IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My daughter dropped her action figure in the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 06:35 PM
LexRX300h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My daughter dropped her action figure in the gas tank

I'll try to make this story short. Basically we stopped to get gas while on a road trip, the wife went into the store to grab something, and my 3 year old was behind me when I was swiping my card. I had my fuel cap opened, and when I go to grab the fuel filler nozzle, I hear a "ploop" noise, and my daughters little barbie action figure, was gone. Needless to say, I was panicking for a couple minutes, but didn't really know what else to do considering we were in the middle of nowhere, so I just decided to fill the tank anyways. I go to start the car, and the check engine light is on and has been on for about 62 miles. Not sure what to do... I've also noticed that the gas mileage has dropped after this incident. I'm currently at a relative's house in San Francisco... Should I take it to the Lexus dealer tomorrow morning? The only reason why I'm hesitating to take it to the dealer, is because again, I am in San Francisco, and I KNOW they will charge an arm and a leg.. Is it safe to leave it for a few more days until I get back to Denver?
Old 11-09-14, 06:43 PM
MrEnglish
Driver School Candidate

Although im Not too educated on the subject. I would say go to the dealer asap. Youre already f'ed. Don't risk making it worse. At least get their input, and take to a private body shop where youll pay less to get the situation unf'ed. Regardless sorry to hear that man.
Old 11-09-14, 06:48 PM
LexRX300h
Driver School Candidate

I'm afraid to ask, but what are the risks, if I leave it until I get back to Denver?
Old 11-09-14, 07:04 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have absolutely no idea how to help, but what about calling your local dealer (close to where you live) and ask them if it's an emergency to take it out now, or if you can leave it? They're probably gonna throw you the "you know sir it could be dangerous (bla bla bla)... void warranty (bla bla bla)..." but I'd give it a try. Or taking the car to a local garage your relative could recommend.
Old 11-09-14, 07:17 PM
LexRX300h
Driver School Candidate

Alright, now I've got a bit of a problem. Just went out to move the car from the street to the driveway, and the engine won't turn over. It'll crank, but won't turn over at all. Gas tank is still plenty full... I think I'll go ahead and call the dealer tomorrow morning.
Old 11-09-14, 09:14 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh that's unfortunate.
Old 11-10-14, 04:51 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The action figure probably is now clogging the fuel outlet to the engine...not fun, I hope that there wasn't a bunch of hair on it...
Old 11-10-14, 05:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My first question...WHY in gods name did you start the car? Like, where is the common sense?

While I don't see the doll getting sucked into the fuel pump, its hair probably did and that will clog your fuel filter and your fuel injectors. If that gets caught in your valves...ugh.

If you would have had the car towed right away, you could have had the gas tank dropped, cut open, and had a new gas tank put onto the car (because I don't think the ASME pressure vessel code allows you to reweld it).

But now that you've run the car...I wish teh best of luck. Your gas tank will need to come out, and most likely your fuel lines, fuel filter, your fuel injectors are probably jammed up, and if any hair got into the cylinder...ugh. Minimum, the valve cover is coming off and most likely the top of the motor.

I hope its not that bad, but your impatience probably just cost you several thousand dollars in damage.

EDIT: Also, while someone else above said going to a private shop is an option, I ask you to keep in mind, if you let a private shop touch your motor, don't expect Lexus to ever do so again. You will void your engine warranty by doing such. And if you think they won't see it, if you ever throw a CEL and have them check it, your ECU keeps a history of CELs thrown, they can inquire as to how you got rid of this one... Just saying.

Last edited by Swacer; 11-10-14 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-10-14, 06:10 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Unfortunately, I agree with the others. Not the best idea starting the engine after that occurred.

For your sake, I hope the doll was bald.
Old 11-10-14, 06:23 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear this, the figure must have pretty small to fit in the gas opening, looks like the opening is around an inch in diameter or less. Im assuming it was plastic, maybe someone here can chime and have an opinion of gasoline dissolving the figure over time, I just don't know that answer. Or does plastic float in gas? It seems a little odd the check engine light would come on that fast after starting the engine. I mean what are the odds of the figurine going right to the gas line that fast.. Im wondering if something else is going on with your car also. Hope it all works out

Originally Posted by LexRX300h
I'll try to make this story short. Basically we stopped to get gas while on a road trip, the wife went into the store to grab something, and my 3 year old was behind me when I was swiping my card. I had my fuel cap opened, and when I go to grab the fuel filler nozzle, I hear a "ploop" noise, and my daughters little barbie action figure, was gone. Needless to say, I was panicking for a couple minutes, but didn't really know what else to do considering we were in the middle of nowhere, so I just decided to fill the tank anyways. I go to start the car, and the check engine light is on and has been on for about 62 miles. Not sure what to do... I've also noticed that the gas mileage has dropped after this incident. I'm currently at a relative's house in San Francisco... Should I take it to the Lexus dealer tomorrow morning? The only reason why I'm hesitating to take it to the dealer, is because again, I am in San Francisco, and I KNOW they will charge an arm and a leg.. Is it safe to leave it for a few more days until I get back to Denver?
Old 11-10-14, 06:35 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyotatom
Sorry to hear this, the figure must have pretty small to fit in the gas opening, looks like the opening is around an inch in diameter or less. Im assuming it was plastic, maybe someone here can chime and have an opinion of gasoline dissolving the figure over time, I just don't know that answer. Or does plastic float in gas? It seems a little odd the check engine light would come on that fast after starting the engine. I mean what are the odds of the figurine going right to the gas line that fast.. Im wondering if something else is going on with your car also. Hope it all works out
It would float until the fuel pump begins creating a suction and pulls it toward it.

My first guess is the CEL is probably a low discharge pressure on the fuel pump due to a clog.
Old 11-10-14, 07:09 AM
LexRX300h
Driver School Candidate

ugh. This is not sounding good. I still have two more hours until I can even call the Lexus dealer around here. They open at 9:30. I at least hope this can get resolved by the end of today. I gotta leave from San Fran tomorrow morning. This dumb action is probably going to cost me a fortune
Old 11-10-14, 07:31 AM
Sandeman
Driver School Candidate

Best of luck Lex- hopefully just a gas tank and fuel filter replacement and nothing else
Old 11-10-14, 07:35 AM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be a mesh blocker to prevent people from siphoning gas
Old 11-10-14, 07:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexRX300h
ugh. This is not sounding good. I still have two more hours until I can even call the Lexus dealer around here. They open at 9:30. I at least hope this can get resolved by the end of today. I gotta leave from San Fran tomorrow morning. This dumb action is probably going to cost me a fortune
To drop a gas tank is 1-2 days work. This won't be solved by today. Additionaly, dropping the gas tank is only the first part. They will then need to get into the motor to see if anything from that doll got up in there.

Your first clue on damage will be what threw that first CEL.

Your best bet, get it diagnosed today, and then have it flat bedded home. Either way, you're not driving your car anywhere today.

Quick Reply: My daughter dropped her action figure in the gas tank