IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Brake Pad Replacement Options; F Sport vs. Non-F Sport Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 10:40 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Pad Replacement Options; F Sport vs. Non-F Sport Pads

Unbelievable, but my 2014 IS350 AWD F Sport brake pads need replacement at a mere 10k miles.

What are my options for replacement?

Can someone please help me understand the differences between the OEM F Sport pads vs. the Non-F Sport ones; material / composition, performance / specs, longevity, dust production, price, etc.

Also, is it possible to put Non-F Sport pads on an F Sport model without changing the rotors?

Thank you!
Old 10-23-14, 06:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I can't answer all of your questions, but I do have the non F Sport pads on my car (as it's a non F Sport model).

For stopping power, I didn't notice any difference (when test driving) between the F Sport and the non F Sport. In the magazine reviews that I've read, they haven't noted any difference is stopping distance.

As for dust, I would say these are the least dusty pads I've ever had. Even my RX wheels get dirtier. They are fantastic.

Where I suspect the real advantage of the F Sport pads lies is on the track, where I *assume* they are better at resisting fade under extreme heat.

Edit: I should add, I have 8500 miles on my IS. I'll have the wear measured at my next service appointment in a couple weeks, but I believe they are nowhere near replacement time. They were barely showing wear at my 5k service.
Old 10-23-14, 09:59 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stoptech has pads for the 350 F sport. I have them on my car that I replaced at 15k miles, very little dust!!!
Old 10-23-14, 10:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

F Sport pads have different feel than non F Sport OEM pads but with greatly reduced dust. I put my F Sport pads on if I go to the track
Old 10-23-14, 10:09 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EJ255t
Stoptech has pads for the 350 F sport. I have them on my car that I replaced at 15k miles, very little dust!!!
did you replace pads only or rotors too? if pads only, did you have to resurface the rotors at all? if not, do you notice any thing new like squeaking, performance degradation ect.?
Old 10-23-14, 12:09 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

i replaced both pads and rotors.

OEM rotors were done, and getting Stoptech rotors/pads were cheaper then what lexus quoted me.

I love the new setup, no noise, no brake dust like OEM pads, and a lot better bite.

I have Stoptech street pads and slotted/drilled front rotors
Old 10-23-14, 01:10 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

OEM rotors were done, and getting Stoptech rotors/pads were cheaper then what lexus quoted me.

I love the new setup, no noise, no brake dust like OEM pads, and a lot better bite.

Holy cow...your rotors were below minimum thickness at 15k?!!
Old 10-23-14, 01:18 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a smart move - how much and where did you get them?

Thanks, Bill G
Old 10-23-14, 01:24 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
F Sport pads have different feel than non F Sport OEM pads but with greatly reduced dust. I put my F Sport pads on if I go to the track
So Non-F Sport pads would work with F Sport rotors?

And do the rotors needs to be machined each time there's a swap?
Old 10-23-14, 01:47 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Also, why are F Sport pads cheaper than Non-F Sport pads, from Sewell, at least?
Old 10-23-14, 02:45 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redspencer
Holy cow...your rotors were below minimum thickness at 15k?!!
that's what ii said when I took my car in for service. im the 2nd owner of the car, so im guessing the guy before me didn't really maintain the car or the OEM rotor/pads are crap!
Old 10-23-14, 02:46 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Sounds like a smart move - how much and where did you get them?

Thanks, Bill G
i got the rotors for $300 and the pads were about 60, i installed them myself which saved me like 200-300.

I got them from THmotorsports.
Old 10-23-14, 03:45 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

i got the rotors for $300 and the pads were about 60, i installed them myself which saved me like 200-300.

I got them from THmotorsports.
Thanks - we just got our IS but I want to know what to expect when the time comes.
Old 10-23-14, 04:21 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Thanks - we just got our IS but I want to know what to expect when the time comes.
no problem. just prepare to clean your wheels a lot from all the brake dust!!
Old 10-23-14, 04:52 PM
IS1911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I can't answer all of your questions, but I do have the non F Sport pads on my car (as it's a non F Sport model).

For stopping power, I didn't notice any difference (when test driving) between the F Sport and the non F Sport.

As for dust, I would say these are the least dusty pads I've ever had.
I agree with all of the above. I was concerned at first because during the first 100 or so miles the dust was crazy but I realized the pads were seating. I'm now coming up on 900 miles and at this point I am experiencing very little brake dust. In addition I have two coats of Griot's Garage Paint Sealant on my wheels and this makes them very easy to clean. My car has the 18-inch 5-spoke wheels which are much easier to clean than other styles. I can even get behind the spokes to clean them.

As for you guys who are complaining about the dust and lack of longevity welcome to the world of performance cars and I hate to say this but the Lexus IS isn't even really a high performance machine compared to other offerings. When I had my Porsche for instance the rotors were cross drilled and could not be machined. They had to be replaced every time the pads were replaced. Don't ask the price, you don't want to know what Porsche parts and labor costs. It's one reason I got rid of that car. The more performance components you put on a car the more "fragile" the car becomes and the more maintenance it requires.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Replacement Options; F Sport vs. Non-F Sport Pads