IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

350 vs 350 F sport

Old 10-22-14, 07:16 AM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 vs 350 F sport

I can't deal with the lack options on the F that are available on the non F.
I would still like to have some sport car handling. Can anyone describe the actual differences in handling between these two models ?
Old 10-22-14, 08:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have a 350 AWD non-F Sport. My impression, which may be different from others, is that the non F Sport 3IS suspension, in terms of sport capability, falls somewhere between the 2IS suspension and the 3IS F Sport. It is very similar to the 350 F Sport when in normal mode. In other words, it's definitely not "soft" and still returns great handling. I frequently toss it around corners quite aggressively and it has never let me down.

Here's a Motor Trend test of the non F Sport version, very similar to my configuration:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...wd_first_test/

You just need to drive both and decide. I drove both, and while I liked several aspects of the F Sport, I was unwilling to do without some of the features that were left off of the F Sport, and there were a few things about the F Sport that I really did not like (black headliner, for one). One year later, I have no regrets.
Old 10-22-14, 03:34 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I absolutely hate Lexus for this picking and choosing of option packages. Just offer a damn sport package like everyone else.

They are doing it on the NX now as well. I won't make this mistake again.
Old 10-22-14, 06:05 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The handling is great on the non F. I couldn't give up the luxury package options for the "looks fast but isn't" stuff you get with the F sport.
Old 10-22-14, 08:17 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally think the non f sport front bumper looks better. The only thing I like more on the f sport than the non are the rims
Old 10-23-14, 06:03 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

You guys have forgotten that the predominant feature from the F Sport package is the

Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with Sport S+ driving mode (IS 350 F SPORT)

If you guys test drive the F Sport in sport+ mode vs the non F in sport mode back to back in the streets around corners, it's then you feel the noticeable differences in the "fun to drive"aspect!

Other minor and exclusive features includes

1. LFA instrumental cluster
2. Black Headliners
3. Perforated steering wheel and ****

I would still choose the sport version of this car because of the F Sport badge it carries and how fun to drive the model is!

A plus is the more aggressive and bold styling of the front including the removal of the fog lights replacing it with polygon-like shaped air vents.
Old 10-23-14, 12:34 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the IS 350 non-sport still have the Sport function? I know it won't have the Sport +
Old 10-23-14, 12:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes
Does the IS 350 non-sport still have the Sport function? I know it won't have the Sport +
Yes. Sport mode does all the same things as the F Sport (steering, throttle, transmission). There's just no AVS to modify in a Sport + mode.
Old 10-23-14, 12:48 PM
ISISGUY
Rookie

I have a non and even if you are worried about suspension, you can always add some sportier springs or even coilovers, but the handling is definitely not an issue for me and I came into the IS from a way stiffer car. I went from 17" wheels to staggered 18" and I feel that made a difference as well.
Old 10-24-14, 09:51 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Car manufacturers have about an 8% gross margin. In 2000 they had a 20% margin. Think about that. 8% gross margin is **** and companies can't survive long with a margin like that unless they pump up the volume. From now until the day you die -- there will be tradeoffs whether you're aware of them or not.
Old 10-24-14, 04:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
In 2000 they had a 20% margin.
I gotta throw a challenge flag on that one...

Anyways, having driven both the F Sport and non F Sport, the base/luxury car is plenty sharp and fun to drive. I personally think the cosmetic changes and AVS make the F Sport the trim I would buy even with the loss in features, just because I think it fits the personality of the car better.
Old 10-24-14, 06:33 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
You guys have forgotten that the predominant feature from the F Sport package is the

Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with Sport S+ driving mode (IS 350 F SPORT)

If you guys test drive the F Sport in sport+ mode vs the non F in sport mode back to back in the streets around corners, it's then you feel the noticeable differences in the "fun to drive"aspect!

Other minor and exclusive features includes

1. LFA instrumental cluster
2. Black Headliners
3. Perforated steering wheel and ****

I would still choose the sport version of this car because of the F Sport badge it carries and how fun to drive the model is!

A plus is the more aggressive and bold styling of the front including the removal of the fog lights replacing it with polygon-like shaped air vents.
To me that's all gimmicky stuff. If the F Sport had 50+ hp over the base 350 then it might be appealing.
Old 10-24-14, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The AVS is certainly not a gimmick. It really does give the car a great duality
Old 10-24-14, 09:08 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I gotta throw a challenge flag on that one...

Anyways, having driven both the F Sport and non F Sport, the base/luxury car is plenty sharp and fun to drive. I personally think the cosmetic changes and AVS make the F Sport the trim I would buy even with the loss in features, just because I think it fits the personality of the car better.
Of course you would. If you'd have actually read my posts back in August 2013 instead of flaming the IS at every opportunity you 'd have read a post with links about auto manufacturer margins in 2000 and today. Toyota margins are about 10% -- still extremely slim. Here a link to EBIT margins 2013 -- http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...manufacturers/

You can search my posts for the link to the 2000 data or since you challenged -- prove me wrong with data and links.
Old 10-24-14, 10:17 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glashub
Of course you would. If you'd have actually read my posts back in August 2013 instead of flaming the IS at every opportunity you 'd have read a post with links about auto manufacturer margins in 2000 and today. Toyota margins are about 10% -- still extremely slim. Here a link to EBIT margins 2013 -- http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...manufacturers/

You can search my posts for the link to the 2000 data or since you challenged -- prove me wrong with data and links.
I'm curious about this, would you be able to take a screenshot of the graph? It says you need to log in to view it, and I don't particularly feel like making an account. Would be greatly appreciated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350 vs 350 F sport