IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Key FOB Remote won't unlock the doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 08:19 AM
JulieJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key FOB Remote won't unlock the doors

I have a 2014 Lexus IS250 that is only 10 months old and my key FOB isn't unlocking the doors. I've tried using both keys. I don't think the batteries are dead since the power light still works on both keys, and they are not even a year old. Not to mention it would be very coincidental that both keys would die at the same exact time.
Ideas? I need to get to work but don't want to get there and not be able to lock my car.
Old 11-24-14, 08:27 AM
JCWong
Rookie

Sorry Julie, haven't seen situations like this to provide you a quick solution before you work. but I wonder does it start your car? or does it say key not detected?
I haven't experienced this with my 3IS nor my little older CT yet, but mum's RX had message on cluster when key fob battery is running low before it even stopped working! or if something's wrong with pairing the key fob to the car, "key not detected" error message will show and you won't be able to start the car.
call the 1800 Lexus help number, hope they can help more than me! >.<
Old 11-24-14, 08:30 AM
JCWong
Rookie

mind you you can also pull the physical key out from the fob to manually lock and unlock the car in the traditional way for the time being until you find out why, that's if you can start and run the car now.
Old 11-24-14, 08:33 AM
JulieJ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks JC. I wouldn't know if the key would start my car since I can't get in. Although I have had that problem before and I know you can hold the key to the start button to start it.
on my 2011 IS, the car usually told me when the key batteries were going low before they actually died altogether.
I'd assume my 2014 would do the same.
Old 11-24-14, 08:35 AM
JulieJ
Driver School Candidate

Do you know how to use the physical key to get into the car? my car manuals are in the car. From what I'm reading people say I need to pop something off under the handle? what tools do I need to do this and should I be prepared for a small piece to go flying once it pops off?
Old 11-24-14, 08:57 AM
JCWong
Rookie

mine just has a key hole slot on my driver door handle but I'm not sure if it's the same on the US model, then just pull the key out from your key fob

Old 11-25-14, 09:52 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julie,

It really sounds to me that the batteries in both of your fobs are dead or going dead. There's a high chance that the dealership inserted stale batteries into your fobs before you purchased your car. Also, can you clarify what you mean by "the power light still works on both keys"? There shouldn't be any type of light indicator on the fobs when the batteries are good. However, when the batteries start to deplete, you'll start to see a little red light that will flicker on the fob. That's designed to warn you the battery is getting low.

I would highly suggest replacing the button cell batteries in each fob just to rule them out. I'm betting that your car will open instantly/properly as soon as you replace the batteries.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 11-25-14, 09:49 PM
JCWong
Rookie

Originally Posted by ancpratt
Julie,

It really sounds to me that the batteries in both of your fobs are dead or going dead. There's a high chance that the dealership inserted stale batteries into your fobs before you purchased your car. Also, can you clarify what you mean by "the power light still works on both keys"? There shouldn't be any type of light indicator on the fobs when the batteries are good. However, when the batteries start to deplete, you'll start to see a little red light that will flicker on the fob. That's designed to warn you the battery is getting low.

I would highly suggest replacing the button cell batteries in each fob just to rule them out. I'm betting that your car will open instantly/properly as soon as you replace the batteries.

Let us know how you make out.

Not entirely correct, Ancpratt.

There is in fact a little red light indication on the top right corner of our lock button where it flickers everytime you press any button on the fob as a feedback that a button is pressed, not an indication of low battery.
I agree dealership may have inserted stale battery but you gotta be pretty darn unlucky to get stale battery on both of your fobs AND running out at the same time? yaa Lexus isn't cheap like that...
But yes Julie I agree with you I'm impressed with the key fob low battery message on cluster, pretty smart... I don't see why they'd have that previously and take that feature out with newer technology.
so any updates? hope everything went fine
Old 11-27-14, 07:49 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Originally Posted by JCWong
Not entirely correct, Ancpratt.

There is in fact a little red light indication on the top right corner of our lock button where it flickers everytime you press any button on the fob as a feedback that a button is pressed, not an indication of low battery.
I agree dealership may have inserted stale battery but you gotta be pretty darn unlucky to get stale battery on both of your fobs AND running out at the same time? yaa Lexus isn't cheap like that...
But yes Julie I agree with you I'm impressed with the key fob low battery message on cluster, pretty smart... I don't see why they'd have that previously and take that feature out with newer technology.
so any updates? hope everything went fine
JCWong,

Yes, you're right. Sorry about that. I do see now that the red light illuminates each time a button is pressed on the key fob. I do recall on my previous car, a 2007 Camry, the key indicator light on the fob would periodically flash once the battery started to deplete. In our ISs, there'll be a warning message on the cluster instead.
Old 11-27-14, 07:55 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do our FOBs use the CR1632 battery? My wife's Venza used those and it took forever to find a replacement. I had to go to Radio Shack to get them.
Old 11-27-14, 08:07 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Originally Posted by akshunj
Do our FOBs use the CR1632 battery? My wife's Venza used those and it took forever to find a replacement. I had to go to Radio Shack to get them.
CR2032 batteries in our IS fobs.
The following users liked this post:
CSDrums (12-24-21)
Old 01-06-15, 10:49 PM
abermath
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2014 is250, & just experienced the same problem as Julie. Both key fob wouldn't unlock the front doors but somehow did unlock the back doors. I set off the alarm & both worked. Contacted the dealer but they didn't have an explanation. They recommend to bring ithe in if it happens b4 next service.
Old 01-08-15, 08:40 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by abermath
I have a 2014 is250, & just experienced the same problem as Julie. Both key fob wouldn't unlock the front doors but somehow did unlock the back doors. I set off the alarm & both worked. Contacted the dealer but they didn't have an explanation. They recommend to bring ithe in if it happens b4 next service.
Did you get four beeps and four flashes, but the driver's door does not unlock? If so, this has happened to me twice now. Once, I had to climb in the passenger side and unlock the driver's door manually. Once, the car was in my garage and I couldn't climb in the passenger side, so I climbed in the back seat and unlocked the driver's door manually from inside.

There's another thread on this (I am not criticizing this being a duplicate; the other thread is titled in such a way that you might not find it easily). In that thread, it appears dealers are saying they cannot reproduce this, so it's not an issue. Next time it happens, I am taking video of it with my phone to show them. Also, I'll just use the manual key to unlock the car rather than climbing all over it
Old 02-02-15, 05:52 PM
Safetysale
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by link13
Did you get four beeps and four flashes, but the driver's door does not unlock? If so, this has happened to me twice now. Once, I had to climb in the passenger side and unlock the driver's door manually. Once, the car was in my garage and I couldn't climb in the passenger side, so I climbed in the back seat and unlocked the driver's door manually from inside.

There's another thread on this (I am not criticizing this being a duplicate; the other thread is titled in such a way that you might not find it easily). In that thread, it appears dealers are saying they cannot reproduce this, so it's not an issue. Next time it happens, I am taking video of it with my phone to show them. Also, I'll just use the manual key to unlock the car rather than climbing all over it
Link13, my 2014 is250 has exactly the same problem. Took video of locked car, then unlocking w fob and it beeped 4x w clunking noise by gas cap, all doors open except drivers. Locked it again. Tried unlocking and same problem. Have to reach through passenger door to manually unlock driver door. Even w video, dealer had no explanation as they can't replicate it. Any links or advise??
Marlyn327 (06-12-19)
Old 02-03-15, 10:23 AM
simon3huna
Rookie

Originally Posted by Safetysale
Link13, my 2014 is250 has exactly the same problem. Took video of locked car, then unlocking w fob and it beeped 4x w clunking noise by gas cap, all doors open except drivers. Locked it again. Tried unlocking and same problem. Have to reach through passenger door to manually unlock driver door. Even w video, dealer had no explanation as they can't replicate it. Any links or advise??
hey. i had the same problem several times with my 3is. i took it to the dealership, they said they couldn't replicate the issue therefore nothing was wrong.

i asked them to program my key fob to open the windows when holding the unlock button. i know this isn't a fix, but it does the job if you dont want to reach over from the passenger side.

hopefully that helps
cheers,
Simon
Marlyn327 (06-12-19)

Quick Reply: Key FOB Remote won't unlock the doors