IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So this happened =(

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 07:57 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default So this happened =(

getting out of my car one morning and i was in a bit of a rush and somehow someway a little button of my jeans around where you have the belt caught the bottom of my steering wheel causing a rip/gash of the leather. Didn't notice it until i was driving and made a turn and saw it. tried to get over it but i feel it everytime i turn the wheel =( and its bugging me. I don't think ordering a new steering wheel makes any financial sense or any sense at all whatsoever. can this be fixed? id appreciate the help guys.
Attached Thumbnails So this happened =(-image1.jpg  
Old 11-29-14, 08:47 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

ordering a new steering wheel does not at all make financial sense on any sense.

have it repaired and deal with an ever-so-slightly flawed steering wheel.
Old 11-30-14, 05:54 AM
IS1911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my Miata the lower left quadrant of the wheel took a beating from getting in and out of the car. The best trick I found was using shoe polish. Keep in mind that wheel was real leather and our Lexus wheel is "pleather" so it may not work as well.
Old 11-30-14, 06:18 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would lightly sand the rough spots and then try and match up a paint to blend in the color with the rest of the steering wheel. Good thing is its on the bottom of the wheel and out of site somewhat. Good luck

Originally Posted by shivad87
getting out of my car one morning and i was in a bit of a rush and somehow someway a little button of my jeans around where you have the belt caught the bottom of my steering wheel causing a rip/gash of the leather. Didn't notice it until i was driving and made a turn and saw it. tried to get over it but i feel it everytime i turn the wheel =( and its bugging me. I don't think ordering a new steering wheel makes any financial sense or any sense at all whatsoever. can this be fixed? id appreciate the help guys.
Old 11-30-14, 07:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by IS1911
When I had my Miata the lower left quadrant of the wheel took a beating from getting in and out of the car. The best trick I found was using shoe polish. Keep in mind that wheel was real leather and our Lexus wheel is "pleather" so it may not work as well.
It's a good idea since it's got some color pigmentation.

NOTE the steering wheel is genuine leather (as is the shift ****). The rest of the interior Seats, door inserts, dash cluster housing, console armrest, console "knee pads" are Nuluxe/"pleather".
Old 11-30-14, 07:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can try this leather repair kit that is rumored to be a good one.
I'd try it before buying a new wheel which will be big bucks.

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/colorchart.htm
Old 11-30-14, 09:50 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It's a good idea since it's got some color pigmentation.

NOTE the steering wheel is genuine leather (as is the shift ****). The rest of the interior Seats, door inserts, dash cluster housing, console armrest, console "knee pads" are Nuluxe/"pleather".
not everyone's interior save for the steering wheel and shift **** are nuluxe/pleather as you well know, but many perhaps reading this may not and i wasn't sure if you were referring to just his vehicle or the lexus is in general.

base models and all f-sport models come with nuluxe/pleather standard, but any is250/is350 delivered with the luxury package comes with leather appointed surfaces. that said, there still is a certain amount of pleather on luxury-package equipped vehicles, but there is also a solid amount of leather within.
Old 11-30-14, 11:54 AM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When winter kicks in for those of use that wear puffy down coats, the zippers and the steering wheel can make terrible friends. I have several scuffs and tears on my Tacoma steering wheel leather from jumping out of the truck quick.