IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My daughter dropped her action figure in the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 02:02 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexRX300h
Got some good news! There was indeed a screen in the neck of the gas tank, so they were able to maneuver the damn barbie out. I was asked if I wanted the barbie back, but after what Barbie has put me through, she can go ****** herself.. The not as good news, is that I was told that the hair from the doll did manage to clog the fuel filter. I was also told that this was the cause of the check engine light, and it's also why it refused to start the night before. They will have to replace the fuel filter.
How did the hair immediately fall out and make it's way to the fuel filter before you even left the gas station? Crazy stuff, but it sounds like the damage is minimal compared to the worst case scenario. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the techs have seen something like this. Glad it's going to get worked out.
Old 11-10-14, 02:11 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
How did the hair immediately fall out and make it's way to the fuel filter before you even left the gas station? Crazy stuff, but it sounds like the damage is minimal compared to the worst case scenario. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the techs have seen something like this. Glad it's going to get worked out.
Probably the flowing gasoline from when he was pumping it separated the hair from the doll. How it managed to go straight to the filter cause a CEL immediately is strange, though. Anyway, glad to hear the fuel filter did its job.

I am guessing the 3 yo will be waiting in the car when OP fills up for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-10-14, 02:41 PM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Probably the flowing gasoline from when he was pumping it separated the hair from the doll. How it managed to go straight to the filter cause a CEL immediately is strange, though. Anyway, glad to hear the fuel filter did its job.

I am guessing the 3 yo will be waiting in the car when OP fills up for the foreseeable future.
not a chemist but i assume the gasoline caused the plastic to expand, the pores that held the hair on the head probably expanded and all the hair fell out.
Old 11-10-14, 02:49 PM
LexRX300h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short, I do have my IS back as of now. No more check engine light. Starts and runs just like it did before this ordeal. I did end up spending more money than expected because they could not replace the fuel filter alone. I had to actually purchase the entire fuel pump,which obviously did cost a pretty penny. The fuel pump replacement including labor, was $676.45. In addition to this, this cost of the initial diagnosis was $220.76 and in addition to this, to tow my car to this dealership in the first place, was $133. So, $1,030.21 later, I have a perfectly running IS. Or so I think. Early Tomorrow morning will be the real test when we leave San Francisco and drive back home to Denver. Approximately 19 hours and 1,267 of driving should be a good test.
Old 11-10-14, 03:04 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Long story short, I do have my IS back as of now. No more check engine light. Starts and runs just like it did before this ordeal. I did end up spending more money than expected because they could not replace the fuel filter alone. I had to actually purchase the entire fuel pump,which obviously did cost a pretty penny. The fuel pump replacement including labor, was $676.45. In addition to this, this cost of the initial diagnosis was $220.76 and in addition to this, to tow my car to this dealership in the first place, was $133. So, $1,030.21 later, I have a perfectly running IS. Or so I think. Early Tomorrow morning will be the real test when we leave San Francisco and drive back home to Denver. Approximately 19 hours and 1,267 of driving should be a good test.
Good luck! Now, the million dollar question, are you going to buy your daughter a replacement barbie doll?
Old 11-10-14, 03:22 PM
LexRX300h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alius
Good luck! Now, the million dollar question, are you going to buy your daughter a replacement barbie doll?
hahaha We'll see. My fault for opening the gas cap and turning my back, anyways. Another Barbie will only bring back painful memories. Memories that I'll probably end up laughing about in the future.
Old 11-10-14, 03:42 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Drop us a line to let us know how the trip home went, good luck

Old 11-10-14, 03:52 PM
IS1911
Driver

hahaha We'll see. My fault for opening the gas cap and turning my back, anyways. Another Barbie will only bring back painful memories. Memories that I'll probably end up laughing about in the future.
LexRX300h,

I'm sorry to read of your ordeal. It could have been much worse and when your little girl is old enough to drive it will make a very interesting story for you to tell her. Good to hear everything was resolved and I hope your trip home is un-eventful.
Old 11-10-14, 04:20 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

You're little girl is ok, you're ok, and now your IS is ok - the $1k will someday be a distant memory.

Glad to hear it worked out.

Now buy her one of those expensive American Girl dolls - she will never get that down the fuel filler, haha.
Old 11-10-14, 05:09 PM
VGer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jlin89
not a chemist but i assume the gasoline caused the plastic to expand, the pores that held the hair on the head probably expanded and all the hair fell out.
Gasoline is an excellent solvent, no doubt it dissolved the glue holding the hair in, or may have dissolved the hair itself into one big plastic goo ball.
Old 11-10-14, 05:10 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
You're little girl is ok, you're ok, and now your IS is ok - the $1k will someday be a distant memory.

Glad to hear it worked out.

Now buy her one of those expensive American Girl dolls - she will never get that down the fuel filler, haha.
This would also work because American Girl dolls would never pump their own gas.
Old 11-10-14, 05:34 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
And you'll have a GREAT story to tell on her wedding day.
Old 11-10-14, 05:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Sorry to hear the troubles... Glad its all fixed up..!!!

BTW - the gas tank and fuel pump setup is accessed underneath the rear seat..

via a special removable panel.. Old GS400 below for reference.. and IS300 below that..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-10-14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 06:51 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If (in other circumstances) you had towed the car immediately without starting it, would it saved anything?
Old 11-10-14, 07:42 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
And you'll have a GREAT story to tell on her wedding day.
That's for sure!

Quick Reply: My daughter dropped her action figure in the gas tank