Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lease S4
Buy IS350
Old 12-03-14, 07:11 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove a used 2013 S4 yesterday for the hell of it. It has soooo much more power than my 2014 350 Fsport it was shocking, the extra torque was extremely evident. The DCT transmission is 10x better than the Lexus in shift times and the downshift throttle blips are 100% seamless.

I also drove a new A3 turbo quattro and to be honest, it felt as fast as my IS. After looking at some test numbers at Motor Trend, the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are very, very similar....this coming from a 220 hp 4 cylinder in the A3. The lateral acceleration and figure 8 times lean heavily towards the A3. I have to be honest here, the performance, gas mileage, and handling of the IS 350 is not on par with the competition.

I'm considering an S3 but at this point, I have only seen one in mags and/or online. My local Audi dealer will have one next month.....gonna check it out. I also want to look at the new Golf R when it comes out which is built on the same platform and has the same drivetrain as the S3.

To answer the OP's question, If I could afford the S4, I would definitely get it! I also believe the quality of the Audi vehicles is getting much better than the other German cars.
Old 12-03-14, 10:16 AM
scarboy693
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend owns an S4 and I've got the IS350 so I've spent plenty of time driving both. Speed wise there's no contest, the S4 is a missile and the S-Tronic is one hell of a transmission too. Handling wise, I'd say they're on par. My friends S4 has the Adaptive Suspension and we've taken both cars up to the mountain roads and I have no problem keeping with him and we both drive pretty hard. Interior wise I say on par but I find my IS Seats more comfy than the Audis and my friend agrees on that too. Steering is where I think the Lexus is better. I don't have the variable ratio steering but I think its weighting and response is really good and the S4's steering feels light and numb in comparison.

I even thought of the S4 myself but I'm not fully convinced its 12-15K better. Honestly, it all depends on what you're looking for. If straight line speed is your main concern and money isn't an object then go for the S4. Frankly speaking I'd still get my IS. its not the fastest but I don't really care. Its still Plenty quick enough and its a beautifully made car that I know will last a long time without issues. It still puts a smile on my face whenever it and I haven't regretted buying the car in the 9 months and 11K miles I've had it.
Old 12-03-14, 11:47 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jaznraz
I test drove a used 2013 S4 yesterday for the hell of it. It has soooo much more power than my 2014 350 Fsport it was shocking, the extra torque was extremely evident. The DCT transmission is 10x better than the Lexus in shift times and the downshift throttle blips are 100% seamless.

I also drove a new A3 turbo quattro and to be honest, it felt as fast as my IS. After looking at some test numbers at Motor Trend, the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are very, very similar....this coming from a 220 hp 4 cylinder in the A3. The lateral acceleration and figure 8 times lean heavily towards the A3. I have to be honest here, the performance, gas mileage, and handling of the IS 350 is not on par with the competition.

I'm considering an S3 but at this point, I have only seen one in mags and/or online. My local Audi dealer will have one next month.....gonna check it out. I also want to look at the new Golf R when it comes out which is built on the same platform and has the same drivetrain as the S3.

To answer the OP's question, If I could afford the S4, I would definitely get it! I also believe the quality of the Audi vehicles is getting much better than the other German cars.
Come on.... I mean yeah IS350 is underpowered and is gas thirsty and all that but saying A3 feels as fast as IS350 is just not right. I drove A3 2.0 Quattro and while it was quick, IS350 is much quicker. You aslo feel there is a substantial turbo lag on A3 and it is kinda annoying. Now S3 is a totally different car. S3 is awesome and it is really fast, sounds glorious and has great handling. If S3 had been in the market when I was shopping a year ago I would definitely have bought it. Even now it is hard to buy S3, you have to order it. Dealers wont discount even a penny unless you have some manufacturer's incentives (loyalty, conquest, etc). S4 is just too expensive for me, otherwise as I mentioned before it is a great car (leagues ahead of 3IS).
Old 12-03-14, 12:06 PM
nova123
Driver School Candidate

I think you're comparing mainly initial acceleration, which ofcourse turbo has it's advantage..

Try to go on more open road and go WOT, it's the top end where the IS350 shines.. Probably can't outpace an S4 but an A3 - come on!

Have you guys tried to do max speed? I got to 180km/h and noticed how much noise entered the cabin - considering how heavy this car was I would have expected a lot more insulation
Old 12-03-14, 12:48 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, just giving my thoughts. I wasn't able to get the Audi's above 55mph due to the city streets, so I didn't get a feel for faster speeds.

Motor Trend testing data:
IS 350 Fsport RWD = 5.5 zero to 60 and 14.0 @ 99.8 mph in the 1/4 mile
A3 2.0 quattro = 5.6 and 14.3 @ 98.3 mph

IMO, those numbers are pretty similar but the IS does pull away as the speed increases.
Old 12-03-14, 03:37 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scarboy693
My best friend owns an S4 and I've got the IS350 so I've spent plenty of time driving both. Speed wise there's no contest, the S4 is a missile and the S-Tronic is one hell of a transmission too. Handling wise, I'd say they're on par. My friends S4 has the Adaptive Suspension and we've taken both cars up to the mountain roads and I have no problem keeping with him and we both drive pretty hard. Interior wise I say on par but I find my IS Seats more comfy than the Audis and my friend agrees on that too. Steering is where I think the Lexus is better. I don't have the variable ratio steering but I think its weighting and response is really good and the S4's steering feels light and numb in comparison.

I even thought of the S4 myself but I'm not fully convinced its 12-15K better. Honestly, it all depends on what you're looking for. If straight line speed is your main concern and money isn't an object then go for the S4. Frankly speaking I'd still get my IS. its not the fastest but I don't really care. Its still Plenty quick enough and its a beautifully made car that I know will last a long time without issues. It still puts a smile on my face whenever it and I haven't regretted buying the car in the 9 months and 11K miles I've had it.
Puts a smile on my face too. Perfect driving position and ergonomics for me. I also smile when people get caught up in how fast a car is. Here in LA, I never get to use even what the IS 350 offers. I opened her up on the way to Carmel and got a ticket. Where do all the speed demons go to enjoy their fast Audi's often enough to justify the premium?
Old 12-03-14, 03:43 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Glashub
Puts a smile on my face too. Perfect driving position and ergonomics for me. I also smile when people get caught up in how fast a car is. Here in LA, I never get to use even what the IS 350 offers. I opened her up on the way to Carmel and got a ticket. Where do all the speed demons go to enjoy their fast Audi's often enough to justify the premium?
Ohh trust me you can enjoy low end grunt even in city traffic. Doesn't mean you need to speed to enjoy fast cars. It just that feeling where car accelerates fast coupled with a glorious engine and exhaust note provides you with an addictive but pleasurable feeling. Also, when you know that there is tons of power available on demand is good reassuring feeling.

The thing that I hate the worst is when the cars sound and look very aggressive but don't pull accordingly. Not saying that IS350 is like that but it is clear that low end torque leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 12-03-14, 04:13 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh I know. I grew up with American muscle V-8's and my car prior to this was the Genesis Tau V-8. My first car was a 365hp Chevy with a 4:11 gear, positraction, and a Hurst 4 speed. Used to put wool pads in the tail pipes to quiet it down. When I raced the wool pads would blow out and shock the heck out of everyone. It's a thrill to know that much power is there BUT I wouldn't pay about a 12K premium simply for that. Like most things -- the thrill wears off and only something bigger, faster, with more torque will fix it. My friend has an iPhone 6 Plus -- always raving about the big screen. Where does he go from there? lol I'd like better gas mileage.

Last edited by Glashub; 12-03-14 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 08:18 AM
suxel4life
Driver School Candidate

Can you please let me know which choice you made? which car to go? I am in the same boat as you but I want to research first. I know exactly what I'm looking for but not sure if I want to give the S4 a test drive. I want to get the IS 350 in full in the next week or two.
Old 12-04-14, 09:24 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by suxel4life
Can you please let me know which choice you made? which car to go? I am in the same boat as you but I want to research first. I know exactly what I'm looking for but not sure if I want to give the S4 a test drive. I want to get the IS 350 in full in the next week or two.
I think you should still get the S4 a chance for a test drive. You don't really lose anything doing so. It's a beautiful car and it's up to you if you can decide that 10k-15k more expensive makes sense.
Old 12-04-14, 09:35 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS350 is an amazing car, but the S4 is a beast. I don't think the S4 is worth 10-15k more but it's definitely a lot more fun to drive and easier to upgrade if you ever want to go that route.
Old 12-04-14, 11:20 AM
nova123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaznraz
Motor Trend testing data:
IS 350 Fsport RWD = 5.5 zero to 60 and 14.0 @ 99.8 mph in the 1/4 mile
A3 2.0 quattro = 5.6 and 14.3 @ 98.3 mph

IMO, those numbers are pretty similar but the IS does pull away as the speed increases.
Oh wow - the A3 2L is this quick? wtf lol doesn't look like the IS can pull away at all

I should have went to test drive the more cars before getting the IS lol, not that I regret it cause I do love the looks and interior but I can't say I am completely satisfied with performance
Old 12-04-14, 11:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I do like the S4, but the exterior design is lacking any real passion, in my opinion. I did a search for new S4s near me, and 7 came up in my search, all ranging from $49k to 59k, so they really aren't that much more money (though lease rates are more expensive), at least optioned the way they are around here.
Old 12-04-14, 12:00 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nova123
Oh wow - the A3 2L is this quick? wtf lol doesn't look like the IS can pull away at all

I should have went to test drive the more cars before getting the IS lol, not that I regret it cause I do love the looks and interior but I can't say I am completely satisfied with performance
I think you are good with 3IS if you compare it with A3. I did drive a new A3 extensively even had it for several days (through my connections with Audi). A3 is not a sports car at all. It has adequate driving dynamics but nowhere close to IS350 F Sport (even non F Sport). A3 has a very noticeable turbo lag, especially if you drive right after NA engine car. The reason A3 has good 0-60 number is because: one - It has four wheel traction, two - it weighs around 3300lb (which is pretty impressive) due to extensive use of aluminum. You can even get APR ECU software upgrade and bump hp and ft to 300, which will bring it to an S3 territory speedwise. But make no mistake it is not an S3 even with that power upgrade. S3 is a totally different animal. Everything is upgraded in S3 (chassis, suspension, powertrain etc). As matter of fact, fully loaded S3 costs same as fully loaded IS350 F Sport. S3 is smaller in size and has a smaller interior but if that does not bother a buyer then S3 (IMO) is a better choice.

As far as the S4 is concerned it is just in a totally different league. Even though ISF compares with RS4 but in a real world setting I would compare S4 to ISF. It is just that far ahead of IS350.

Last edited by salvadorik; 12-04-14 at 12:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lexus is 350 vs audi s4