IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Old 03-07-14, 01:51 PM
liquidz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those tints aren't "clear". They are light tint that allows either 70% to 90% of light transmission while still retaining some UV and heat rejection property. These clear tints may have a slight blue hue to them like the "Llumar Air Blue 80" (which I have).

My old car had 35% all around which was bareable but made backing up more difficult. Now that my Lexus has a backup camera I don't think 35% would be too dark. Personally for me, I have the "Llumar Air Blue 80" and I like the "clear" tint because it's not too dark, it provides heat and UV rejection like dark tints do, and most people don't even notice it's there.
Old 03-07-14, 03:51 PM
crzyis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to get 50 or even 35% Crystalline. I can tell you it does reduce some heat but not all heat. I had them on my Gs350 and was very happy with it. At 400 its a decent price as I been quoted 5-7 to do 5 windows plus clear on my moonroof on my IS
Old 03-07-14, 04:23 PM
RaysurX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Renaeis250
I put 20% window tint on my lexus, its still to dark at night to see anything.
i went back to the place i got my tints and he is offering me Crystalline Tint by 3M?
He showed me it was a clear tint, but will stop more heat & uv than the 20% black tints
i have. Is it worth it ? They want 400.00 to remove my old tints and redo with the new clear tint.

Crystalline comes in 40 50 60 70 90 Visible light transmission grades. Product codes should be CR40, CR50 etc. The shop sound like they were trying to sell you CR90? All classes of the CR line will block UV at 99.9%.

Here is there product chart. (http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...nce%20Data.pdf)

If you don't want clear or too dark...ask for CR40.

I don't have 3M rather I have HUPER OPTIK ceramic 40% on the sides. Similar or same tech to the 3M, I prefer HUPER as I believe they were the original patent holders and it worked very well on my previous ride.

The price they are quoting appears fair given the materials and labor.

If you are willing to spend that much...search for Huper Optik vs 3M comparisons. WINCOS is another ceramic tint manufacturer also.

Ceramic tint DOES significantly reduce heat into the cabin. With UV blocking... you are essentially further protecting the interior...you just cant' see the protection you've added day over day like you can with the noticeable heat rejection.
Old 03-07-14, 04:35 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a a very good price for removing old tint and install new 3M Crystalline. I have it installed on my Z4M (not sure what level) and very happy with it. Go to the shop and ask them to give you a sample piece to put it on the window and see what you like best.
Old 03-08-14, 12:26 PM
Renaeis250
Rookie

i am going back on monday morning to the shop. i will snap a picture of the tint. thanks for all the answers everyone.
Old 03-08-14, 07:59 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

I'm also using 20% tint on my 3IS and I dont think its too dark. Even I sometimes feel its a little too exposed. My old 2gs has 5% tint. I think u shouldnt remove ur tint. Save some $$ and just get ur eyes get used to it. Just my $0.02
Old 03-09-14, 12:11 AM
splat0023
Rookie

I have 15% on the sides and the rear window plus 50% on the windshield and to me it's perfect. I can still see at night and it looks darker then it really is do to the windshield not letting more light inside.
Old 09-10-14, 02:32 PM
Moridan
Driver School Candidate

Default What type of tint should I use?

I spoke with the local tint shop and he was trying to tell me that if I used the standard metallic based tint, it would interfere with the GPS, radio, and other sensors the car has. As a car guy (and an electronics tech for 23+ years) I am 99% sure hes full of BS trying to get me to buy the tint that's double the cost.

But I wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-14, 03:42 PM
Chria89a
Driver School Candidate

That's bs man my 3is is tinted all around with suntek tint and have no issue what so ever.
Old 09-10-14, 03:45 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

It depends on the car, some old vehicles have issues with tints if they don't have external antennas for radios, but the 3IS should have no issues at all. I've yet to encounter any problems.
Old 09-10-14, 03:55 PM
mrkjsn
Rookie

I read about this topic elsewhere previously. See below on why Ceramic Tints were invented.

A Brief History of Ceramic Films...

Ceramic films were the result of cell phone technology.

Really?? Cell phone technology??

Actually ceramic films are the result of cell phone reception interference caused by metallic window tinting. Metallic films and HP films as they are known in the window tinting industry, were developed to increase heat rejection.

The Good... They worked in keeping the cars cooler!

The Bad... they interfered with anything sending a signal via radio waves.

As a result of auto manufactures putting tire sensors, GPS navigational equipment, and even radio antennas inside the cars, there came a need to develop a high heat rejecting window film that would not cause interference like the HP films did.

The result... Ceramic Window Film!

These films are actually colored with ceramic or carbon technology thus they contain no metals or dyes. This process makes them last longer than traditional films, without the signal blocking aspects of metallic films.
Old 09-10-14, 04:15 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ceramics are just so damn expensive. I'm debating if I should get the 40% ceramics (they only go that low) or maybe 15%-20% normal tint, both from 3M. The ceramic tints are like 3 times more expensive.
Old 09-10-14, 04:15 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the 3m crystalline. You won't be sorry
Old 09-10-14, 04:19 PM
kbbean08
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the formula one ceramics from llumar at 30% and I love them. Also added air blue 80 on the windshield and would never go without them now. Looks great and heat reduction is amazing. Good luck!
Old 09-10-14, 04:22 PM
mrkjsn
Rookie

Originally Posted by drbazing
Ceramics are just so damn expensive. I'm debating if I should get the 40% ceramics (they only go that low) or maybe 15%-20% normal tint, both from 3M. The ceramic tints are like 3 times more expensive.
Agreed. Might be worth it if you're keeping your car for a long time though since they tend to last longer than standard tints. Personally, for me, since I'm not hanging onto the car for a long time, I'm going standard tints. I have never personally experienced interference due to standard tints, so I'm not exactly tripping over myself to spend the extra cash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!