IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

clear bra on white

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 05:00 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear bra on white

Does anyone have a clear bra (the paint protectant film kind) on an ultra white? I was planning on having one installed on mine to cover the nose/front bumper area, but now I'm worried that it might make the white paint under the film look yellow, or the film itself may age yellow which is not the look I'm going for.

My husband has one on his imperial blue metallic 2012 Camaro, and it has been great for keeping his front end free of any rock chips, but you can't even see it on such a dark color.

Anyone with experience or photos?
Old 10-27-14, 05:42 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i had xpel ultimate on my starfire pearl 2IS and it started to discolour at around the four year mark. i had it replaced under warranty and bought my 3IS soon after. it was absolutely worth the investment as my previous car looked amazing. as on dark colors, as long as you go to a reputable installer and they wrap the edges, you won't be able to see the film on white either.
Old 10-27-14, 05:47 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the dealer put one on our Starfire Pearl RX, and I wouldn't do it again. After a little more than a year, I can see a just a touch of yellowing. Really, it's almost none, and I'm not sure anyone else would notice. I don't know what kind of material they used, so I can't say if it's a good quality mask. I suspect it isn't.

What I really dislike is the edges. A fine line of dirt collects right on the edge that I can neither prevent nor clean. It looks a little like the wax or polish build up you would get if you didn't mask off the edge first, and it really shows on the white paint. I'm told the only way to get rid of it is to trim the edge of the mask off.
Old 10-27-14, 07:02 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have on UW now, and it hasnt discolored at all yet...
Old 10-27-14, 07:03 AM
IS1911
Driver

Get the film. Yes it could yellow in a few years but it's just the film not the paint. Theres nothing as good as factory paint so do everything you can to protect it. Whenever you polish or wax the car simply put a piece of 3M Blue Painters Tape over the edge. This will prevent any polish or wax from accumulating at the line.

For those that already have polish or wax at the edge purchase a couple packs of Micro-Brush brand brushes from a hobby supplier and use them with a mild solvent like isopropyl alcohol or tar and bug remover. It will take a little work but you'll be able to get that area clean again.
Old 10-27-14, 07:41 AM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As with anything in life you get what you pay for that also includes a clear bra. I have Suntek and it is nearly impossible to tell if its on completely clear and also is self healing. I also put Gtechniq all over my car as well as the PPF

I have it half way up my hood, full front, lights, mirrors and door cups.

Last edited by Antnie2418; 10-27-14 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-27-14, 04:25 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

I also have suntek installed, and I think it looks great. The lines are barely visible on the front bumper. Even if it yellows after a few years, you can remove and replace it, and the paint underneath will still be perfect. At 150 dollars for a diy bumper kit, I think it's a pretty good investment to protect the factory paint.
Old 10-28-14, 12:36 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I have expel ultimate on my car for around 8 months now. My 3IS is UW and I firmly believe that this was the most important and ultimately successful investment that I made in my car. So far no discoloration or any hint of turning yellowish. The installer said that xpel ultimate guarantees this product for 10 years!

As far as the protection this clear bra provides is unbelievable. Not a single stone chip or even a scratch notwithstanding I drive mostly on the freeways. I would have made this investment again if I had to. Just find a reputable shop that does quality work and you should be all good to go.

Last edited by salvadorik; 10-28-14 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-28-14, 05:07 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions!
Old 10-28-14, 06:26 AM
textekvbal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do it, Will let the pic speak for itself.

Xpel PPF topped off with a coating of CQuartz Finest.
Attached Thumbnails clear bra on white-cquartz-1.jpg  
Old 10-28-14, 11:31 AM
jeffyffej
Driver School Candidate

I also have Suntek on and you can't tell it's there. When my installer put it on I even told him it looks awesome like there's nothing on it. If you have a certified Suntek installer it's a lifetime warranty and if it breaks or yellows you can get it replaced.

I think it's completely worth the investment as it gives me peace of mind when I drive. Not having to worry about rocks flying from road construction, or gravel trucks dropping rocks on the freeway, as well as protecting factory paint which jbhkat303 mentioned nothing beats factory paint.

[Update]: I actually have Nano-Fusion Paint Protection Film, and Suntek for my window tints. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by jeffyffej; 11-03-14 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Mixup of brands.
Old 10-29-14, 05:14 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Xpel Ultimate on my UW since April (picked it up in March) and other than the edges on the fenders and hood, it is completely invisible. It does go halfway up my hood/fenders and covers the headlights and front painted surfaces. I also have Gtechnique coating. It is worth the investment!
Old 10-29-14, 05:22 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine from Lumar and its terrible , the discoloration appeared after 6 months and now the front of my car is little yellow and mate colored .

Look at the picture below and you see the line there !

BTW when I clean the car it looks way worse , so I need to change it as early as next year.

Last edited by AMNss; 10-29-14 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 04:54 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Thanks everyone for the pictures and input.

This is another question for anyone who would like to chime in whether you have had good luck or have had discoloration: did you drive in the winter with salt/snow? I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. In Pittsburgh, I will have plenty of snow and salt to deal with.
Old 10-30-14, 05:41 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No snow around here , but it gets too hot around here with some sand storms every now and then.

Quick Reply: clear bra on white