RS*R Down Camber Wear...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 06:53 AM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry RS*R Down Camber Wear...

Hi y'all.

Just giving you my experiences with my RS*R Down springs with ~ 2.7 degrees of negative camber.

Installed Michelin Pilot Super Sports in April and drove ~16,000 km on them. I changed over last night to all seasons as the temps are approaching freezing and noticed that the steel belts are slightly showing on the inner edge. I did an alignment in April as well and everything is within spec and I adjusted the toe to be 0.

Front tires are fine (7/32) but my rear tires are 8/32 outer, 5/32 mid-patch and 0/32 inner. Basically $750 in tires gone after a season .

Anybody else have any experience with this or is it far too early to tell with this setup? Can anyone that drives a decent amount chime in? I'm considering taking out the lowering springs in order to preserve my winter tires and summer tires.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ultran00b8; 10-29-14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 08:44 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was under the impression that wear comes almost all from toe alignment. If your toe is good then the tire will wear out at the same rate whatever camber you are on.
Old 10-29-14, 09:06 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drbazing
I was under the impression that wear comes almost all from toe alignment. If your toe is good then the tire will wear out at the same rate whatever camber you are on.
no not always, and most people i come across have that wrong interpretation too. technically, both improper toe and camber will wear down your tires. toe has to do with the direction your wheel faces--inside/outside toe. camber has to do with the degree of which your tires contact the ground. i personally have always had a problem with tire wear particularly on the rear, if i don't get a camber kit on the rear, i shred my tires in months. anything usually more than negative 1-1.5 degrees will see prominent tire wear.

hear is a good illustration (top right of pic) of the exact reason why the OP had his inner tires shred up before his outer, because there's so much more contact on the inner part with the ground, resulting from lowering the car, in turn producing neg cam. don't get me wrong camber is good, especially in racing and on the track, but even then so, those F1 drivers change their tire set 2-3 times within each race.

unfortunately, the OP just has to wait for an aftermarket comp to make a rear camber kit, that or he can get springs with a much more moderate drop like the RSR half downs.

Old 10-29-14, 10:07 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My alignment guy is great. He does alignment for a lot of the autox and track guys. With a high neg camber you can adjust the toe to give you even wear. I have neg 3.0 camber in the rear of my s2k. The tires on the rear wheels look great with no uneven wear.
Old 10-29-14, 11:45 AM
ultran00b8
Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
no not always, and most people i come across have that wrong interpretation too. technically, both improper toe and camber will wear down your tires. toe has to do with the direction your wheel faces--inside/outside toe. camber has to do with the degree of which your tires contact the ground. i personally have always had a problem with tire wear particularly on the rear, if i don't get a camber kit on the rear, i shred my tires in months. anything usually more than negative 1-1.5 degrees will see prominent tire wear.

hear is a good illustration (top right of pic) of the exact reason why the OP had his inner tires shred up before his outer, because there's so much more contact on the inner part with the ground, resulting from lowering the car, in turn producing neg cam. don't get me wrong camber is good, especially in racing and on the track, but even then so, those F1 drivers change their tire set 2-3 times within each race.

unfortunately, the OP just has to wait for an aftermarket comp to make a rear camber kit, that or he can get springs with a much more moderate drop like the RSR half downs.
Thanks for your response.

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
My alignment guy is great. He does alignment for a lot of the autox and track guys. With a high neg camber you can adjust the toe to give you even wear. I have neg 3.0 camber in the rear of my s2k. The tires on the rear wheels look great with no uneven wear.
What approximate settings does your alignment guy do?

I'm going to either have my springs completely removed and returned to stock or do another alignment with factory specs (I know it will be off as I am lowered).
Old 10-29-14, 12:19 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Pic for reference.

Old 10-29-14, 02:09 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't believe there are no camber arms out yet for these cars. Wish the aftermarket would catch up.
Old 10-29-14, 05:11 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

you gotta pay to play. neg camber will most definitely prematurely wear out the inner tire. on my previous ride, i ran a -3 camber and basically would flip the tires every 6k miles or so to get more life out of them. add to that the rwd platform, it's inevitable.
Old 10-30-14, 09:09 AM
ultran00b8
Driver

Yup. But people on the CL Facebook group also say it may be toe wear in conjunction with camber.

I'm not familiar with toe wear so can the experts comment on my case by looking at a picture of my worn tires?
Old 10-30-14, 09:47 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF

I agree with you and running that much camber puts more stress on one side of the tire but with correct toe, should last more than 1 season.

Originally Posted by ultran00b8
Yup. But people on the CL Facebook group also say it may be toe wear in conjunction with camber.

I'm not familiar with toe wear so can the experts comment on my case by looking at a picture of my worn tires?
Like I said on my first reply, it has to be a toe issue. If you're running negative camber but with close to 0 toe, the tire won't wear for that short of a time. It's not going to last longer than a 0 toe 0 camber setup but it sure will last more than one season.
Old 10-30-14, 10:35 AM
ultran00b8
Driver

Originally Posted by drbazing
I agree with you and running that much camber puts more stress on one side of the tire but with correct toe, should last more than 1 season.

Like I said on my first reply, it has to be a toe issue. If you're running negative camber but with close to 0 toe, the tire won't wear for that short of a time. It's not going to last longer than a 0 toe 0 camber setup but it sure will last more than one season.
I guess I will try with a but of toe in so at speed it'll be close to 0 toe. It should be 0 toe right now static.
Old 10-30-14, 01:17 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

On RSR Downs - I noticed front inner wear today. I just about hit 15K miles and had rsr downs on for approx 12k of those 15. Im looking at toyo proxy t4's for new tires. Any other recommendations ? Any way to correct it?
Old 10-30-14, 02:21 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JB5674
On RSR Downs - I noticed front inner wear today. I just about hit 15K miles and had rsr downs on for approx 12k of those 15. Im looking at toyo proxy t4's for new tires. Any other recommendations ? Any way to correct it?
Either put back the stock springs (probably won't be your option) or get a camber kit and adjust camber (I don't think there's a product for our car out there, for now). Not sure how far can the stock control arms go to correct camber from aftermarket modification to the suspension.
Old 10-30-14, 07:36 PM
atomic350
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow I'm surprised how quick those tires wore out. I have the same set-up. Down springs on 350 AWD.
I've put about 8k miles with 19" Continental tires on and they have even wear. I suspect it's your extreme camber in the rear. You mentioned -2.7 in the rear after getting an alignment. I waited month after installing the springs to do an alignment and the cambers in the rear came out within spec to -1.9 and -2.0. Did you make sure to torque the rear control arm bolts with the car sitting on the ground after installing the springs? How long did you wait before doing an alignment? I just don't think its the down springs causing that much of a negative camber.
Old 10-31-14, 04:33 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JB5674
it really depends on what your setup/preference is. if you want summer tires, my friend swears by the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They have the highest reviews/ratings on tirerack.com so i guess many have vouched for their performance. i think Continental DWS would be the best all-season tires.

i'm done with directional, summer, and/or extreme performance tires..i see no value in buying tires every season or every other season because those types of tires either don't last as long or have limitations (e.g., can't rotate). as a daily driven 3IS, i want my tires to last!

Quick Reply: RS*R Down Camber Wear...