IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 F-Sport vs RC 350 F-Sport / Which one would you buy and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 07:26 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default IS 350 F-Sport vs RC 350 F-Sport / Which one would you buy and why?

Hello guys,

I wanted to ask the CL community for your opinion on two hot cars:

a. IS350 F-Sport
b. RC350 F-Sport

Which one would you buy and why? Give specific reasons

As I've come to my vehicle search, I am considering both vehicles. My specific reasons:

IS350 F-Sport:
Pros: its looks, more spacious than RC, have always been a fan of IS, lots of mods available
Cons: can't think of one yet

RC350 F-Sport:
Pros: its looks again, it's a coupe! will turn many heads and necks
Cons: less spacious than IS, not too many parts out there to customize it

At this point, I don't consider space an issue as most of the times I'm riding solo. However, having owned coupes in the past I know how annoying can be to fold that seat to access the back. Post your opinions!
Old 12-10-14, 08:18 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're into looks, the RC coupe beats the IS sedan. If you don't mind the extra 3-5 grand despite the fact that they both share the same engine, (and the RC is slower) then the coupe is for you. If it's just going to be you and a chick in the car, the RC is for you!

I got the sedan because I'm always picking up and driving friends around. But the ladies still love it!
Old 12-10-14, 08:34 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought the 2015 IS350 F-Sport. On the day I purchased it, the dealer had their first RC350 shipments. It (RC350) was definitely a nice looking car and I've always wanted a coupe. That being said, I checked out the backseats and its tiny! The IS already has limited (relative) backseat space, space issues are compounded with the RC, but that's just the nature of a coupe.

Performance wise, you're not giving up anything. However, if you want to get technical, the RC gives up 250 lbs more.

They also subtle changed the layout of the center console. The mouse is replaced with a trackpad, which I assume is better.

Lastly and most importantly, I had a GREAT deal on the IS350. RC350, they weren't budging as much.

If I were to do it again, I'd still give the nod to IS350 with all factors considered.
Old 12-10-14, 08:40 AM
scarboy693
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS for me too. Personally I wanted a Sedan anyway since I like the practicality. Plus the RC350 loaded up is about 4K more plus as anthony mentioned, its a new car so the price gap will only increase since dealers are willing to budge on the IS's price
Old 12-10-14, 08:54 AM
chuongzzz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I planned to get the RC350 fsport when it arrive the dealer , after I took a look and test drove it , I feel it's not worth for $55,000 (I owned the Infiniti g37s before and it's much better if u drive and compare it) , it's exactly the same interior and engine with is350 , just different exterior but the RC 350 front is ugliest while the is350 front is very nice so will u pay $10,000 more just for 2 door ? I change my mind and bought the is350 3 weeks ago , save $10k to upgrade something fun for my is350 .

Last edited by chuongzzz; 12-10-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 09:04 AM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I don't need the rear doors, I'd get the RC in a heart beat. I saw the RC at the dealer this weekend, the lines are beautiful. IMO the RC represents the true L-finesse design philosophy. The IS is like a stretched RC, a Panamera to a 911.
Old 12-10-14, 10:24 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Im going to make believe I didn't lease a 3IS 350 F a year ago and I was looking today to buy today. I would get the RC 350 F. Its a sexier car for sure, I think there is actually more room in the front seats than the IS (but I could be wrong), back seat not so much, RC is pretty limited for back seat passengers. I do love the IS I have though.

Originally Posted by lexi90
Hello guys,

I wanted to ask the CL community for your opinion on two hot cars:

a. IS350 F-Sport
b. RC350 F-Sport

Which one would you buy and why? Give specific reasons

As I've come to my vehicle search, I am considering both vehicles. My specific reasons:

IS350 F-Sport:
Pros: its looks, more spacious than RC, have always been a fan of IS, lots of mods available
Cons: can't think of one yet

RC350 F-Sport:
Pros: its looks again, it's a coupe! will turn many heads and necks
Cons: less spacious than IS, not too many parts out there to customize it

At this point, I don't consider space an issue as most of the times I'm riding solo. However, having owned coupes in the past I know how annoying can be to fold that seat to access the back. Post your opinions!
Old 12-10-14, 10:50 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd still go with the IS. I can't get over how ugly the rear of the rc is. That, and the fact that they aren't really discounting the rc, you can save about $7-8,000 getting the IS right now
Old 12-10-14, 01:30 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd pick the IS over RC (F-Sport versions) any day
The IS is simply more convenient, better looking, and cheaper!
Old 12-10-14, 02:02 PM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

Depends what your needs are...if you need a useable backseat then don't even think about the RC...there is ZERO backseat room. When I sat in one in the showroom, the back of the front seat touched the backseat.

If you don't need a backseat, then the coupe is sportier and looks better (opinion of course).

I have a 3 month old, so I had to go with the IS35 F Sport...but if I didn't have a baby, I would've gotten the coupe.
Old 12-10-14, 02:14 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

I hate to say it but from the side the RC looks like am Infinity/Nissan coupe to me.

Looks good from the front and rear but not enough to overcome that side profile.
Old 12-10-14, 02:17 PM
hoya08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350SWFL
Depends what your needs are...if you need a useable backseat then don't even think about the RC...there is ZERO backseat room. When I sat in one in the showroom, the back of the front seat touched the backseat.

If you don't need a backseat, then the coupe is sportier and looks better (opinion of course).

I have a 3 month old, so I had to go with the IS35 F Sport...but if I didn't have a baby, I would've gotten the coupe.
Ditto... if it weren't for my two younglins, I would've ordered an RC instead of an IS. Even with my short-legs, there's not much rear leg-room in the RC.
Old 12-10-14, 02:22 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350SWFL

wouldnt say zero but maybe youre a big guy. I adjusted the front seat for my driving position then sat behind it, I had about 2 finger gap between knees and the seats. Im 5'9". Backseat reminded me of sitting the backseat of a GTR. Headroom though was pretty low, only 1.5" for me when sitting back there.
Old 12-10-14, 02:55 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
If you're into looks, the RC coupe beats the IS sedan. If you don't mind the extra 3-5 grand despite the fact that they both share the same engine, (and the RC is slower) then the coupe is for you. If it's just going to be you and a chick in the car, the RC is for you!

I got the sedan because I'm always picking up and driving friends around. But the ladies still love it!
Funny - "you and a chick in the car" I definitely agree with you! RC beats the IS looks, but in reality both cars are nice looking. Sometimes I have to pick up my sister or my parents, so that's why I know the IS would be a better fit.
Old 12-10-14, 02:57 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the IS and would choose it again over the RC. I am past middle aged. I find the IS seats more comfortable than the RC. Also, the "flames" simulated coming out of the rear end are a little to young looking for me.

However, the RC is a beautiful vehicle. If I were much younger, I would choose the RC.

Quick Reply: IS 350 F-Sport vs RC 350 F-Sport / Which one would you buy and why?