IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My daughter dropped her action figure in the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 07:54 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Omg what a story... glad it's fixed, fuel filter is nothing.
Old 11-10-14, 08:28 PM
Sandeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear its just the fuel filter - dodged a bullet good sir
Old 11-10-14, 09:06 PM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

Default Picture proof

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
You're little girl is ok, you're ok, and now your IS is ok - the $1k will someday be a distant memory.

Glad to hear it worked out.

Now buy her one of those expensive American Girl dolls - she will never get that down the fuel filler, haha.
So as you can see an American doll head is around 12.5 inches in diameter and as big as the whole gas filler door. So you should be safe.
Attached Thumbnails My daughter dropped her action figure in the gas tank-image.jpg  
Old 11-11-14, 05:30 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRX300h
Long story short, I do have my IS back as of now. No more check engine light. Starts and runs just like it did before this ordeal. I did end up spending more money than expected because they could not replace the fuel filter alone. I had to actually purchase the entire fuel pump,which obviously did cost a pretty penny. The fuel pump replacement including labor, was $676.45. In addition to this, this cost of the initial diagnosis was $220.76 and in addition to this, to tow my car to this dealership in the first place, was $133. So, $1,030.21 later, I have a perfectly running IS. Or so I think. Early Tomorrow morning will be the real test when we leave San Francisco and drive back home to Denver. Approximately 19 hours and 1,267 of driving should be a good test.
Glad to see it finally gets resolved and it is not the worst scenario. Now you can enjoy the trip.
Old 11-11-14, 07:40 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story! Almost as good as the banana in the tailpipe story....Lol.

Get back to Denver safely. Report back when you get home.
Old 11-11-14, 08:11 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the diagnostic fee if you went through with the work?

Get that $200 back.
Old 11-11-14, 10:27 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbs600
Why the diagnostic fee if you went through with the work?

Get that $200 back.
Not sure how car dealers work, but in my business, we base our fees on time. If I put a developer on a job for a couple hours to figure out what's wrong, there's a fee for that. Armed with that knowledge, I'm able to provide the client with an estimate to fix the issue. Let's say it's an additional 4 hours to fix it. They approve and we proceed with the fix. All told, I've paid my developer for 6 hours of time. Why would I only charge the client for 4 hours?
Old 11-11-14, 10:37 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Not sure how car dealers work, but in my business, we base our fees on time. If I put a developer on a job for a couple hours to figure out what's wrong, there's a fee for that. Armed with that knowledge, I'm able to provide the client with an estimate to fix the issue. Let's say it's an additional 4 hours to fix it. They approve and we proceed with the fix. All told, I've paid my developer for 6 hours of time. Why would I only charge the client for 4 hours?
Every car dealership I've been to puts the diagnostic fee into the cost of repair. I had an Acura hat had a headlight out. They charged $135 to find out what the problem was. If I decided to fix it, that $135 would have gone towards the total $600 to fix, not added on top of it. I thought it was standard protocol with dealerships. Apparently that's not the case.
Old 11-11-14, 11:23 AM
IS1911
Driver

My old Toyota dealer would not subtract the diagnostic fee from the work. Needless to say I found a new Toyota dealer that did. Most dealers will subtract the diagnostic fee if you let them perform the service. Those that don't are money hungry and should be avoided. Of course in this case the OP didn't have much of a choice because he was not in his local area and was dealing with a potentially VERY serious issue.
Old 11-11-14, 03:45 PM
LexRX300h
Driver School Candidate

quick update. We left San Francisco at about 4am this morning, and we're currently stopped at a hotel in Salt Lake City. Both of us are too tired to continue driving to Denver tonight. Anyway, the IS has been absolutely flawless so far. Gas mileage is hovering at about 27 mpg, Cruise control was set at 70.
Old 11-11-14, 04:16 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

what a story! glad it was a simple fix, and surprised the head even fit inside the filler hole! it must have been a small head.

my theory is that the head caused a difference in pressure or vacuum on the filler neck which caused the CEL. the CEL will turn on if you don't screw down the gas cap properly. during fill up the rushing fuel caused the doll's hair or even the paint to come off and clog the initial filter screen on the fuel pump.
Old 11-11-14, 04:25 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRX300h
quick update. We left San Francisco at about 4am this morning, and we're currently stopped at a hotel in Salt Lake City. Both of us are too tired to continue driving to Denver tonight. Anyway, the IS has been absolutely flawless so far. Gas mileage is hovering at about 27 mpg, Cruise control was set at 70.
Sounds like this nightmare is starting to fade in the rear view mirror for you - great update!
Old 11-11-14, 08:07 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Damn, THIS was a story haha

What I didn't read anyone mention is Lexus roadside assistance. I thought they covered trip interruptions as long as you're at least 100 miles away from your home. Or does that only apply to warranty defects?
Old 11-11-14, 08:33 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

since when is Barbie considered an action figure???????
Old 11-12-14, 08:25 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
since when is Barbie considered an action figure???????
Depends what kind of action we are talking about

PS Tea, I got the CXP 55.

Quick Reply: My daughter dropped her action figure in the gas tank