IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone have to order their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 10:56 AM
cstrasz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have to order their car?

It seems up here in Maryland, it's impossible to find RWD versions of the IS. I did locate a couple but it's hard to tell if they have the ML package. It just lists the normal Nav system and when I looked at some AWD versions for comparison, they typically call out the ML package separately.

Has anyone had to order the RWD? If so what was your experience like? How much more difficult was it to get a good deal? I'd like to avoid the AWD due to the weight and speed difference, plus I want to eventually get back down to Texas in a few years where I originally moved up from so it won't be needed there really.
Old 11-09-14, 11:10 AM
hanhanvic
Driver School Candidate

RWD is always hard to find, especially with ML package, and plus red interior. it makes it more rare. by the way what is the weight difference between rwd and awd?
Old 11-09-14, 11:31 AM
cstrasz
Driver School Candidate

It's not much. 144 lbs based on lexus site. Main thing for me is that it adds cost and it only comes in the 6 speed. From reviews I've read, the 8 speed feels a bit more aggressive with when it shifts?
Old 11-09-14, 12:32 PM
hanhanvic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cstrasz
It's not much. 144 lbs based on lexus site. Main thing for me is that it adds cost and it only comes in the 6 speed. From reviews I've read, the 8 speed feels a bit more aggressive with when it shifts?
Mine is rwd, and i test drive awd too. Can't notice difference. For me 8 speed, better fuel economic( not much), and got more choices for cat back system are the reasons I choose rwd.
Old 11-09-14, 01:13 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

^^ Thanks for your observations...I am debating whether to get the RWD or AWD too but couldn't test drive the RWD.

I am planning on ordering the RWD in a few weeks for a spring delivery. I live in Canada and although our winters are harsh, this vehicle will never go out in the rain or snow so I would like to have a true RWD for the first time. I know that it will make it harder to sell down the road but given the pristine condition it will be, maybe that will make it attractive to some.

OP....I think I won't be able to get much of a discount on the special order but I'll try and get 1.5-2k off the MSRP and will see if I get lucky.
Old 11-09-14, 03:42 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Thanks for your observations...I am debating whether to get the RWD or AWD too but couldn't test drive the RWD.

I am planning on ordering the RWD in a few weeks for a spring delivery. I live in Canada and although our winters are harsh, this vehicle will never go out in the rain or snow so I would like to have a true RWD for the first time. I know that it will make it harder to sell down the road but given the pristine condition it will be, maybe that will make it attractive to some.

OP....I think I won't be able to get much of a discount on the special order but I'll try and get 1.5-2k off the MSRP and will see if I get lucky.
With global warming I imagine summers in Ontario are up to a solid 4 weeks now, eh? Combined with spring and fall and you probably have about 8 weeks without snow on the ground so RWD makes perfect sense for you.

Okay, so now that I've had my fun with one of our friendly neighbors to the north I will offer you some serious commentary. I was in your exact same spot during the summer when I was picking out my car. With one exception I've always owned RWD cars. I know how to drive them and I mean REALLY drive them as in how to break traction, drift, control skids, etc. I wanted nothing to do with AWD because of the added expense, lower fuel economy, additional wear and tear on brakes and tires, etc. I was ready to place a special order for a RWD model but after test driving the AWD I was pleasantly surprised. Then I reasoned out that after having a pretty harsh winter last year and the fact that I'm getting older and may need to get out to a doctor or something like that I decided to go with the AWD.

In addition like you said most Lexus dealers aren't offering much, if anything off on special orders and I'm not sure why that is because that's a car they won't have to inventory. If anything you'd think they would offer customers just as much or even more off since it's a guaranteed sale. So anyway, I do understand your reasoning of wanting a true RWD car for once in your life but you will be paying quite a premium for it while having a car that you can't use much of the year and one that will be difficult to sell in your neck of the woods. I would think it over very carefully before you pull the trigger.
Old 11-09-14, 04:23 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I much appreciate your input on the matter. You certainly gave me things to consider that's for sure.

Let me add a few extra points here that I should have shared on my original post....

1. The Lexus would be my toy, so since we have 3 cars, this one would only be driven when the weather is nice which as you said, will amount to probably 3 1/2 days in the year (lol) As you can tell by my handle, I deal with the weather on a daily basis so I will not get caught with the IS in the rain/snow. My previous car was the same way....when I took it back to the dealer after the 3.5 year lease, it looked better than their new cars because unlike most of them on the lot, they had been test driven in the rain or snow and had dirty wheel well.

2. This will be a lease and not a purchase so although chances are that I won't be able to get out of my lease early (since the dealer won't buy it from me), I can carry it to the end of my contract and then turn it in....no money lost except the money from the lease in itself (lol)

3. You brought up a good point about being to get a discount as its a guaranteed sale....it is not as good as when the car has been on their lot for months and months and are eager to get rid of it. That was my thought process.

In any event, thanks for you well written post and appreciate your insight....I'll keep you posted. For me, the 8 speed dual clutch seems like it would be more fun to drive, although I did test drive the 6 speed AWD and found nothing wrong with it either....so maybe I'll go AWD in the end. I am just doing my homework as we speak....
Old 11-09-14, 07:31 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered my RWD and got about $2k off of sticker. I really didn't want the AWD, and losing the 8-speed was a deal-breaker. I'd rather swap tires and wheels Spring and Fall, like I've been doing for years with my BMW.

P.S. The 8 is not a dual-clutch. It's a conventional auto, but with a slick "lock up in all gears in manual mode" feature.
Old 11-09-14, 08:54 PM
IS1911
Driver

wthrman2,

I'm famous around here for my "leasing is the most expensive way to have a car" speech. Assuming you already understand this and have your heart set on leasing I'm going to give you what you may think is a radical idea at first but hear me out. Instead of leasing a RWD Lexus have you ever considered stepping up to a pure performance car like a Porsche Boxster? A base Boxster isn't going to be that much more than a loaded IS when it comes to lease and it's a RWD car in it's purest form.

The Lexus dealer won't "reward" you for keeping the car out of the rain and snow because a Lexus will never be collectable (except for the LFA) but most Porsche cars have some additional value to them if kept perfect. If you keep the miles low and don't get into any accidents you will get a refund at the end of the lease.

I had a 911 for a couple of years. I sold it back to a Porsche dealer and got all but $4000 back. So if you do the math it only cost me $2000 a year to own (not including taxes, registration, insurance and service of course). It was a purchase not a lease and it was a 911 not a Boxster but you would likely lose less with a Boxster than an IS and you will have owned a true sports car from one of the world's most iconic manufacturers.

Over the long term Lexus is going to be more reliable than Porsche but since you would covered by the warrantee for the entire length of the lease and you have another car to drive it's not going to be an issue. Anyway it's something for you to consider.

Last edited by IS1911; 11-10-14 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-11-14, 03:10 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS1911
wthrman2,

I'm famous around here for my "leasing is the most expensive way to have a car" speech. Assuming you already understand this and have your heart set on leasing I'm going to give you what you may think is a radical idea at first but hear me out. Instead of leasing a RWD Lexus have you ever considered stepping up to a pure performance car like a Porsche Boxster? A base Boxster isn't going to be that much more than a loaded IS when it comes to lease and it's a RWD car in it's purest form.

The Lexus dealer won't "reward" you for keeping the car out of the rain and snow because a Lexus will never be collectable (except for the LFA) but most Porsche cars have some additional value to them if kept perfect. If you keep the miles low and don't get into any accidents you will get a refund at the end of the lease.

I had a 911 for a couple of years. I sold it back to a Porsche dealer and got all but $4000 back. So if you do the math it only cost me $2000 a year to own (not including taxes, registration, insurance and service of course). It was a purchase not a lease and it was a 911 not a Boxster but you would likely lose less with a Boxster than an IS and you will have owned a true sports car from one of the world's most iconic manufacturers.

Over the long term Lexus is going to be more reliable than Porsche but since you would covered by the warrantee for the entire length of the lease and you have another car to drive it's not going to be an issue. Anyway it's something for you to consider.
Good evening....Thank you so much for taking teh time to write this message. I must say that I am new to this forum and I am quite pleased by how cordial and helpful members are on this site.

I am fully aware that leasing is very dumb and not a wise way to spend his money over buying teh vehicle. My math may be wrong but it appears to me that in order to make money (or not lose as much), you have to own the vehicle for about 6 years....less than that, the amount of money you have paid extra by financing (over leasing) and the extra costs such a tires and such, you almost pretty much get back the extra you paid in.

That being said, I have always enjoyed leasing...I am a low mileage kind of guy and money is not a huge factor for me. NOt that I like throwing it out the window but I feel that leasing over owning has worked better for me.

Now as a far as the Boxster versus Lexus....I much prefer a sedan over a coupe. I have test driven the Porsche and that doesn't really appeal for me. I liek teh convenience of a sedan but sportiness of a sports sedan...I know that it makes no sense to no drive my vehicles in the rain or snow but that is aquirk of mine. I just appreciate having my car in a pristine condition and I don't do it to get more money when I turn it in, I simply do it because it makes me feel good and I enjoy having the car in a brand new condition....the people buying my cars are always getting a great deal.

I appreciate your comments though.....and I may decide to buy instead of leasing it but I know I'll never break down and drive it the rain *lol*
Old 11-11-14, 08:44 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Now as a far as the Boxster versus Lexus....I much prefer a sedan over a coupe.
wthrman2,

If that's the case then the Lexus IS is going to be your smartest buy (or lease). The German makers just can't seem to get it together when it comes to reliability . . . especially Audi. The cost of annual maintenance for the German cars is also much higher than Lexus.

After owning many sports cars I have also come to appreciate the convenience of a 4-door sedan. Those Saturday morning trips to the big-box stores are SO much easier now. I owned a Mazda Miata for many years. The trunk can only hold one small piece of luggage and since it was a convertible you couldn't tie anything to the roof. Thankfully, I also had a Toyota Camry back then as my second car.

I have a buddy who works for Audi and he plans to buy the new Mercedes C-Class when the diesel is available in the USA in a couple of years. He offered me his Audi employee discount. I said "thanks but no thanks". I'm at a point in my life where I only want one car so reliability is very important to me. After owning a Porsche and (full disclosure here) a Ferrari I am totally over the badge status thing. I didn't buy either car for its badge status they were purchased only for their performance and heritage. Those cars attracted WAY more attention than I was comfortable with so I sold them. I decided that I wanted something comfortable, a little sporty and very reliable. The IS was perfect. Truth be told if there was a Toyota badged version of the IS I would have purchased that.
Old 11-13-14, 09:28 AM
threefiddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to order mine because it was hard to find an UW IS350 F withOUT the rioja red interior. I wanted BLACK interior.
Old 11-30-14, 03:44 AM
hoya08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cstrasz
It seems up here in Maryland, it's impossible to find RWD versions of the IS. I did locate a couple but it's hard to tell if they have the ML package. It just lists the normal Nav system and when I looked at some AWD versions for comparison, they typically call out the ML package separately.

Has anyone had to order the RWD? If so what was your experience like? How much more difficult was it to get a good deal? I'd like to avoid the AWD due to the weight and speed difference, plus I want to eventually get back down to Texas in a few years where I originally moved up from so it won't be needed there really.
OP, did you find or order your IS?

I'm in NOVA and placed an order on a RWD IS350 with the ML/Nav and VGRS on November 20th. According to 2 internet sales rep, there weren't any RWD UW/RR with ML/Nav available in the entire country.

I contacted 5 dealerships and 3 responded. 1 wanted full MSRP while 2 were willing to negotiate the sale price. My quoted OTD for an 48,125 MSRP is 46,642, which puts the sale price around 44,500.
Old 12-01-14, 03:24 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IS1911
I do understand your reasoning of wanting a true RWD car for once in your life but you will be paying quite a premium for it while having a car that you can't use much of the year and one that will be difficult to sell in your neck of the woods. I would think it over very carefully before you pull the trigger.
Some corrections need to be made to the above. You will not pay "quite a premium" to get a RWD car. The RWD car costs less. Period. If any dealer wants to charge you MORE to get RWD, find another dealer, one who isn't a rip-off.

Also, the RWD car will be usable all year around, with proper tires. Many of us have driven RWD cars year-around, and for many years. Maybe if you live in the boondocks and have to deal with unplowed roads, you will have trouble. But in that case you probably would not want to drive sports sedan with 5 inches of ground clearance, AWD or not.

The "difficult to sell" point might be an issue for some. Personally, I gotta believe that I'm not the only one who prefers what is clearly, in the sporting sense, the superior car. I think that many who buy the AWD new would not, if RWD cars were on the lot.

I think it's a bit a a scam, frankly. The dealer tells us that people don't want RWD. Really? BMW has sold a LOT of RWD cars over the years...