, no big worry.
Old 12-17-14, 06:56 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think the dealer will replace it for free. You might have to go through your insurance. In Florida, its free to replace the windshield with no deductible and the insurance company cannot raise your rates by Florida law. I just had mine replaced with a new Lexus Windshield, the tech showed me the price of the windshield which was $1,418 and Lexus labor charge of $249 but nothing out of my pocket.
Old 12-17-14, 09:39 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my windshield replaced about three weeks ago. It was a stone chip initially then it cracked spread rapidly so I had to initiate an emergency repair the same day. The good news the installer had an OEM Lexus windshield in stock. Lexus windshield supplier is AGC Glass Corporation. If you look carefully you will see that on the right lower corner. Anyways, the insurance paid for the claim I made. The windshield costs around $1,100 and $400 for installation. Wow that is expensive.

I always thought once the windshield gets replaced it will never be same anymore. But so far no wind noise, no weird vibrations at high speed and nothing unusual. So I am assuming it got done right. One thing to keep in mind NEVER EVER let Safelite touch your car. You will regret if you do so. Do it through your dealer. They should have business connections with reputable shops in your area.
Old 12-17-14, 10:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
One thing to keep in mind NEVER EVER let Safelite touch your car. You will regret if you do so.
Agreed 1000%. They damaged a previous car of mine on a window replacement. When I pointed it out to them they told me it didn't matter because it wasn't that nice of a car anyway...
Old 12-17-14, 10:48 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
NEVER EVER let Safelite touch your car. You will regret if you do so.
^^this

Originally Posted by JDR76
Agreed 1000%. They damaged a previous car of mine on a window replacement. When I pointed it out to them they told me it didn't matter because it wasn't that nice of a car anyway...
Wow...I don't know what to say to that.
Old 12-17-14, 12:38 PM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
That's too bad. Could have started with a small chip and with the colder weather and slight flex driving down your driving (and turning into the road) would have caused the crack. Look closely along the crack for a small chip.
You are correct corradoMR2, there was a tiny chip the size of a pinhead, so small I never even noticed it when washing the car. Not sure how long the chip was there or how it got there (overly aggressive squirrels chucking acorns perhaps). Dealer ordered the new windshield and will be there tomorrow ... $900 later my insurance only covers 45% for glass.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked Windshield-windshield.jpg  

Last edited by ISTORO; 12-17-14 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 03:26 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
They would have received a few choice words from me for this statement.
Old 12-17-14, 07:17 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a nice horizontal crack running on mine, just received my quote for replacement $650.00 installed Lexus glass.

Y'all are getting screwed on your prices.
Old 12-17-14, 07:21 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPI007
They would have received a few choice words from me for this statement.
+1 Me too!
Old 12-17-14, 07:53 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dagobert
Have a nice horizontal crack running on mine, just received my quote for replacement $650.00 installed Lexus glass.

Y'all are getting screwed on your prices.
I didn't get screwed, Not one red cent came out of my pocket.
Old 12-18-14, 05:33 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPI007
I didn't get screwed, Not one red cent came out of my pocket.
he was referring to the other guys.. you are an exception and don't count towards the population of people who have to pay for their windshield replacement.
you're covered by your "state law"... you guys always get some kind of benefit down there.. no cost for windshield replacement, no annual car property tax, ya'll suck! though i don't envy you for the heat you have to deal with lol.
Old 12-18-14, 05:39 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
he was referring to the other guys.. you are an exception and don't count towards the population of people who have to pay for their windshield replacement.
you're covered by your "state law"... you guys always get some kind of benefit down there.. no cost for windshield replacement, no annual car property tax, ya'll suck! though i don't envy you for the heat you have to deal with lol.
What's a car property tax? You forgot one other thing, there is no state tax here either!

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield