IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Old 12-28-13, 10:01 PM
JHooks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i am all for dark tint, i have 20% all around and a 5% brow on the top of the W/S but 35 on the WS is dangerous, at night you'll miss anything without lights, like maybe a parked car in the middle of the highway with no lights on.
and your a magnet for a ticket. good luck with that!

i can't see behind me with 20% on the sides and back unless whatever is behind me has headlights.
i can't see nearly as good as i would like when backing up and the camera is not detailed enough at night for real piece of mind.
therefore 5% is way too dark to see behind me.

20% in the day time you cannot see anyone in the car so i don't see the point in doing 5% all around.
I have had dark windows for the past 9 years and am used to driving like this. The darkest I have had a windshield is 5% which was to dark so switched back to 20%. It does not effect my driving at all. There is a big difference between 20% and 5% you can see through 20 but barley on 5. I usually double tint my windows to make sure there is 0 visibility. It is all preference and as for police I have several relationships with multiple cops and it's not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-p1020827.jpg   Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-imag0140.jpg   Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-imag0170.jpg  
Old 12-28-13, 10:10 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by breezytint
Tint laws in CA states 70% fronts and any darkness for the rest. Wow, that is really light......

If local authorities are pretty lenient than go with 35% fronts and the rest 20%
Any tint on fronts in ca is illegal , your only allowed to tint rear and there is no limit
Old 12-28-13, 10:50 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Thanks everybody! This is really helpful. I'll post pics of the final result.
Old 12-29-13, 01:31 AM
Oxytocin
Driver

I have 70 for my fronts and windshield, 30 for rears. At 70% x 70% (49%) my fronts are too dark. I was suppose to do 90% but somehow I forgot when I was at the installer (had to rush back to work). I find it too dark for my liking cause I kinda want people to be able to see me in the driver's seat

Anywho, one good thing is less heat on my face... But I still feel a bit of heat.
Old 12-30-13, 09:49 AM
Stickyiqqy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JHooks
I have 35% on windshield and 5% all around. Interior is black. I try to get more pics tomorrow during the day.
Wait you can tint the front windsheild!!!! Wish we could that up here in BC.
Old 12-30-13, 10:02 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thekhmer
Any tint on fronts in ca is illegal , your only allowed to tint rear and there is no limit
You are correct! My tint guy would refuse to tint the front due to liabilities. He said that he might get sue if the car involved in an accident and they deemed the unsafe situation created by the decrease in visibility. The same go for caf owner, he might get sue and/or deny insurance payout because of this.
Anyhow, I could never understood the reason for tinting the front windshield! Get a nice pair of sunglasses if the sun bothering you;-)
Old 12-30-13, 10:17 AM
KaShiDC
Rookie

In CA you should have many excellent tint shops. Pick a few of the top shops and take your car and talk to them in person. They will not only tell you what is legal they can make recommendations based on what you are looking for and which tint looks best on your color car.
Old 12-30-13, 10:31 AM
Oxytocin
Driver

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Anyhow, I could never understood the reason for tinting the front windshield! Get a nice pair of sunglasses if the sun bothering you;-)
The windshield is the largest transparent area of the car, tinting it attenuates the source heating up the cabin. I have my windshield tinted with Crystalline, it works really well. On occasion I have to run short errands and find it cumbersome to repeatedly put up my heatshield for only 20-30 minutes, having the windshield tinted drastically reduces the cabin temp when I return.
Old 12-30-13, 11:29 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your in the Los Angeles area then i highly recommend Sunshield Auto Tint in Sherman Oaks on Van Nuys Boulevard. They have been there for 30 years and I have been taking my cars there for 16 years. Excellent work, take really good care of your car, and know their stuff.
Old 12-30-13, 12:25 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Originally Posted by dstopsie
If your in the Los Angeles area then i highly recommend Sunshield Auto Tint in Sherman Oaks on Van Nuys Boulevard. They have been there for 30 years and I have been taking my cars there for 16 years. Excellent work, take really good care of your car, and know their stuff.
Thanks! I'll give them a call.
Old 12-30-13, 12:40 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Have you taken your IS there yet? Do you have any pics? I just called them and the prices are great.
Old 12-30-13, 01:17 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DreLo
Have you taken your IS there yet? Do you have any pics? I just called them and the prices are great.
Oh yes, I took it immediately after I got the car. Hami who is the owner has done all my cars. In fact even before I finalized the deal on my new car I called them to make the appointment for my tinting. I have pictures of it. I will post them from my iPad. He is very reputable and has been there for 30 years. His work is guaranteed and he does all of the dealers up and down Van Nuys boulevard. That is how I found him in 1996. I recommende Sunshield to another member on this cite to go there and he loved the work. I think it was Bruteshot who went there for his 3IS.

My windows are 20% charcoal. Ill sign off here and post some pics for you.
Old 12-30-13, 01:20 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Here's a pic. It's 20%. I like them on the dark side and I get the same tint all around
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-image.jpg  
Old 12-30-13, 01:21 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Another picture
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-image.jpg  
Old 12-30-13, 01:22 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Another shot

This was taken yesterday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!