IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Any Accountants/CPA/CMA on here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 12:05 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
hey salvadorik thanks for you response and for your helpful advise, yes i am going to try to get the certification before i start job searching. i want to get everything done as soon as possible. some people find the material boring, and yes some parts are just very dry but then there are some parts which i really like!

i chose the 3IS simply because I've loved the IS line since the first gen. When the IS first came out i was only 9 or 10 years old and i always told my dad i would get an IS one day. Then when the ISF came out and i first saw one in USB i fell more in love with the car. The F line is currently out of my price range, but hey you never know, with the degree and CPA i could get one in a few years maybe! When they introduced the 3IS i knew i had to get it and saved and put my mind to it and got the color combo i wanted even though it took me 6 months to get it. i love the car so far and love the looks i get while driving! how about you? what made you choose the 3IS?
My story re 3IS is a little bit different than yours. To be honest I have never been a fan of Lexus. In my mind, they have always been very comfortable, expensive and boring cars. In 2012 I bought a loaded Audi A6 and I thought I would keep that vehicle for as long as it runs. Unfortunately I was one of very few owners who happen to get a lemon. Otherwise I loved everything about it - I still do! It was like finding a perfect soul mate. After that bad experience I purchased 3IS because of primarily of two reasons: relative affordability and unmatched reliability. I do like 3IS and especially how it handles. I love the exterior styling and some (not all) parts of interior. My biggest gripe is the engine in this car. This engine/transmission whine that comes at higher RPM just does not give that satisfactory experience. If Lexus just had similar engine as many German cars have (such as 3.0 supercharged/turbocharged engines) this car would be a piece of jewelry.

I will probably end up trading this vehicle for something like Audi S3 down the road (maybe a year or two). I would do it this year but I want to wait so that Audi gets rid of all the bugs that usually come with the first year model. Please don't get me wrong 3IS an awesome vehicle for the price but only if it had a nice engine and this vehicle would be unbeatable winner in the compact car segment.
Old 12-15-14, 02:03 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP930
Majored in finance but have a lot of friends in the Big 4. I feel like the stereotype of accountants being boring is only true when you compare it to the lifestyle of people in finance (i'm referring to the ibanking side, not so much the corporate finance side). Accounting usually has good salary, steady promotions, some perks, good exit opportunities, and some long hours (varies from 60-80 depending on season). It's a fairly safe and smart career choice and it tends to attract people who want a stable job with some work-life balance. People who value that type of career are usually more risk-averse and some people tend to associate risk-averse people with boring people (which is where i think the boring accountant stereotype comes into play).

On the other hand, recent college grads in ibanking tend to work 80-120 hours a week and don't have much of a social life outside of the office. You have to slave away but when bonus season comes around you'll likely get a ridiculous $50-$70k check, depending on what firm you work for and how many deals are closed that year. It's work hard, play hard for these guys,which is why you hear of all the crazy things that happen in finance.

Sorry went a little bit away from your question there. Back to accounting.

Most of my friends working in the Big 4 had to network their Jr. year to get that important summer internship. 95% of people who go through the summer internship end up with a full-time offer. They all started studying for their CPA after they started working because the firm pays for the tests and also gives you a nice bonus when you pass. Very few of them really enjoy what they do and can't wait to leave after they put in their 2 years. IMO, accounting is pretty dry and I really have a hard time believing people who say they love it. A lot of people love their firm and the people they work with but the actual work itself is really dry.

But on the bright side, there are very good exit opportunities if you start your career in accounting. Finance firms LOVE people that come from accounting so you'll have a lot opportunities to transition over to something you might like better after working a few years and getting your CPA. That's what most of my friends did.

Do you already have an offer? If not, your best bet is to reach out to recruiters and network that way (linkedin, email, etc). You can also just apply directly but your chances are much better going through a recruiter. Also, from what all my friends tell me, if you're already graduating with a degree in Accounting then there's no reason for you to get a Master's in accounting. All USC Leventhal grads so their advice has to be somewhat credible.

Hope this helps!
They work for only 2 years? Why only 2? Where do they go after that?
Old 12-15-14, 02:27 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
They retire!
Old 12-15-14, 03:11 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
A lot of people who start out at the Big 4 usually leave after they get their CPA and finish their 2-year program. There's a pretty big demand for experienced CPAs in the finance field. Most of the people I know go into corporate finance (financial planning & analysis) but I've seen a few go into the M&A side (where the real $$$ is). The main reason why people leave Big 4 after 2 year is that they could find better paying jobs with more perks and less hours.
Old 12-15-14, 03:50 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Oops! forgot to mention I drive a Black/Black IS350 Fsport!
Old 12-15-14, 06:19 PM
nova123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salvadorik
My biggest gripe is the engine in this car. This engine/transmission whine that comes at higher RPM just does not give that satisfactory experience.
I thought I was the only one hearing it, no one else seems to complain..

That stupid noise does my head in as well, the only way to counter is louder music but when I want quietness it just doesn't work.. Eco mode reduces it but still does my head in!

Only half way through my program - can't say it is the most interesting field but it does matter who you work for.

IS350
Ultrawhite/Cabarnet
Old 12-16-14, 02:43 PM
byro
Driver School Candidate

I'm from Toronto so I'm not sure if anyone is interested about the CPA process in Ontario/Canada.

I obtained my designation (CPA,CA) this year with one of the Big 4 and decided to leave recently to a private company looking to go public in the next few years. Pretty much everything that's been mentioned rings true. Busy times are highly cyclical depending on the industry that you audit. When you're in your busy season, it's anywhere between 60-90 hour weeks. When it's quiet however, you're looking at about 30-35 hour weeks, in which most of it is spent surfing the net, running errands, and taking long lunches without anyone batting an eye. I'd say it balances itself out.

As for the car talk: I got myself a 2015 Obsidian/Rioja Red IS350 AWD F-Sport two weeks ago as a parting gift and as my new commuter.
Old 12-16-14, 02:48 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Senior Tax Auditor here.
Being an young accountant that hasn't graduated from 4-year and having a 3IS...
You probably don't need any of my advice.

2015 IS350F Black/Black
Old 12-17-14, 03:47 PM
steco
Driver School Candidate

Didn't realized i have so many colleagues on here. I learned so much just reading all of your comments. Your comments are really informative and helpful.
A little about me, i'm graduating this semester with a BA in accounting. I'm currently working as a payroll tax analyst for a private firm. My current position right now isn't dealing with a whole lot of accounting but it does open up some new opportunities for me in corporate payroll tax. Now, i'm kind of not sure if i should pursue the payroll side and get a CPP or look for another position that more on the accounting side and get the CPA. But yeah, that's where i'm at right now.
2007 is250 white pearl/black