ATS, Camaro then back to my 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 05:13 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ATS, Camaro then back to my 3IS

Good day all,

I just returned home from my trip to the US ( California and Nevada only) and during the my stay there I rented two cars which are the Cadillac ATS for 7 days and the Camaro V6 convertible for 4 days. I would like to say hello to all the people of California and show my surprise of the huge number of 3ISs in the state of California ( more than any luxury small sedan in the segment ) .

I started with the ATS and that car looks good from outside and not bad looking from inside either. I was very optimistic about the car driving dynamics after reading some reviews , but unfortunately it left me disappointed as it was not sporty at all ! .

The next points are the things which I didn't like about the Cadillac :

1- The seats were hard and not comfy.
2- While driving the car I don't feel that it is a luxury brand car ! ( I don't know why).
3- The suspension is soft , as result the car bounces !
4- The backup camera is terrible ( low resolution).
5- The 2.0T is not smooth and sound like S***.

But enough with the cons there was some pros also such as :

1- The fuel economy of the 2.0T is actually good specially since gas is very expensive in your country .
2- When the turbos kicks in you can hear it ( I like the sound of turbos but not the sound of the exhaust).
3- The car was quiet even with California bad highways ( I noticed the tires are the Michelin's Primacy mxm4 which are good tires).
4- Cadillac CUE is not bad at all and easy to use.

Verdict :

This car is no match to the Lexus 3IS from luxury or sportiness point of view and I don't want to sound harsh but this car is not in the luxury segment to me.

The Camaro ...

I rented this car from San Fransisco to travel to Los Angeles on the Pacific Coast Highway . The car came with the V6 engine and the 18" wheels and its convertible . I think the 20" wheels will make the car too harsh and unforgiving as a result the 18" wheels with the sporty suspension seems like a good combination. Having a convertible sporty car on the PCH was a very good choice ! specially with the nice weather and good scenery , but there was some annoying things such as :
1- The dashboard is outdated and GM needs to work on releasing the next Camaro as early as next year.
2- Backup camera has low res.
3- The trunk is so small ( the opening and the space).
4-The car is slow (I would say it is as fast as the is250) .
5- It has a weird dimensions.

Overall Liked how the Camaro drove and the convertible roof , also the car seems to attract attention ( if you know what I mean !) .

I'm back driving my 3IS and I know I made the best choice buying the Lexus as it combines the luxury ,sportiness and good look. It is unfortunate that Lexus did not release the hybrid version in the US as it will sell very good ( if I live there I would buy the Hybrid !) . Finally I enjoyed my stay there since the people of California are very friendly and nice, and I still feel like giving California and Vegas another visit since two weeks are not enough .

Last edited by AMNss; 10-29-14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 04:42 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
The Camaro ...

I rented this car from San Fransisco to travel to Los Angeles on the Pacific Coast Highway . The car came with the V6 engine and the 18" wheels and its convertible . I think the 20" wheels will make the car too harsh and unforgiving as a result the 18" wheels with the sporty suspension seems like a good combination. Having a convertible sporty car on the PCH was a very good choice ! specially with the nice weather and good scenery , but there was some annoying things such as :
1- The dashboard is outdated and GM needs to work on releasing the next Camaro as early as next year.
2- Backup camera has low res.
3- The trunk is so small ( the opening and the space).
4-The car is slow (I would say it is as fast as the is250) .
5- It has a weird dimensions.

Overall Liked how the Camaro drove and the convertible roof , also the car seems to attract attention ( if you know what I mean !) .
Coming from a Camaro owner myself, I have to say the following:

1. Yes, the V6 is a terrible engine. Its 323hp of limp, oil drinking crap. Typically the joke of the camaro community. As for the 20" wheels, I have them on my SS and the ride is rather smooth. While it might be "less" bumpy with 18", the 20" are more attractive with little to no downside.

2. The interior was probably a letdown because you were in a non-RS model V6. Essentially, almost pushing base model quality interior. My entire interior is leather or soft touch plastic. While its not to par with my wife's 2015 3IS, it certainly isn't bad either.

3. Trunk...lol Couldn't agree more.

My wife and I wanted to use a convertible for our honeymoon in California for that exactly reason, to drive with the top down going down the PCH. However, as you saw, they only had V6s for a reasonable price, and I couldn't get myself to drive the V6 haha.

Hope you enjoyed your trip!
Old 10-30-14, 08:01 AM
goshawk823
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last 2 cars were Camaros; a 2010 RS (V6) and a 2013 2SS/RS (V8, 400hp with the automatic, rather than the LS3 with manual)
Fun cars to drive. Both my cars came with remote start, which wasn't even available on my 2014 IS350.
I miss the torque of the SS. I miss the HUD!
But my IS350 has the same HP as my 2010 Camaro did.
The interior on my SS was pretty nice, as Swacer mentioned. A lot better than the 2010.
The 2016 Camaro is built on the same platform as the Cadillac ATS, so it should be lighter and a bit smaller.
Old 10-30-14, 06:09 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked at SS and while I love the power, the interior was a big turn off. Living in New England, a 400hp RWD daily driver wasn't practical for me.
Old 10-31-14, 04:07 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Well.. The SS interior does look better than the V6 , but still feels outdated to me compared to new cars. For example the green lights on the dashboard feels old and the info screen in not colored. Anyway feeling that its outdated is objective and differs from each person , but it does drive good and we all agree on this .
Old 10-31-14, 04:59 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well.. The SS interior does look better than the V6 , but still feels outdated to me compared to new cars. For example the green lights on the dashboard feels old and the info screen in not colored. Anyway feeling that its outdated is objective and differs from each person , but it does drive good and we all agree on this .
This was updated to full color and full color HUD in 2014.
Old 10-31-14, 05:50 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Swacer
This was updated to full color and full color HUD in 2014.
I looked at the 2014 pics and true its colored , they probably left the v6 uncolored !
Old 11-01-14, 11:44 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

AMNss....Where did you get the rear spoiler on your IS350? It looks really good....
Old 11-01-14, 10:55 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wthrman2
AMNss....Where did you get the rear spoiler on your IS350? It looks really good....
Thanks...

All 3IS in middle east comes with the rear spoiler except the low optioned is250 . The 2015 is350 f-sport comes with seat heating/cooling , memory seats and all options available including the fog lights. The only trick is that it costs more ( 49-53k ) . Btw dealers in the US started offering this option with the 2015 3IS and you can order it from your dealer, but it is little different ( I think it looks better).
Old 11-02-14, 06:00 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Thanks. I am in Canada but I'll see if the option is available here and if not, I could go in the states and have it installed there.
Old 11-02-14, 05:39 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Thanks. I am in Canada but I'll see if the option is available here and if not, I could go in the states and have it installed there.
And you can order it online from Nigel or maybe Sewell .
Old 11-02-14, 05:58 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Much appreciated.
Old 11-03-14, 09:36 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks...

All 3IS in middle east comes with the rear spoiler except the low optioned is250 . The 2015 is350 f-sport comes with seat heating/cooling , memory seats and all options available including the fog lights. The only trick is that it costs more ( 49-53k ) . Btw dealers in the US started offering this option with the 2015 3IS and you can order it from your dealer, but it is little different ( I think it looks better).
It seems impossible to get a "fully loaded" 350 in the US. If you want a spoiler and adaptive suspension, you need the F-Sport. But then you can't have memory seats. If you want memory seats, you need to get the non F-Sport model, but then you don't get adaptive suspension. These options packages make no sense to me. Why don't they offer a car with every option?
Old 11-04-14, 07:16 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
It seems impossible to get a "fully loaded" 350 in the US. If you want a spoiler and adaptive suspension, you need the F-Sport. But then you can't have memory seats. If you want memory seats, you need to get the non F-Sport model, but then you don't get adaptive suspension. These options packages make no sense to me. Why don't they offer a car with every option?
I think its marketing ( to make the f sport more affordable and to leave some space for next releases).
The good thing about lexus is the international waranty , so you could buy it from other countries and still have waranty. I think the F Sport comes more equiped in Canada, so people can buy it from there .
Old 11-04-14, 09:57 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Well ... This guy found the same observations about the ATS , GM didn't fix it with the coupe.

Quick Reply: ATS, Camaro then back to my 3IS