IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What's everyone's thoughts on the RC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 01:10 PM
cstrasz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's everyone's thoughts on the RC?

Hey all,

New member to this forum and looking to purchase my first Lexus sometime next year. I'm coming from a 2 door 2011 GTI.

I have been strongly leaning towards the IS 350 F sport. It's such a sexy looking car. I have been reading more about the RC recently and it too looks pretty slick. I've traditionally driven coupes so now I'm throwing that into the mix as well.

I was just curious on what everyone thought of both and if you've had a chance to compare the driving experiences. I hear the RC is a bit slower due to more weight and someone mentioned the ML system wasn't as good but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Anyways just trying to compare beyond the obvious 2 door 4 door difference. Thanks!
Old 11-08-14, 01:34 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't like how they look based on the pics, might be different in person. I didn't like the IS either based on the pics before it was released, but i love it now
Old 11-08-14, 02:16 PM
cstrasz
Driver School Candidate

To be honest I kind of wasn't a fan of the exterior styling either. It looks a bit too long overall. But they did have one at the lexus dealership today and it does look sharp in person though I didn't like how the fog lights were integrated into the front chrome trim.

It was white and had the rioja red interior. First time I had seen the red in person and definitely a fan now.

They also had an LFA there. What a beast. Sadly I don't have 350 plus sitting around.

One thing I noticed was that the seating in the IS felt a lot more comfortable than the RC. The wheels on the RC went well with it though since they were 19's. Wish they offered the same wheels for the IS.
Old 11-08-14, 03:24 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Just saw RC350 F-sport in UW at the dealer. It looks quite stunning in person definitely looks better than pictures. What pisses me off the most is this particular F-sport comes with parking assist. As many of us know it's impossible to get this combination for 3IS sedan with F-sport.
Old 11-08-14, 03:58 PM
Megaman
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures do not do it justice. The vehicle is amazing, both inside and out. The cockpit truly connects the driver to the car, specifically in the F Sport. I was at the Running of the Bulls yesterday, and was able to drive the 350, 350 F Sport, 435i, and A5 S-Line around a small track.

The car is the best balance of luxury and performance out of the group.
Old 11-08-14, 04:35 PM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love , love ..... looove it

If I weren't using a babyseat and a booster seat right now in my 3IS or could deal with the hassle of a coupe day to day ........... I'd seriously look into it !!

It sure doesn't help me with my salesman who sold me my 3IS calling me to tempt to come in to take a little peek and test drive of a Black on Black RC F Sport they just got in
Old 11-08-14, 04:57 PM
IS1911
Driver

If you're in the market for a coupe it's a very exciting and competitive offering to what's out there. I had considered a RC-F briefly when I first heard about it but after owning both German and Italian “supercars” I didn't want another high performance, high maintenance, high insurance, gas guzzling vehicle. I also didn't want to be a first year "guinea pig". I just turned 50 this year and I’ve had my "dream cars". At this point in my life I wanted the practicality and convenience of a sedan without the ridiculous annual maintenance cost of the European exotics. I also wanted reliability. I'm extremely happy with my decision to go with the IS. All that said it's still very cool that Lexus is concentrating on high performance cars beyond the stunning albeit very limited LFA.
Old 11-08-14, 05:53 PM
cstrasz
Driver School Candidate

I wish I could afford the RC - F but it will have to be between the RC 350 and IS 350 for me. After you add options for the RC -F it gets near the 75k mark.
Old 11-08-14, 06:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

After seeing the RC, RC F-Sport, and RCF in the flesh the other day, ....TEMPTING is the word. I like changing cars and don't really need a 4-door... if this helps!
Attached Thumbnails What's everyone's thoughts on the RC?-wp_20141106_16_14_48_pro.jpg   What's everyone's thoughts on the RC?-wp_20141106_16_15_13_pro.jpg   What's everyone's thoughts on the RC?-wp_20141106_16_20_18_pro.jpg   What's everyone's thoughts on the RC?-wp_20141106_16_13_35_pro.jpg  
Old 11-08-14, 11:29 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the looks, not loving the fact that it's heavier but shares the same hp and torque as the IS350.
Old 11-09-14, 03:56 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really like the RC F, but it wouldn't hold up during winter
Old 11-09-14, 10:02 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
Really like the RC F, but it wouldn't hold up during winter
Here's a picture from the one I saw on Friday while waiting for my IS to be serviced... It's quite amazing when you have it in front of you!
Attached Thumbnails What's everyone's thoughts on the RC?-lexus-rc-f-sport.jpg  
Old 11-09-14, 10:04 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cstrasz
Hey all,

New member to this forum and looking to purchase my first Lexus sometime next year. I'm coming from a 2 door 2011 GTI.

I have been strongly leaning towards the IS 350 F sport. It's such a sexy looking car. I have been reading more about the RC recently and it too looks pretty slick. I've traditionally driven coupes so now I'm throwing that into the mix as well.

I was just curious on what everyone thought of both and if you've had a chance to compare the driving experiences. I hear the RC is a bit slower due to more weight and someone mentioned the ML system wasn't as good but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Anyways just trying to compare beyond the obvious 2 door 4 door difference. Thanks!
And yes, I forgot to mention my experience with the car's interior. I do agree with you that the seats on the RC are less comfortable than the IS F-Sport. For some weird reason that I don't have an explanation. But overall, car's got the looks
Old 11-09-14, 01:31 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyElaine
Love , love ..... looove it

If I weren't using a babyseat and a booster seat right now in my 3IS or could deal with the hassle of a coupe day to day ........... I'd seriously look into it !!

It sure doesn't help me with my salesman who sold me my 3IS calling me to tempt to come in to take a little peek and test drive of a Black on Black RC F Sport they just got in
*lmao* I think your salesman want you to come and see his car so he can see you

(j/k)
Old 11-09-14, 05:16 PM
arthur520
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexi90
Here's a picture from the one I saw on Friday while waiting for my IS to be serviced... It's quite amazing when you have it in front of you!
Damn! That black is BANANAS!

Quick Reply: What's everyone's thoughts on the RC?