IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Performance chip

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 01:53 AM
l5JLlll
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cFoo
I really hate to say it, but you bought the wrong car. It sounds like what you really want are American V8 muscle cars. If you're not into American, there is a huge selection from AMG or the IS F. They have the characteristics you described.
Agreed
Old 12-11-14, 06:39 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrdriv
Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen one word about Performance Chips. Are there any PC's for the IS 350 F Sport? I would love to gain more HP and Torque, not to mention better gas millage.
Originally Posted by JDR76
See this thread, as well as the threads linked in it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ecu-flash.html
I'm actually doing this for the CL community which would help others to debunk whether it works or doesn't. I think someone in the IS-F community did it and found no results so I will do it for the 4th gen GS and 3rd gen IS. I'm getting a dyno this weekend before it is installed and then after I have driven the estimated 200 +miles. Here is the link to my thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-flash.html
Old 12-11-14, 07:18 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
There is awesome hp and torque after 4800RPM but until that the car feels weak. The problem with revving all the time to get to that powerband is that it doesn't look right from outside. The car becomes loud and it attracts too much attention. That is a problem. Otherwise I wont complain at all about the power it makes at high rev range.
Originally Posted by Swacer
+1 If you want torque on demand, you need a large displacement V8.

Keep in mind, Japanese cars are notoriously high revving engines. Which means you need to be willing to run the car between 5500-6500 RPM to get the true power that the car has.

The IS-F, while it states that it has 416hp, is all high revving also. You take a IS-F for a test drive, and then take a Camaro (for example, since its 426hp), you will notice the Camaro "has more power" because you're spending more time in its power curve. But if someone would let you take an IS-F and really beat on it, you would notice the power is almost equal at high RPMs. Just depends how you drive.

Just the nature of the way the engines are built. The power is there, you just have to hit the power curve in the right place.
Originally Posted by salvadorik
I think you misunderstood me. What I meant is the low end torque/grunt usually seen on forced induction vehicles. It does not have to be V8 in order to get that characteristic. Look what Germans do now, 3.0 L turbo or supercharged six cylinder engines. You get plenty of torque at your disposal starting at 1.5K RPM and these cars do a great job keeping you at sweet spot by properly programming the tranny. American V8s and ISFs (including the new RCF) also have high revving engines and in order for you enjoy the car you have got keep the car at high rev range. Look what M4 does, it has a great 3L inline 6 engine with torque curve very broad (max torque 1.5K - 5.5K). Or there is another example, look at 2L 4 cylinder engines on Audi S3 and Mercedes CLA 45 AMG. These engines simply laugh at 2GR-FSE, as they are a lot more potent and consume considerably less gas (win win). In a real world, where most of us will be driving, FI engines are the most enjoyable ones. I hope now it makes more sense.
It's interesting to read everyone's perspective and experience in regards to the 3rd Gen IS350 and the power delivery of the 2GR-FSE as being "high-revving". If you look at the 2006 IS350 2GR-FSE dyno graph below, you'll note that the 2GR-FSE has approximately 90% of its max torque available from as low as 2,000 RPMs.

When the 2nd Gen IS350 made its debut in 2005, the vehicle was highly-praised as having V8-like torque delivery and horsepower (besting the current Mustang V8 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times) while providing V6 fuel-efficiency. There's been multiple threads posted in CL on the difference in power delivery between the 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen IS350 (as well as the 1st Gen RC350) with the 2IS350 feeling more responsive and "torquey" (especially at WOT from a dig) despite having the same engine, which is why many 2IS owners are able to achieve 0-60 times in the mid-to-high 4s and 1/4 mile times in the low-to-mid 13s.

From what I've observed with the other comparison threads, the weight and gearing difference between the two generations are suspected to be the primary reasons as to why there's a presumed lack of power for the 3IS350 and RC350 in comparison to the 2IS350. Now that I'm reading about the characteristics of the 3IS350 needing high-revs to be in the power band, I'm wondering if it's possible that Lexus changed the fuel map on the ECU and that the torque delivery for the 3IS350 is more like the IS-F's where the torque gain is progressive and not near-instant like the 2IS350's power band as shown on the attached image.

Any thoughts to this theory?
Attached Thumbnails Performance chip-specbox-10.gif  
Old 12-11-14, 07:23 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I'm actually doing this for the CL community which would help others to debunk whether it works or doesn't. I think someone in the IS-F community did it and found no results so I will do it for the 4th gen GS and 3rd gen IS. I'm getting a dyno this weekend before it is installed and then after I have driven the estimated 200 +miles. Here is the link to my thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-flash.html
Thanks for being a guinea pig with this VR tune.

There's a fairly-new CL member with a 3rd Gen IS350 that also bought the VR module and he recently did a before and after dyno comparison:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8814688

Originally Posted by LexSense
Results are in! Getting the graph printout scanned in now - will update post soon!

Positive results so far

Edit:

Dyno Settings:
Dynoed under 6th gear, Trac held off for 3+ secs, Sport Manual Mode
Temps: 69-71F (Stock Dyno)

Temps: 80-82F, Higher Humidity from Scattered Showers that day (VR Tuned Dyno)
VR Tuned Run Performed after 123 miles (10,577 to 10,700) with mixture of (Auto) Normal Mode, Sport/+, and (Manual) Normal Mode, Sport/+
Mustang Dyno

3 Stock Runs
*Note: First Run (#3) was probably due to the engine not being up to temp yet.

Best Stock Run Isolated

After VR Tuned - Best Before and After

3 VR Tuned Runs

My apologies for the bad color on the graphs, the printer they used wasn't great - edited to best of my abilities :/
Old 12-11-14, 07:46 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, only if this showed real results!
Old 12-11-14, 08:01 AM
bigblack06

Well I shall see rather test it and get it out of the way that way people can make a better decision. I'm skeptical as well but rather than sit back I'd rather find out if it's real or B.S.

P.S. I'm not using a mustang dyno I'm in Boston so will find out kind of dyno when I get there.
Old 12-11-14, 09:38 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Well I shall see rather test it and get it out of the way that way people can make a better decision. I'm skeptical as well but rather than sit back I'd rather find out if it's real or B.S.

P.S. I'm not using a mustang dyno I'm in Boston so will find out kind of dyno when I get there.
The big question here is what happens after a month or so. Will the ECU reset to original factory specs? A dyno after 1000 miles would be nice.
Old 12-11-14, 10:29 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Larry96815
The big question here is what happens after a month or so. Will the ECU reset to original factory specs? A dyno after 1000 miles would be nice.
A little to close maybe 1500 miles will do to see if anything has changed.
Old 12-13-14, 04:55 AM
Loe
Pole Position

I'm actually surprised by how much this car will gain with a simple tune. This will be HUGE if it does stay consistent over the miles. However, for $600-$700, I would not mind owning this unit even if it meant that I would have to reflash every 1500 miles (every 1.5-2months, it's apparently a very easy/simple task to do) for those types of gains.
Old 12-13-14, 11:00 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Loe
I'm actually surprised by how much this car will gain with a simple tune. This will be HUGE if it does stay consistent over the miles. However, for $600-$700, I would not mind owning this unit even if it meant that I would have to reflash every 1500 miles (every 1.5-2months, it's apparently a very easy/simple task to do) for those types of gains.
I know what you are saying but I think the reset would be gradual not all at once. So you reset it and in a week you lose 5 HP, 2 weeks 10 HP, 3 weeks 15 HP............. so you never really know if your car is in top performance mode or not.
Old 12-13-14, 12:19 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know what you are saying but I think the reset would be gradual not all at once. So you reset it and in a week you lose 5 HP, 2 weeks 10 HP, 3 weeks 15 HP............. so you never really know if your car is in top performance mode or not.
Correct, that and it wont probably be a set mileage either, meaning performance can degrade at 100 miles, 200 miles, etc.

However, after reading their technical document - this "flash" is overriding the software limitations that the manufacturers put in. This means that when you put the pedal to the floor, the PCM will only allow a maximum torque and HP value of say 80%. This supposedly changes that limitation and makes it per say, 100%, unlocking that power that is "already" built in.

I'm sure it's doing more than simply that, but this is the most simple explanation I can fathom. If this was also the case, then I don't see the PCM relearning itself either - as from a programmers perspective, unless the PCM has some hard coded values that will overwrite its own settings given some condition... once a new value is set for max, that value should stay set that way.
Old 12-13-14, 12:38 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexSense
Correct, that and it wont probably be a set mileage either, meaning performance can degrade at 100 miles, 200 miles, etc.

However, after reading their technical document - this "flash" is overriding the software limitations that the manufacturers put in. This means that when you put the pedal to the floor, the PCM will only allow a maximum torque and HP value of say 80%. This supposedly changes that limitation and makes it per say, 100%, unlocking that power that is "already" built in.

I'm sure it's doing more than simply that, but this is the most simple explanation I can fathom. If this was also the case, then I don't see the PCM relearning itself either - as from a programmers perspective, unless the PCM has some hard coded values that will overwrite its own settings given some condition... once a new value is set for max, that value should stay set that way.
I hope you are right.
Old 12-13-14, 12:56 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope you are right.
Me too
400+ miles and ticking.
Old 12-14-14, 05:46 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Oh, I see what you are saying. That makes sense since adaptation is gradual.
Old 12-15-14, 10:03 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I follow their instagram and they get bagged on by Lexus/BMW owners lol. Then the comments would get deleted a few hours later. I don't think I can really trust this product yet. Too many had tried to crack the ECU but none was considerably successful at it, maybe one from the older generations but I haven't heard from it for a while now.

Quick Reply: Performance chip