question for your aftermarket exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 05:29 AM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
What about Fsport exhaust? many said it doesn't have a drone
I can tell you F-Sport has a drone right around the RPM range the OP is concerned about.
It can be annoying for someone that isnt looking for a booming sound in stop and go or slower traffic.

Driving with TRAC OFF and in Sport Mode seems to quiet down some of the drone though.
I see that someone mentioned the drone disappeared once a cold air intake was installed. Is that true?
I am considering the GReddy CAI, and will purchase soon if it rids my exhaust of some drone.
Old 11-09-14, 08:29 AM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting....I'd like to know that too!
Old 11-09-14, 11:14 AM
hanhanvic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
I see that someone mentioned the drone disappeared once a cold air intake was installed. Is that true?
I am considering the GReddy CAI, and will purchase soon if it rids my exhaust of some drone.
can someone confirm this ?
Old 11-12-14, 04:00 PM
WiLz
Driver

I have the F-sport exhaust with Greddy intake, but I got the exhaust after I already had the intake, so I cannot comment on how the intake affects the drone. Maybe the intake sound just covers up the drone more.

I can tell you that F-sport definitely has drone. Pretty much every aftermarket exhaust is going to have drone, it's just a matter of how obtrusive the sound is and what appeals/annoys you personally. The F-sport exhaust mildly increases the exhaust sound volume at all RPMs, but it is not an annoying drone. Many people enjoy the sound and will not call it a drone at all, depends on your definition of drone.

As someone mentioned, when you put the car in Sport Mode, you hear less of the "drone". This is because Sport Mode keeps the car at higher RPMs. At lower RPMs the exhaust note is lower pitched, whereas at higher RPMs the exhaust note is higher pitched; and people typically associated drone with a low pitched tone. So for example, if you keep at a steady 60mph, you will notice more "drone" if you were in 8th gear compared to if you were in 7th gear.

I have some in-car sound clips of the F-sport at varying RPMs that I haven't had time to process, but if people are interested, I can get to posting those.
Old 11-12-14, 06:38 PM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by WiLz
I have the F-sport exhaust with Greddy intake, but I got the exhaust after I already had the intake, so I cannot comment on how the intake affects the drone. Maybe the intake sound just covers up the drone more.

I can tell you that F-sport definitely has drone. Pretty much every aftermarket exhaust is going to have drone, it's just a matter of how obtrusive the sound is and what appeals/annoys you personally. The F-sport exhaust mildly increases the exhaust sound volume at all RPMs, but it is not an annoying drone. Many people enjoy the sound and will not call it a drone at all, depends on your definition of drone.

As someone mentioned, when you put the car in Sport Mode, you hear less of the "drone". This is because Sport Mode keeps the car at higher RPMs. At lower RPMs the exhaust note is lower pitched, whereas at higher RPMs the exhaust note is higher pitched; and people typically associated drone with a low pitched tone. So for example, if you keep at a steady 60mph, you will notice more "drone" if you were in 8th gear compared to if you were in 7th gear.

I have some in-car sound clips of the F-sport at varying RPMs that I haven't had time to process, but if people are interested, I can get to posting those.
Im interested to hear em! That is the same combination I'll be testing out, once the intake is purchased.

Sidenote: how noticeable was the growl when you paired the intake with stock exhaust? Because of the louder exhaust notes with F-Sport, i have considered getting an intake, but switching back to stock exhaust.

Last edited by DoomBuggy; 11-12-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-13-14, 12:04 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
Im interested to hear em! That is the same combination I'll be testing out, once the intake is purchased.

Sidenote: how noticeable was the growl when you paired the intake with stock exhaust? Because of the louder exhaust notes with F-Sport, i have considered getting an intake, but switching back to stock exhaust.
Please post these!!!!