IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Any Accountants/CPA/CMA on here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 05:08 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Any Accountants/CPA/CMA on here?

just a fun thread i thought i would post so see how many 3IS drivers are in accounting/finance as a career. I am currently still in school and will be graduating with my bachelors in accounting this coming spring. Doing my masters and then taking the CPA. Someone recently told me accountants are pretty boring people with no personality, but then said for someone doing accounting you sure have a nice car, with a lot of character.
-that person was just an ignorant *** i know lol. but just curious as to how many of you in this profession are on here and drive 3IS'. also any advice for a young accountant going into the field?! what to expect etc!

Ill start it off!
AWD 350 Fsport White/Red
Old 12-13-14, 07:24 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an accountant but I have traded stocks for a living for several years now. Is that considered finance in your book?

IS 350 F Sport, Joe Z intake and exhaust.
Old 12-13-14, 08:16 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an accounting degree however I work for a state regulatory and enforcement agency here in Los Angeles. I have to have a background in accounting and auditing, but it's not exactly what I do. I may have an accounting degree but I am Far Far far from boring

Last edited by dstopsie; 12-15-14 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-13-14, 09:28 PM
NebulaIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

degree in Finance, work in Accounting...honestly all types of people work in accounting. as for advice, i dunno...nothing I've done in real world accounting even remotely resembles anything I learned in school.
Old 12-14-14, 12:47 PM
sTeadFasT
Driver School Candidate

I personally do not own a 3IS but will soon be jumping brands to Lexus and I have spent a lot of time with the cars and Lexus enthusiasts.

I too am finishing up school and I will start with Ernst & Young in January. Lets just say a lot of the professionals I've met in accounting can be very far from "boring with no personality/character", including their cars.

A major tip of advice I've heard repeatedly more than anything else is to finish the CPA before you go full-time.
Old 12-14-14, 04:21 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Hello shivad87. I graduated Masters in Taxation (major tax and minor in accounting). Currently have been working as a tax accountant at small CPA firm. I guess there are two avenues in accounting to pursue, public accounting and private account. The public account is basically CPA firms and any type of accounting service that you provide to public. Private accounting is when you work for an institution that employs accountant(s) for internal management reasons and as such. Generally accounting is very technical field and it does not require the same communication skills as compared to someone who works at marking department for instance. And you usually encounter people in accounting who are very technical and they try to quantify everything when communicating to people. That is just something natural to us. And this may seem a bit boring to many people, hence there is this perception. Having said that to stereotype accountants as boring people is just simply wrong. That shows the uneducated, narrow minded personality. People are different doesn't matter what profession they chose. You will see that yourself when you get to field. Now my suggestion to you is along with college keep working on your CPA exam. Try to pass all four section before you complete the college. Then it will very easy to find a job and in a year you will become a fully fledged CPA.

Now lets switch to the main subject of this forum, 3IS. Tell us what made you chose this vehicle? How do you like it so far?
Old 12-14-14, 07:18 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Larry96815
Not an accountant but I have traded stocks for a living for several years now. Is that considered finance in your book?

IS 350 F Sport, Joe Z intake and exhaust.
haha it certainly is larry!

Originally Posted by dstopsie
I have an accounting degree however I work for a state regulatory no Forssman agency here in Los Angeles but have to have a background in accounting and auditing it's not exactly what I do. Well I may have an accounting degree I am Far Far far from boring
yes i agree, unfortunately some people are just ignorant.

Originally Posted by NebulaIS
degree in Finance, work in Accounting...honestly all types of people work in accounting. as for advice, i dunno...nothing I've done in real world accounting even remotely resembles anything I learned in school.
its funny because i have heard the same, real life is much different than what we learn in school.

Originally Posted by sTeadFasT
I personally do not own a 3IS but will soon be jumping brands to Lexus and I have spent a lot of time with the cars and Lexus enthusiasts.

I too am finishing up school and I will start with Ernst & Young in January. Lets just say a lot of the professionals I've met in accounting can be very far from "boring with no personality/character", including their cars.

A major tip of advice I've heard repeatedly more than anything else is to finish the CPA before you go full-time.
wow!! congrats on making into one of the big 4! and yes i agree its just a common misconception.
Old 12-14-14, 07:23 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Hello shivad87. I graduated Masters in Taxation (major tax and minor in accounting). Currently have been working as a tax accountant at small CPA firm. I guess there are two avenues in accounting to pursue, public accounting and private account. The public account is basically CPA firms and any type of accounting service that you provide to public. Private accounting is when you work for an institution that employs accountant(s) for internal management reasons and as such. Generally accounting is very technical field and it does not require the same communication skills as compared to someone who works at marking department for instance. And you usually encounter people in accounting who are very technical and they try to quantify everything when communicating to people. That is just something natural to us. And this may seem a bit boring to many people, hence there is this perception. Having said that to stereotype accountants as boring people is just simply wrong. That shows the uneducated, narrow minded personality. People are different doesn't matter what profession they chose. You will see that yourself when you get to field. Now my suggestion to you is along with college keep working on your CPA exam. Try to pass all four section before you complete the college. Then it will very easy to find a job and in a year you will become a fully fledged CPA.

Now lets switch to the main subject of this forum, 3IS. Tell us what made you chose this vehicle? How do you like it so far?
hey salvadorik thanks for you response and for your helpful advise, yes i am going to try to get the certification before i start job searching. i want to get everything done as soon as possible. some people find the material boring, and yes some parts are just very dry but then there are some parts which i really like!

i chose the 3IS simply because I've loved the IS line since the first gen. When the IS first came out i was only 9 or 10 years old and i always told my dad i would get an IS one day. Then when the ISF came out and i first saw one in USB i fell more in love with the car. The F line is currently out of my price range, but hey you never know, with the degree and CPA i could get one in a few years maybe! When they introduced the 3IS i knew i had to get it and saved and put my mind to it and got the color combo i wanted even though it took me 6 months to get it. i love the car so far and love the looks i get while driving! how about you? what made you choose the 3IS?
Old 12-15-14, 04:40 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

My BS in Business Administration is in both accounting and finance. I graduated in 2010. Then I went back after working for a couple of years for my Masters in Taxation (I kept working full time while taking my classes full time). And I've since changed companies. I'm a senior tax analyst in corporate tax for a large corporation. I actually just picked up a promotion too last week. I really love this field. Being specialized in corp tax has opened tons of doors for me and I actually find tax super interesting. I'm planning to start a review course here soon and get the CPA exam out of the way.
Old 12-15-14, 06:44 AM
HTXLexus
Driver School Candidate

14 IS 350 UW/Black

Bachelor's & Master's in Accountancy here. Going through CPA exams now. I work in Financial Reporting for an oil/gas company. As far as advice, if you plan on going into public (especially big 4), then you should really try to get an internship with them first. Especially in audit. Most grad schools work with all the big 4 and give you plenty of opportunities to get your foot in the door with one of them for a "busy season" internship.

When I started grad school I told myself I wanted to be an auditor for one of the Big 4. After doing an internship with them you could not pay me enough to go work in public accounting. Just my .02, it's not for everyone.
Old 12-15-14, 08:36 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

People make stupid generalizations about a lot of professions. My tax guy is a CPA and we spend most of my tax appointment shooting the breeze. He's a super cool guy and anything but boring. He's worth every dime I pay him because he knows tax law better that the IRS does.
Old 12-15-14, 08:49 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Degree in Finance, work in corporate finance. Love my job! Also drive a 2015 IS350 F-Sport, UW/RR
Old 12-15-14, 11:15 AM
charmander
Driver School Candidate

I have a degree in Economics but work in a field where accounting is very prevalent. I am a commercial credit analyst (and also do some commercial lending) for a private bank (risk analysis, etc. for commercial loans). The job consists of analysis of many financial statements, creating projections, etc. An accounting degree doesn't have to constrain you to that field alone. I like my job for what it is, which is a day job to get me through until I can get my business to prosper enough to support me full time. I must admit that I'm the only one in the office who's really into cars, but I have a few accountant friends who are very into cars. I have a 2015 3IS F sport but had S2000s, a BRZ, STi, etc. before.

Good luck with school/work, etc.
Old 12-15-14, 11:24 AM
sukjaec
Driver School Candidate

Accountant here. Graduated with a bachelor's in accounting, currently working at a public accounting firm, and recently passed all CPA exams.
And just joined the forum with an 2015 IS250 purchased last Saturday!
Old 12-15-14, 11:31 AM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Originally Posted by shivad87
just a fun thread i thought i would post so see how many 3IS drivers are in accounting/finance as a career. I am currently still in school and will be graduating with my bachelors in accounting this coming spring. Doing my masters and then taking the CPA. Someone recently told me accountants are pretty boring people with no personality, but then said for someone doing accounting you sure have a nice car, with a lot of character.
-that person was just an ignorant *** i know lol. but just curious as to how many of you in this profession are on here and drive 3IS'. also any advice for a young accountant going into the field?! what to expect etc!

Ill start it off!
AWD 350 Fsport White/Red
Majored in finance but have a lot of friends in the Big 4. I feel like the stereotype of accountants being boring is only true when you compare it to the lifestyle of people in finance (i'm referring to the ibanking side, not so much the corporate finance side). Accounting usually has good salary, steady promotions, some perks, good exit opportunities, and some long hours (varies from 60-80 depending on season). It's a fairly safe and smart career choice and it tends to attract people who want a stable job with some work-life balance. People who value that type of career are usually more risk-averse and some people tend to associate risk-averse people with boring people (which is where i think the boring accountant stereotype comes into play).

On the other hand, recent college grads in ibanking tend to work 80-120 hours a week and don't have much of a social life outside of the office. You have to slave away but when bonus season comes around you'll likely get a ridiculous $50-$70k check, depending on what firm you work for and how many deals are closed that year. It's work hard, play hard for these guys,which is why you hear of all the crazy things that happen in finance.

Sorry went a little bit away from your question there. Back to accounting.

Most of my friends working in the Big 4 had to network their Jr. year to get that important summer internship. 95% of people who go through the summer internship end up with a full-time offer. They all started studying for their CPA after they started working because the firm pays for the tests and also gives you a nice bonus when you pass. Very few of them really enjoy what they do and can't wait to leave after they put in their 2 years. IMO, accounting is pretty dry and I really have a hard time believing people who say they love it. A lot of people love their firm and the people they work with but the actual work itself is really dry.

But on the bright side, there are very good exit opportunities if you start your career in accounting. Finance firms LOVE people that come from accounting so you'll have a lot opportunities to transition over to something you might like better after working a few years and getting your CPA. That's what most of my friends did.

Do you already have an offer? If not, your best bet is to reach out to recruiters and network that way (linkedin, email, etc). You can also just apply directly but your chances are much better going through a recruiter. Also, from what all my friends tell me, if you're already graduating with a degree in Accounting then there's no reason for you to get a Master's in accounting. All USC Leventhal grads so their advice has to be somewhat credible.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Any Accountants/CPA/CMA on here?