IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A/V Input Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 11:25 PM
gennacide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/V Input Instructions

After some trial and error I finally figured out how to get this mysterious A/V input to work!
(IS350 F Sport)

Here is what you have to do...

1) Get a 4 Pole 3.5mm jack to composite cable (commonly called a camcorder A/V cable, which you can purchase at radio shack) such as this one:

2) Get a composite (a/v) coupler like this:

3) Connect the wires like this (white wire to red on coupler, yellow wire to white on coupler, red wire to yellow on coupler):

4) Plug in your component device. I used a dvd player to test it out.

If you want to plug in an iPhone like I do then here is what I'm going to try tomorrow and I will update you on how it goes.

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack...nF98E&tab=tab1

AND

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-li...&skuId=7007013

Also, if you want to unlock your entertainment/nav unit while you're driving, I highly recommend getting one of these

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

I have it on my 2011 GS 350 and it works great! You hit the volume buttons on the steering wheel to enable/disable it (vol down X2, vol up X2)

ENJOY!
Old 11-20-14, 12:09 AM
gennacide
Driver School Candidate

Both of those will get you where you need to be

Iphone 5, 5s, 5c, 6 video playback on the 3GS

It really works!

Last edited by gennacide; 11-20-14 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 08:57 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gennacide
After some trial and error I finally figured out how to get this mysterious A/V input to work!
(IS350 F Sport)

Here is what you have to do...

1) Get a 4 Pole 3.5mm jack to composite cable (commonly called a camcorder A/V cable, which you can purchase at radio shack) such as this one:

2) Get a composite (a/v) coupler like this:

3) Connect the wires like this (white wire to red on coupler, yellow wire to white on coupler, red wire to yellow on coupler):

4) Plug in your component device. I used a dvd player to test it out.

If you want to plug in an iPhone like I do then here is what I'm going to try tomorrow and I will update you on how it goes.

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack...nF98E&tab=tab1

AND

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-li...&skuId=7007013

Also, if you want to unlock your entertainment/nav unit while you're driving, I highly recommend getting one of these

I have it on my 2011 GS 350 and it works great! You hit the volume buttons on the steering wheel to enable/disable it (vol down X2, vol up X2)

ENJOY!

Thanks gennacide for this useful info. I am glad you posted the idea of the coupler and I found the post. My use case is dash cam position setup but it is really disappointing to see the lack of info in the Lexus manual.

Here is a good reference for those who want to know why a coupler is needed in some cases - there is no universal standard for the pinout assignment. This picture only shows some of the "standards".
Attached Thumbnails A/V Input Instructions-av-cable-standards.jpg  

Last edited by AndyL; 11-30-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 05:18 AM
gennacide
Driver School Candidate

That's really interesting I've always wondered why devices that used this cable only worked with the specific cable they came with. I wonder why they wouldn't standardize it.
Old 12-03-14, 03:57 AM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all just wanna give you a great shout out , been dying to do this and now it finally works !! This is just what I was looking for and thanks for the detailed instructions on how to set it up !!! Thanks again !!!
Old 12-29-14, 02:19 PM
latchton
Driver School Candidate

So this would allow screen mirroring through the A/V section in the on-screen display? Does this work while the car is moving? Seems awesome for like $30!
Old 12-29-14, 05:32 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by latchton
So this would allow screen mirroring through the A/V section in the on-screen display? Does this work while the car is moving? Seems awesome for like $30!
No it's more than that , you gotta buy the beatsonic dvd bypass module so you can watch while driving and then everything he mentioned after ! I'm glad I got it and so worth it !!
Old 01-05-15, 05:59 AM
gennacide
Driver School Candidate

Old 01-25-15, 07:14 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Took a few minutes but i got it! Thanks Gennacide.Still get a bit of static and need to find a less bulkier HDMI cable.
Excuse the picture, its from snapchat. Forgot to take a better one with the iPad
Old 01-26-15, 05:58 AM
gennacide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdotk

Took a few minutes but i got it! Thanks Gennacide.Still get a bit of static and need to find a less bulkier HDMI cable.
Excuse the picture, its from snapchat. Forgot to take a better one with the iPad

No problem!! What adapter are you using? It looks different than mine.

Also, try this hdmi cable. It fits perfect through the side of the console because it's flat.

Amazon.com: Aurum Flat Series - Flat HDMI Cable with Ethernet (50 FT) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest Version] + Right Angle Adapter and Velcro Cable Tie - 50 Feet: Electronics Amazon.com: Aurum Flat Series - Flat HDMI Cable with Ethernet (50 FT) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest Version] + Right Angle Adapter and Velcro Cable Tie - 50 Feet: Electronics
Old 01-26-15, 01:06 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

The adapter is the same one you have, the apple one. It is at an angle in the picture so you can't see how wide it is.
The flat HDMI cable would be perfect, gonna have to find one that is way less than 50 feet!
Thanks again bro!
Old 01-28-15, 10:17 AM
socaloha
Driver School Candidate

So much great info in this thread. By any chance does anyone know if this will work on a 2015 IS250 F Sport?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-15, 10:45 AM
byro
Driver School Candidate

I'm assuming this does not work for non-navigation 3IS?

I noticed a couple owners ask about it so I tried to do some digging myself. Just found the online manual for the display audio unit (non-navigation): http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_05-01.pdf

■ iPod video and A/V
To operate the video functions such as iPod video or A/V, a 4-pole AUX cable is necessary. However, depending on the cable specifications, the video function may not work properly. For more information consult your Lexus dealer.
They're incredibly vague about why it might not function with a regular 4-pole AUX cable, so I have doubts that it ever works.

Last edited by byro; 01-28-15 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-28-15, 01:40 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socaloha
So much great info in this thread. By any chance does anyone know if this will work on a 2015 IS250 F Sport?

Thanks in advance.
It should.
You would need all the wires listed above plus beat sonic nav bypass system.
Old 02-02-15, 04:36 AM
gennacide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdotk
The adapter is the same one you have, the apple one. It is at an angle in the picture so you can't see how wide it is.
The flat HDMI cable would be perfect, gonna have to find one that is way less than 50 feet!
Thanks again bro!
Ohh gotcha. The one I ordered was 1.5ft lol.

Quick Reply: A/V Input Instructions