IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bounce Rev Limiter While Driving?!?

Old 11-24-14, 10:56 PM
aritweets
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bounce Rev Limiter While Driving?!?

So I had my traction control off, threw it in Manual Mode, and Sport Mode.

Forgot I had it in manual, not just temporary manual/paddle shift mode

And my RPMs were about to redline and it just bounced off the rev limiter WHILE driving!

IT WAS INSANE, SOUNDS SO FREAKIN AWESOME, with my JoeZ Axle Back, but my heart sank with my car barely hitting 900 miles my poor baby engine.

Have you guys 'accidentally' done this?
Old 11-24-14, 11:41 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I did this the other week. It's hard to judge where to do the manual upshift while trying to max out the revs. The auto changes way to early by itself.
Old 11-25-14, 04:22 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aritweets
And my RPMs were about to redline and it just bounced off the rev limiter WHILE driving!
so let me get this straight, what you're saying is you're approaching redline, and then it just jumped in a surge of power to hit the rev limiter?

Originally Posted by Fooz
I did this the other week. It's hard to judge where to do the manual upshift while trying to max out the revs. The auto changes way to early by itself.
the damn tranny does shift too early, either in manual or auto mode. i'm trying to find out how i can go in a straight line, hit near redline and CHOOSE to shift myself instead of the damn computer taking over. i hate it right when i shift, and the tranny got to it before me and basically it upshifts two gears and then the power just lags.
Old 11-25-14, 04:58 AM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
the damn tranny does shift too early, either in manual or auto mode. i'm trying to find out how i can go in a straight line, hit near redline and CHOOSE to shift myself instead of the damn computer taking over. i hate it right when i shift, and the tranny got to it before me and basically it upshifts two gears and then the power just lags.
If you press & hold the traction control button until it totally turn it off you will have complete manual control of the changes.
Old 11-25-14, 05:49 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aritweets
So I had my traction control off, threw it in Manual Mode, and Sport Mode.

Forgot I had it in manual, not just temporary manual/paddle shift mode

IT WAS INSANE, SOUNDS SO FREAKIN AWESOME, with my JoeZ Axle Back, but my heart sank with my car barely hitting 900 miles my poor baby engine.

Have you guys 'accidentally' done this?
Depending on the duration of the time you spent bouncing off the limiter would determine a level of damage. If it was a quick bounce and off, you're fine. If you spent 15-20 seconds on the limiter, I would be a little more concerned.

The limiter is there for a reason.
Old 11-25-14, 06:19 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Depending on the duration of the time you spent bouncing off the limiter would determine a level of damage. If it was a quick bounce and off, you're fine. If you spent 15-20 seconds on the limiter, I would be a little more concerned.

The limiter is there for a reason.
Agreed. The car has a manual mode, but it's still an automatic. You're not physically shifting the gears and Lexus made it this way to dummy-proof their cars so no one can say Lexus has reliability problems lol.

Nothing should be wrong with the engine, right?
Old 11-25-14, 09:30 AM
aritweets
Driver

[QUOTE=AdvanSLF;8801652]so let me get this straight, what you're saying is you're approaching redline, and then it just jumped in a surge of power to hit the rev limiter?

NO IT WON'T JUST SHOOT IN SURGE OF POWER....i'm saying it'll bounced at the red line while still driving and won't shift by itself..

take off traction control and you get full manual mode.
Old 11-25-14, 03:27 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Even with traction control "fully" off it will still upshift by itself near or at redline. Occasionally it'll hit and bounce off the rev limiter. If you are in auto mode in second gear and floor it, sometimes it'll do that once it hits the limiter in first gear, sounds really cool but that's about it. And there is no full manual in this car. It's to prevent idiots from damaging the motor. It is annoying for sure but once you realize this isn't a race car, it's actually quite awesome overall. Took me a lot of back and forth and driving other cars to finally realize that.
Old 06-09-16, 07:11 AM
james1101
Driver School Candidate

sorry to bring up and old thread, but just bought an Jan 2014 build IS350, and auto upshifts no matter what I do (i.e. traction control off and sports + mode)... anyone know if there is a firmware update for early model transmissions?
Old 06-09-16, 07:47 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's supposed to up shift when you hit the red line. You may get a little bounce in lower gears if your really on the gas and WANT it to max out ... but for the protection of the engine, it will auto-shift for you.
Old 06-09-16, 08:21 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It shouldn't auto-shift for you in Sport+ manual mode with TCS off.
Old 06-09-16, 08:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I've read that some 2014s will shift for you while others won't. 2015+ hits the redline with TCS fully off and sport+ mode.
Old 06-09-16, 09:06 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, I've done this before. Not accidentally, but with full and bad intentions

However, there is a thread somewhere here that earlier IS' do not have this feature and will upshift no matter one. I believe my year is the year they allowed the rev to bounce.
Old 06-09-16, 02:51 PM
prooks
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it bounce off redline with traction control off in 1st on a rainy day. Other than 1st I can't seem to keep it from shifting for me. Throws me off a couple times because I end up skipping a gear when it shifts for me right before I click the paddle one more time.
Old 06-09-16, 03:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

PatrixUSA created this thread to chase down the answer. It does seem like it depends on the build date.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...to-bounce.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bounce Rev Limiter While Driving?!?