IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 F-Sport vs RC 350 F-Sport / Which one would you buy and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 11:13 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I love my IS...however if I ever see one the ultrasonic blue RCs at a dealership I am afraid my impulse tendencies may kick in
Old 04-03-15, 12:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by budman1
We drove both the IS 350 and RC 350 F Sports and ended up with the IS 350.

In the end, it was the practicality of the sedan (four doors, better visibility) and lower price that made the IS the right choice for us.
The RC is such a porker though. How is it 150-200 lbs heavier than the already beefy IS?
Old 04-03-15, 12:54 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the front section is bigger than an IS since its a GS front section, and the midsection is from an IS-C which is stiffened
Old 04-03-15, 01:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the front section is bigger than an IS since its a GS front section, and the midsection is from an IS-C which is stiffened
The interior volume is a joke though. Even smaller backseats than my G35 coupe. They should have tweaked the engine a little to offset the weight increase.
Old 04-06-15, 09:37 AM
chuongzzz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
I feel you! I thought the RC was overpriced when I saw it. I mean, don't get me wrong - it's a nice coupe, but there are others out there with more power and for less money (i.e. G37) I think both the RC and IS are nice cars. I don't think the front of the RC is ugly.
I think the font of RCF is much better
Old 04-06-15, 04:55 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a chance to thoroughly drive both RC350 F-Sport and IS350 F-Sport again. A new RC350 and a new IS350.

For fun factor, the RC350 leads by a good margin. Even though that car is heavier and wider, it feels so much smaller when driven spiritedly. It does definitely handle better than the IS. And brakes work wonderfully in this car. I braked hard a few times, and every time the brakes felt more than adequate.

Well, my assumption about the IS350 that I previously drove was correct, that was a bad batch... or the dealer did something to screw with it. The new IS350 F-Sport that I drove was a lot of fun. Felt lighter, quicker, more nimble than the other IS350 F-Sport that I drove.
Why? Doesn't matter. The point is that I got to play with a "good" IS350.
This time, the IS350 was fun to drive. The other IS350 that I drove was not.

So the IS350 is lighter, a fraction of a second quicker.. but it still does not "feel" as quick as the RC350. The RC350 feels as if it gets up and goes much faster. As in.. I put my foot on the floor, and the RC350 moves. I put my foot on the floor with the IS350, and it takes half a second to respond to that. (Both were in Sports+ mode)

The braking is not as confidence-inspiring as the RC350. During my spirited driving, there was maybe one or two times where the brakes didn't fail me, but the thought "uh oh.. I need to press the brake harder" crossed my mind. Yes, it's a lighter card compared to the RC, but the RC350 F-Sport does have a different braking system and larger brake discs compared to the IS350 F-Sport (Japanese and US specs are not the same)

The RC350 was more fun to drive. It felt smaller, lighter, quicker. However, in terms of driving, where I found the IS350 to be superior was your eye's confidence. To my hands, butt, and legs... the RC350 felt more confident. It felt like I could push it more and more. With the IS350, I didn't feel AS confident. However, with the IS350, my front, side, and rear visibility was much clearer compared to the RC350. So even though the mechanical part of the car was not as confident inspiring, I felt that I knew my limits because I could see exactly where the car was. With the RC350, I did have a bit of a visibility limit, but I felt confident because I felt I could trust the car more. Does that make sense?

Both are fun cars. The RC350 was more fun. But because of the difference in trust (trust the car vs trust your eyes), I feel the RC350 would be more fun in a track and the IS350 would be more fun in an unexplored curvy mountain road.
So that's my conclusion on the driving experience.

Just a few things I'd like to point out about the interior.
Seats, navi, and stereo.

I still prefer the front seats in the RC350. For me, those seats are just perfect. They hold me just right, they're extremely comfortable, and no part of my body felt "forced". The small difference that I found with the IS350 front seats are the shoulder support. My shoulder felt a little uncomfortable with the IS350 front seats. I have a bad shoulder, so maybe that is why I was a little sensitive with that part. Overall, both have great front seats, but I give the edge to the RC350.

Rear seat though, IS350 by wide margin. The back seat is soooooooo comfortable! You could sleep back there. Can't do that in the RC.
And that pointless plastic center part in the back of the RC really bothers me. You can't do anything with that. That little cup holder in the back of the IS makes a world of a difference to me.

Navigation system.
I played a lot with both cars because I wanted to get used to the RC's trackpad-like control. Really, the only thing that I found favorable to the RC's control was that you can pinch in and out to zoom in and out of the map. But really, as much as I tried, I really didn't like the trackpad control. It felt to intrusive while driving.

Mark Levingston stereo.
I did not get a chance to listen to the Mark Levingston system in the IS. I listened to it in the RC and the GS (same components as the IS). I will say, I think the stock stereo system sucks. My Honda's stereo sounds so much nicer than Lexus' base stereo. Honestly, for a car in this price range, I would expect something decent. I honestly did not find it to be decent.
So moving on to the Mark Levingston. In the GS, the ML was pretty nice. In the RC, it sounded a lot better to me. And the bass actually had good presence in the RC, and the separation in music felt more.. controlled in the RC. The bass could have been attributed to the two extra inches in the sub. The separation being controlled though... I felt that the RC was better tuned than the GS. Either way, nice stereo.
It is worth the price? No way. I used to install stereos way back, and a $1k~$1.5k in speakers would get you a much nicer system. But in Japan, it would cost $2k to get a similar stereo installed.. plus installation. Plus the fact that Lexus warranty is very strict here, it may be worth it to just pay the $2400 for the Mark Levingston stereo if you want nice sound.

As a pure fun car, I have to give it to the RC350 F-Sport. However, this last test drive that I did really showed me that the IS350 F-Sport is fun as well. Is it as much fun as the RC350? No. I would say it's about 85-90% the fun of the RC350 F-Sport.
But when I think about the interior part of the car, the IS350 wins for me.
Old 04-07-15, 06:14 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chuongzzz
I think the font of RCF is much better
I agree! RCF is a winner
Old 04-07-15, 06:15 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by audioqueso
I had a chance to thoroughly drive both RC350 F-Sport and IS350 F-Sport again. A new RC350 and a new IS350.

For fun factor, the RC350 leads by a good margin. Even though that car is heavier and wider, it feels so much smaller when driven spiritedly. It does definitely handle better than the IS. And brakes work wonderfully in this car. I braked hard a few times, and every time the brakes felt more than adequate.

Well, my assumption about the IS350 that I previously drove was correct, that was a bad batch... or the dealer did something to screw with it. The new IS350 F-Sport that I drove was a lot of fun. Felt lighter, quicker, more nimble than the other IS350 F-Sport that I drove.
Why? Doesn't matter. The point is that I got to play with a "good" IS350.
This time, the IS350 was fun to drive. The other IS350 that I drove was not.

So the IS350 is lighter, a fraction of a second quicker.. but it still does not "feel" as quick as the RC350. The RC350 feels as if it gets up and goes much faster. As in.. I put my foot on the floor, and the RC350 moves. I put my foot on the floor with the IS350, and it takes half a second to respond to that. (Both were in Sports+ mode)

The braking is not as confidence-inspiring as the RC350. During my spirited driving, there was maybe one or two times where the brakes didn't fail me, but the thought "uh oh.. I need to press the brake harder" crossed my mind. Yes, it's a lighter card compared to the RC, but the RC350 F-Sport does have a different braking system and larger brake discs compared to the IS350 F-Sport (Japanese and US specs are not the same)

The RC350 was more fun to drive. It felt smaller, lighter, quicker. However, in terms of driving, where I found the IS350 to be superior was your eye's confidence. To my hands, butt, and legs... the RC350 felt more confident. It felt like I could push it more and more. With the IS350, I didn't feel AS confident. However, with the IS350, my front, side, and rear visibility was much clearer compared to the RC350. So even though the mechanical part of the car was not as confident inspiring, I felt that I knew my limits because I could see exactly where the car was. With the RC350, I did have a bit of a visibility limit, but I felt confident because I felt I could trust the car more. Does that make sense?

Both are fun cars. The RC350 was more fun. But because of the difference in trust (trust the car vs trust your eyes), I feel the RC350 would be more fun in a track and the IS350 would be more fun in an unexplored curvy mountain road.
So that's my conclusion on the driving experience.

Just a few things I'd like to point out about the interior.
Seats, navi, and stereo.

I still prefer the front seats in the RC350. For me, those seats are just perfect. They hold me just right, they're extremely comfortable, and no part of my body felt "forced". The small difference that I found with the IS350 front seats are the shoulder support. My shoulder felt a little uncomfortable with the IS350 front seats. I have a bad shoulder, so maybe that is why I was a little sensitive with that part. Overall, both have great front seats, but I give the edge to the RC350.

Rear seat though, IS350 by wide margin. The back seat is soooooooo comfortable! You could sleep back there. Can't do that in the RC.
And that pointless plastic center part in the back of the RC really bothers me. You can't do anything with that. That little cup holder in the back of the IS makes a world of a difference to me.

Navigation system.
I played a lot with both cars because I wanted to get used to the RC's trackpad-like control. Really, the only thing that I found favorable to the RC's control was that you can pinch in and out to zoom in and out of the map. But really, as much as I tried, I really didn't like the trackpad control. It felt to intrusive while driving.

Mark Levingston stereo.
I did not get a chance to listen to the Mark Levingston system in the IS. I listened to it in the RC and the GS (same components as the IS). I will say, I think the stock stereo system sucks. My Honda's stereo sounds so much nicer than Lexus' base stereo. Honestly, for a car in this price range, I would expect something decent. I honestly did not find it to be decent.
So moving on to the Mark Levingston. In the GS, the ML was pretty nice. In the RC, it sounded a lot better to me. And the bass actually had good presence in the RC, and the separation in music felt more.. controlled in the RC. The bass could have been attributed to the two extra inches in the sub. The separation being controlled though... I felt that the RC was better tuned than the GS. Either way, nice stereo.
It is worth the price? No way. I used to install stereos way back, and a $1k~$1.5k in speakers would get you a much nicer system. But in Japan, it would cost $2k to get a similar stereo installed.. plus installation. Plus the fact that Lexus warranty is very strict here, it may be worth it to just pay the $2400 for the Mark Levingston stereo if you want nice sound.

As a pure fun car, I have to give it to the RC350 F-Sport. However, this last test drive that I did really showed me that the IS350 F-Sport is fun as well. Is it as much fun as the RC350? No. I would say it's about 85-90% the fun of the RC350 F-Sport.
But when I think about the interior part of the car, the IS350 wins for me.
So.... which one are you buying?? Curious to know based on your comments and reviews about both cars
Old 04-07-15, 08:35 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexi90
So.... which one are you buying?? Curious to know based on your comments and reviews about both cars
IS350 F-Sport
Old 06-16-15, 06:34 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

What I don't understand is why the RC350 is several thousand more than the IS350 when they are exactly the same performance wise.
Old 06-16-15, 07:01 PM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a baby coming so.....no choice. got a 4 door
Old 06-16-15, 07:26 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
What I don't understand is why the RC350 is several thousand more than the IS350 when they are exactly the same performance wise.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...26990550408124

All business lol. People would spend a few more grand on a stylish coupe. To be honest, I think my IS 350 F-Sport is sexy enough.
Old 06-18-15, 05:22 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Same here! It's called "profit pocketing"
Old 06-18-15, 05:23 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...26990550408124

All business lol. People would spend a few more grand on a stylish coupe. To be honest, I think my IS 350 F-Sport is sexy enough.
Agree. The IS w/ F-Sport is sexy enough already!
Old 06-18-15, 08:54 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus RC350 all the way it look way better and don't see many on the street.

Quick Reply: IS 350 F-Sport vs RC 350 F-Sport / Which one would you buy and why?