IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Owned car for roughly 8 months and it finally happened. Nimrod opens door on my car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 05:14 PM
craigsager
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owned car for roughly 8 months and it finally happened. Nimrod opens door on my car.

I didn't catch who did it, but I'm sure it was today during lunch. And I'm sure it's a reddish car since he left his paint behind. Luckily no dents, but this looks like it can only happen if some idiot swung his door wide open.

http://imgur.com/a/1WnmU

Would a simple buff and wax take this off? I ran my fingernails 90 degrees to the damage and it gets rough around the area but I don't feel a deep digging or anything. I don't have any equipment to buff and wax. If it's cheap (less than $50), I'd prefer to take it to someone who can do it. Would an autobody paint shop be appropriate?
Old 12-08-14, 06:07 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Damn I would have been pissed and yes it should buff out it isn't a deep scratch gotta love people who just to give two craps about others car.
Old 12-08-14, 06:14 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a tiny bit of paint thinner on a rag gently rub it then wax it.
Old 12-08-14, 06:37 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry this happened to you. I know how you feel too, mine went only about 3 days before I got my first door ding, luckily PDR took it out.

A few weeks later I got another one in a mall parking lot, again PDR. But now, after getting more, at some point it just stopped bothering me, that is, unless it's blatantly obvious and big.

Yours look like it would buff out though, just gently buff and polish, maybe go over it with a clay bar too.
Old 12-08-14, 08:26 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

Do not use paint thinner on that. Use meguiars 105 with a DA polisher. It should take it right off. Follow with meguiars 205 to get the shine back and apply a wax or sealant on top
Old 12-08-14, 10:21 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It shocks me how people don't respect other people's belongings. I was sitting at work once and parked my 2IS right in front of the office door/window. So I look out and I see a woman who looks like she weighs a ton just swing her door open right into my drivers door, she didn't close it but just kept it there for a good minute while someone was bouncing in the car and scratching my door. I came out and nicely asked her to close her door just a little bit to stop hitting my door, all she did was looked at me and said ****** off before I kick your a**. Anyways that's out of context but it looks like you can get that buffed out.
Old 12-09-14, 02:20 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lysis250
It shocks me how people don't respect other people's belongings. I was sitting at work once and parked my 2IS right in front of the office door/window. So I look out and I see a woman who looks like she weighs a ton just swing her door open right into my drivers door, she didn't close it but just kept it there for a good minute while someone was bouncing in the car and scratching my door. I came out and nicely asked her to close her door just a little bit to stop hitting my door, all she did was looked at me and said ****** off before I kick your a**. Anyways that's out of context but it looks like you can get that buffed out.
This would have went a tad bit different for me, We will start with the part when you walked out the door. The scenario would have went as follows: Are you **** kidding me? Look what the **** you are doing to my door? Are you going to pay for this damage or should we get your insurance company involved?
Old 12-09-14, 05:09 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^ I was trying to be nice, She did however close the door and they just left a minute later.
Old 12-09-14, 05:54 PM
dashmer
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexSense
Sorry this happened to you. I know how you feel too, mine went only about 3 days before I got my first door ding, luckily PDR took it out.

A few weeks later I got another one in a mall parking lot, again PDR. But now, after getting more, at some point it just stopped bothering me, that is, unless it's blatantly obvious and big.

Yours look like it would buff out though, just gently buff and polish, maybe go over it with a clay bar too.
Where do you park? Must be at the front of the parking lot.... Otherwise really bad luck...
Old 12-09-14, 05:54 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't look too bad, hopefully there are no dents
Old 12-09-14, 06:27 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPI007
This would have went a tad bit different for me, We will start with the part when you walked out the door. The scenario would have went as follows: Are you **** kidding me? Look what the **** you are doing to my door? Are you going to pay for this damage or should we get your insurance company involved?
+1 to that!

Originally Posted by lysis250
^^^ I was trying to be nice, She did however close the door and they just left a minute later.
That would have been pretty hard for me to blow off - at least you were able to keep your cool.

Originally Posted by dashmer
Where do you park? Must be at the front of the parking lot.... Otherwise really bad luck...
Yeah it's just really bad luck, that and people in this particular city just don't give a ****. Even when I try to avoid trucks - somehow one ends up next to me when I come back. Parking far away sometimes helps, but there's always that one guy who just has to park next to you. With gas prices being pretty cheap nowadays, trucks are ever more common too XD!

I try to minimize dents now by parking next to garage pillars or where there's only a possibility of 1 car being next to you.
Old 12-10-14, 05:45 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a surface scratch. Meguiers scratch remove should remove it.

--------------------------

Same thing happened to my Q50. Right on the body line. I waited for the perps to show up and they denied everything. Even though it was a perfect match. (mark on the edge of her door, and ding on my door).

Her car was a Hyundai SUV. I tried to run her plates online, but came out with nothing.

Old 12-10-14, 06:28 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

I definitely would not have left the person leave without getting their info and calling my insurance.

However, you can probably go to a body shop and have that paint mark cleaned up for a minimal price. It's good that it's not a dent or a scratch.

And yeah, no matter how you park or where you park, you find jerks. I get to work about 45 mins earlier than I used to (since getting the IS) so that I get a corner parking spot in a really nice garage. And then yesterday I come back to my car and see this:

It was fine because I dont think there was anyone in the passenger seat, but dang.
Old 12-10-14, 07:00 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tC2IS350
I definitely would not have left the person leave without getting their info and calling my insurance.

However, you can probably go to a body shop and have that paint mark cleaned up for a minimal price. It's good that it's not a dent or a scratch.

And yeah, no matter how you park or where you park, you find jerks. I get to work about 45 mins earlier than I used to (since getting the IS) so that I get a corner parking spot in a really nice garage. And then yesterday I come back to my car and see this:

It was fine because I dont think there was anyone in the passenger seat, but dang.
I used to hate it when I was in school and the damn garage was the only place to park with all them idiots. I had a bastard door ding after 3 days of owning my first new car - '12 Scion TC. It pissed the hell out of me, but then after some time you get used to it. Not saying it doesn't matter, but after a while you feel normal.
Old 12-10-14, 07:03 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by vbx
Looks like a surface scratch. Meguiers scratch remove should remove it.

--------------------------

Same thing happened to my Q50. Right on the body line. I waited for the perps to show up and they denied everything. Even though it was a perfect match. (mark on the edge of her door, and ding on my door).

Her car was a Hyundai SUV. I tried to run her plates online, but came out with nothing.

+1 here. Same thing happened to me at the bank while I was waiting there. I saw the young lady and I waited for her to come out. I nicely told her that she had hit my car and that I had seen her doing so. She said she didn't notice herself doing so, but at least she was nice enough to apologize + she was a hot girl

Quick Reply: Owned car for roughly 8 months and it finally happened. Nimrod opens door on my car.