IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus vs. Audi: My Story

Old 11-13-14, 11:40 AM
mmims2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus vs. Audi: My Story

Disclaimer! I'm not pretending to be an automotive journalist: I’m just an average 33yo guy with a passion for nice cars, and have owned several models from both brands and would like to share my thoughts on owning these cars, and why I've switched back and forth. Perhaps if you’re on the fence between the two brands, my post will help you decide. I’m posting in the 3IS thread because my story really tells how I led up to buying my 3IS, and why I eventually sold it.

My first Lexus was a 1993 SC300 coupe handed down to me from my Mom. It will always be my favorite Lexus, and was the car that really got me excited about the brand (long before Lexus tried to appeal to a younger demographic). IMO, the coupe had a timeless style, technology way ahead of its time, and a silky smooth straight-6 that was a blast to drive. It lacked the power and fuel-efficiency of modern motors, but everything was so well-built, and rock-solid: I felt that car could probably run forever, and I feel the SC300/400 was the one of best cars built by Lexus – ever.

I ended up finally selling my SC and traded in on 2010 IS250 AWD. The coupe was getting impractical at nearly 20 years old, and I needed something with better fuel efficiency and AWD for my long (100 mile round-trip) commutes in New England winters. I bought it pre-owned with 30k miles, and was the first luxury car I bought for myself. I really loved it. I thought the cabin was very classy and very refined. The fit and finish on all the materials seemed really top-notch. And similar to the SC, I felt the 2nd IS generation had a timeless, classic style that was almost universally appealing. My only lament was the car wasn’t nearly as sporty as the SC. The 2.5L V6 – while smooth and fuel-efficient – didn’t excite me to drive. It was simply a car that was a great place to be in for long commutes, and I knew would be reliable; but those are the reasons I bought it and it certainly delivered on its promise.

After moving to California, I ended up trading my 2IS in on a new 2013 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. I had put a lot of miles commuting in New England on my IS, and I still had a lot of payments left on it. I felt I would better off paying for a new car under warranty. The Audi brand has always excited me since I was a teenager. And while much more aggressive and sexy than the 2IS, the A4 exterior styling still had a classic, appealing look. This was the first brand new car I ever bought for myself, and I loved it at first. I found the MMI system to be incredibly easy to use, and a great design. Like my 2IS, the A4 was loaded with all kinds of tech features that made it an enjoyable place to spend my time. One of my favorite features was the Bang and Olufsen sound system upgrade, and it was unbeatable. Also like the 2IS, the fit and finish on all the cabin materials was really top-notch. It felt like it was a well-made luxury car. Ultimately, where the A4 fell short (severely short!) was the powertrain. I was initially drawn to the low-end torque of the turbocharged 4, as well as the really great fuel economy. But the more I drove it, the more disappointed I felt. The turbo lag was significant, and the 8-speed tiptronic felt clunky. For an expensive luxury car, the 4-cylinder engine seemed too loud and unrefined. The transmission never seemed to be in the right gear, and shifts were often harsh and distracting. I enjoyed being in the car but not so much driving it.

The turning point came when Lexus announced their 2014 IS. One look (and test drive) at the dealership, and I was immediately sold on an IS 350 F-Sport RWD! Like I said in the beginning, I’ve always had a passion/enthusiasm for the Lexus brand, and I was so excited they came out with such a great-looking car. I felt no other brand – Audi, BMW, Benz, etc., - had anything like it. I took delivery on the first day they were released. Unlike my previous cars, the 3IS had a very sexy, but very polarizing style. It’s a love or hate it situation – and I loved it. The car really stood out, and I loved the attention I got while driving it, especially when it was new and most people hadn’t seen one before. I had an obsidian on rioja red combo that looked stunning. The cockpit felt like it was made for the driver – a really special place to be. Everything felt very ergonomic, expect for the odd placement of the cup holders. And, because I had chosen the 350 – I finally had the power that I felt lacking in my 2IS and A4.

Unfortunately, the longer I owned it, the novelty of some of the things I really enjoyed at first began to wear off. The Mark Levinson sound system – while very nice, was definitely not as good as the B&O in my Audi. The lack of memory seats was a ridiculous oversight by Lexus: I would get so frustrated if someone else drove my car, and then I had to spend time trying to reset all my seat and mirror positions to exactly the way I wanted. The F-Sport gauges – while very cool – seemed more for show, than practicality. I didn’t really like driving with the tachometer off-center, and I missed having a central information screen that was always visible. Sport+ was a feature that really brought the car to life, but it seemed to burn through way too much fuel to be practical for every-day use. Speaking of which, the fuel economy in general was disappointing. It did get a little better after putting 8000 miles or so, but below par for a modern car.

Additionally, the materials in the car weren’t as nice as my previous cars: lots of plastic, including cheap plastic in some places, and vinyl seats. I actually have mixed feelings on the Nuluxe seats: I really liked the durability and ease-of-care, but while they looked and felt like real leather, I missed the luxury aspect of actually having real leather, and the nice smell you get when entering a $50,000 luxury car. I wish leather seats were at least an option for the F-Sport. And finally the NAV system: the remote-touch was a nice interface, but not as useful or friendly as Audi’s MMI. The most frustrating part of the NAV system was the slow and somewhat gimmicky interface that often didn’t work correctly or would freeze: I know many 3IS owners shared this problem. None of these things really bothered me at first, but once the excitement of owning Lexus’ newest, most exciting model wore off – these things became more noticeable and disappointing.

When Lexus announced the RC, I was enthralled by the incredibly sexy styling. I’ve always wanted a coupe again, and since I have another vehicle (Range Rover) that I use for weekend trips, Costco runs, etc., the loss of cargo and passenger space is a non-issue. Ultimately, I really would love to make the jump to the RC-F: It seems like an amazing car, but at $75,000+ the way I would want it configured, it’s out of my budget for now. As a potential compromise, the RC350 F-Sport has 99% of the same exterior styling as the RC-F that I love so much; but the inside to me is exactly the same as what I’m used to. It feels looks and feels like an IS, and drives like an IS thanks to the exact same powertrain. And since a person spends most of their time in the car driving it, rather than looking at it – the RC350 F Sport just didn’t seem worth the upgrade. Largely, it would feel like the same car that has become somewhat disappointing. Not to mention, Lexus wanted a small fortune on a lease rate: I realize they’re brand new and not giving any discounts (even to loyal, repeat customers) but IMO, it just wasn’t worth it.

So, my saga ended this week when I visited my local Audi dealership and traded my IS350 in on a new, 2014 Audi S5 Cabriolet. It has everything that I liked about my A4, but with a powertrain that is second-to-none in its class. The supercharged V6 is silky-smooth, incredibly responsive and provides amazing power. The dual-clutch S-Tronic transmission shifts lightning-fast, and paired with the supercharged motor – makes for an amazing combo. Everything in the car feels rock-solid and very premium in quality. It is fully loaded and makes no compromise between sport and luxury. Thanks in part to the torque-vectoring differential and Quattro, it handles the curvy roads better than my IS350. It’s a blast to drive and a truly luxurious cabin to be in. The best part is I was able to get a 2014 model at almost $12,000 off MSRP.

Make no mistake: I had a lot of fun owning my Lexus IS350. I’ve also really enjoyed being part of this forum, mostly by reading other people’s posts and sharing their enthusiasm for their cars, but also adding a few thoughts of my own here and there. I might be back one day – especially if Lexus reintroduces the SC-line based on the LF-LC concept. But for now, I’m back with Audi, I feel confident in my choice, and I couldn’t be happier.
Old 11-13-14, 12:17 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

Do you mind me asking how much you receive for your trade? How many miles did you have on it when you trade it in?
Old 11-13-14, 12:25 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Originally Posted by kmanpete24
Do you mind me asking how much you receive for your trade? How many miles did you have on it when you trade it in?
$37,500 with 11k miles. I felt it was a strong offer for a dealer trade, especially non-Lexus. I might have fared *slightly* better with CarMax, but they isn't one nearby, and I don't think the difference would have been significant.
Old 11-13-14, 12:53 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have switched MB C sedan, Corvette, Lexus RX, Lexus IS 350, MB CLK, Lexus IS 350 F sport so I have been back and forth here for many years. All have been fun rides and glad I enjoyed all of them.

Enjoy your new ride, see you again on here some day.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 11-13-14, 12:59 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Audi, BMW, Benz are those brand deserve for rich people like Paris Hilton who doesn't mind spending $13K just for a little dog. However, we are a working middle class people who work so hard every day to have 2 meal a day. Every penny is a kilo of gold to us. So spending money to maintain a car is a big decision to consider buying a car. Reliability is our top priority on a long run. Lexus is all the way.
Old 11-13-14, 01:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Congratulations on your new ride. Would love to see some pictures!

Originally Posted by damtachoa
Audi, BMW, Benz are those brand deserve for rich people like Paris Hilton who doesn't mind spending $13K just for a little dog.
Well, Ms. Hilton does drive a Lexus... (LFA).
Old 11-13-14, 01:05 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting write-up. FWIW, I'm 40 now and typically buy new cars every few years and I've yet to find the "perfect car." Every car has pluses and minuses. And as you just experienced, the minuses become more noticeable with time.

1998 Acura Integra GS-R
Good: Blast to drive
Bad: Buzzy engine on long trips

2003 Acura RSX-S
Good: Blast to drive
Bad: I was getting older and needed something more luxurious

2002 Audi A4 3.0
Good: Major step up in prestige and luxury for me at the time
Bad: Slow for 220 hp, poor manual transmission (long throws), awful reliability

2006 BMW 330i
Good: Sporty and luxurious, wow, what a motor
Bad: Ride quality was horrid

2007 Audi RS4
Good: Compared to the other cars I've owned, this car was in a league of it's own
Bad: Almost too much engine, exhaust drone, a bit tiring as a daily driver, dated interior

2009 BMW 335i
Good: One of the best 6 cylinder engines out there. Amazing in any gear at any RPM, engaging to drive
Bad: Poor ride quality, dated interior

2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport
Good: Distinctive, modern styling, great ride quality, fun in sport+ mode, relaxing in others
Bad: Doesn't feel like 306 hp unless you wind it out, very little torque down low, numb-ish steering

In all, I wish I could take features from each car I've owned to build the "perfect car." Perhaps there's a perfect car out there, but I haven't found it yet. But for now, I'm still pretty happy with my new IS350.

Congrats on your new ride - enjoy!!

Last edited by Spagolli94; 11-13-14 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-13-14, 01:49 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmims2000
Unfortunately, the longer I owned it, the novelty of some of the things I really enjoyed at first began to wear off. The Mark Levinson sound system – while very nice, was definitely not as good as the B&O in my Audi. The lack of memory seats was a ridiculous oversight by Lexus: I would get so frustrated if someone else drove my car, and then I had to spend time trying to reset all my seat and mirror positions to exactly the way I wanted. The F-Sport gauges – while very cool – seemed more for show, than practicality. I didn’t really like driving with the tachometer off-center, and I missed having a central information screen that was always visible. Sport+ was a feature that really brought the car to life, but it seemed to burn through way too much fuel to be practical for every-day use. Speaking of which, the fuel economy in general was disappointing. It did get a little better after putting 8000 miles or so, but below par for a modern car.

Additionally, the materials in the car weren’t as nice as my previous cars: lots of plastic, including cheap plastic in some places, and vinyl seats. I actually have mixed feelings on the Nuluxe seats: I really liked the durability and ease-of-care, but while they looked and felt like real leather, I missed the luxury aspect of actually having real leather, and the nice smell you get when entering a $50,000 luxury car. I wish leather seats were at least an option for the F-Sport. And finally the NAV system: the remote-touch was a nice interface, but not as useful or friendly as Audi’s MMI. The most frustrating part of the NAV system was the slow and somewhat gimmicky interface that often didn’t work correctly or would freeze: I know many 3IS owners shared this problem. None of these things really bothered me at first, but once the excitement of owning Lexus’ newest, most exciting model wore off – these things became more noticeable and disappointing.
I felt the same way when I first went shopping for a 2014 IS. The F-Sport was the car garnering all the attention, but when I looked at one I felt you had to give up all the stuff that makes it a luxury car for the gauge cluster and other visual tweaks. I found an IS350 with the Luxury/Tech package and felt it was a nicer car. You don't give up any power when you pass on the F sport package, which made the decision very easy for me.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-14, 01:59 PM
IS3F
Driver

Originally Posted by Spagolli94

2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport
Good: Distinctive, modern styling, great ride quality, fun in sport+ mode, relaxing in others
Bad: Doesn't feel like 330 hp unless you wind it out, very little torque down low, numb-ish steering

In all, I wish I could take features from each car I've owned to build the "perfect car." Perhaps there's a perfect car out there, but I haven't found it yet. But for now, I'm still pretty happy with my new IS350.

Congrats on your new ride - enjoy!!
Great and balanced feedback. Just FYI the car doesn't feel like it has 330hp because it doesn't- it's rated at 306HP. At least in North America
Old 11-13-14, 02:20 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm makes me feel better that I am leasing one for now. I still love my IS350F, but when time comes when something else catches my eye, I can always change my mind easier. For now, I'll enjoy it, for maybe one day I will buy it instead of turning it in.

I'm constantly watching the Audi and BMW competitors.
Old 11-13-14, 02:42 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS3F
Great and balanced feedback. Just FYI the car doesn't feel like it has 330hp because it doesn't- it's rated at 306HP. At least in North America
Ah, that was a typo. Fixed.
Old 11-13-14, 07:58 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

OP - way to go buddy! I was always drooling over S4 and S5 models. They are truly exceptional. I really hope that you wont have many problems with you vehicle as I did with my A6. Audi has been really doing great on reliability lately. Per Consumer Report Audi has been within top 5 the most reliable brands during the last three years. So it should not be a coincidence as Audi tops three years consistently. And of course Lexus and Toyota have always been and are the most reliable vehicles on the market.
Old 11-13-14, 08:11 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cabriolet ?!!! Noooooooo
Old 11-14-14, 12:41 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

I love my IS but if the new C63 AMG ever comes out in a 4MATIC version, my car will be traded-in :P
Old 11-14-14, 04:50 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by damtachoa
Audi, BMW, Benz are those brand deserve for rich people like Paris Hilton who doesn't mind spending $13K just for a little dog. However, we are a working middle class people who work so hard every day to have 2 meal a day. Every penny is a kilo of gold to us. So spending money to maintain a car is a big decision to consider buying a car. Reliability is our top priority on a long run. Lexus is all the way.
this is an immense overgeneralization. one could debate what constitutes wealth and how wealth (or lack thereof) is spent by various cohorts, e.g., the masses who lease 3 series and c-class sedans, or conversely, how groups stretch every last penny in an effort of frugality not to live comfortably, but rather just to demonstrate an artificial display of wealth -- having a lexus in his her driveway while "work(ing) hard every day to have 2 meal a day."

i won't comment much more other than to say that i don't think placing lexus alongside bmw, audi, and mercedes-benz is in any way indicative of watering down the luxury segment and if one is a working-class individual who is stretching to own or lease a lexus while living from paycheck-to-paycheck only able to afford two meals per day, then perhaps lexus isn't the most appropriate marque given the individual's financial situation.

Last edited by davyjordi; 11-14-14 at 04:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus vs. Audi: My Story