IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Trading in my Z06 for an IS350. Am I nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 05:37 AM
svre46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in my Z06 for an IS350. Am I nuts?

New to the forum. Plan on trading in my 08 z06 for an IS350 F-Sport. People think I am crazy but I have been daily driving my 03 e500 and to be honest I don't really have time to fix cars anymore. Having a new warranty would be nice at this stage in my life.

I also don't drive the Vette more than 2k miles or so a year and have a R6 for the summer months. I have had many BMWs but this will be my first Lexus. I drove one last weekend and the dealer has three combos I am interested in. Which one do you guys prefer?

2015 Ultra White/Red F-Sport
2015 Nebula Grey/Red F-Sport
2015 Atomic Silver/Red F-Sport

I cant make up my mind. These are all AWD. I live in the Midwest and even though I am giving up the 8 speed trans this is a huge plus with snow. I am aiming for 47.5k on the car (msrp is 49.4k) and in the 40k ball park for trade.

Note: Considered the S4/S5 CPO but I feel these cars are looking a tad dated even with the facelift in 2013. F10 5series CPO was also considered but again new models around the corner.

Last edited by svre46; 10-16-14 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-16-14, 05:54 AM
svre46
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pictures. I already removed my cam and am swapping wheels tonight.

Old 10-16-14, 06:04 AM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous vette! I would go atomic silver.. That was the next colour I was considering if I didn't go with USB.

Wow you guys have weber restaurants.. First time I've seen that. I imagine their food is great
Old 10-16-14, 06:09 AM
Skillet83
Driver School Candidate

Do I think you'll miss the Vette... yes, but are you crazy... no.

If you're looking to get a more comfortable ride/functionality and still retain a car that's fun to drive then hands down the Lexus is a great choice. Now if the power is going to be something that you're going regret later and the maintenance doesn't bother you... I'd consider a i335 X-Drive (with a flash tune and bolt-ons those things are quick).

Color combos... I'm a fan of silver in general as I think it really accents body lines. With that said, I'm also a huge fan of the White on Red combo in the 3IS.

No Ragrets... you know what I'm sayin'?
Old 10-16-14, 06:36 AM
textekvbal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Going against the grain

There are only 2 colors IMHO to go with on this car and this are White and Black. If you go black though i would be ready to spring to have CQuartz Finest applied to reduce the amount of time you have to put into it to make it look amazing. That is my 2 cents. BTW, that ZO6 is SUHWEET!!!!
Old 10-16-14, 06:55 AM
svre46
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. Yeah it is a fast ride. I have always had a passion for fast cars. This past summer I have spent so much time on two wheels the car just sits.

The IS made sense to me purely on overall experience. The interior has come a long way from past generations. My e500 is pretty bland for the daily commute. It would be nice to have something new to enjoy every day and mod to my liking. Tint, drop and wheels will be on the agenda. I drive about 30 miles to work so I would like something comfortable but sporty. I should be going this evening to see what numbers I can work out at the dealer.

And yes we have Weber restaurants. Food is pretty damn good and you can watch everything get made in the kitchen.

Last edited by svre46; 10-16-14 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-16-14, 07:25 AM
Loe
Pole Position

I came from a bolt-on E90 M3 and downgraded in Horsepower, but the is350 is still enjoyable. So no, you are not crazy.

BTW, that Z06 is sweet. Youll miss it for sure.
Old 10-16-14, 07:32 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by svre46
Thanks guys. Yeah it is a fast ride. I have always had a passion for fast cars. This past summer I have spent so much time on two wheels the car just sits.

The IS made sense to me purely on overall experience. The interior has come a long way from past generations. My e500 is pretty bland for the daily commute. It would be nice to have something new to enjoy every day and mod to my liking. Tint, drop and wheels will be on the agenda. I drive about 30 miles to work so I would like something comfortable but sporty. I should be going this evening to see what numbers I can work out at the dealer.

And yes we have Weber restaurants. Food is pretty damn good and you can watch everything get made in the kitchen.
Very random, but is that the Weber Grill in Schaumburg?
Old 10-16-14, 07:33 AM
svre46
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Randre19
Very random, but is that the Weber Grill in Schaumburg?
Yes it is. I live in Itasca.
Old 10-16-14, 07:36 AM
dlwlsgks85
Rookie

Right next to XSport? Lol
Old 10-16-14, 07:36 AM
svre46
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Loe
I came from a bolt-on E90 M3 and downgraded in Horsepower, but the is350 is still enjoyable. So no, you are not crazy.

BTW, that Z06 is sweet. Youll miss it for sure.
I am sure I will but another part of this is practicality. Getting married next year and going to one reliable car will allow me a bit more freedom when we sell our townhouse for a house. Not to mention the less maintenance and repairs costs I have been accustom too. I just had 2nd gear/sycro replaced on the vette with only 22k miles on her. I also did the heads last year when doing my cam. I could always get a c5 in cash or maybe even a c6 again a in a few years.

Glad you guys dont think I am nuts
Old 10-16-14, 07:43 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Atomic Silver is the color. I tried hard to convince my wife of this. But as you can see, it didn't work.
Old 10-16-14, 08:00 AM
svre46
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moose66
Atomic Silver is the color. I tried hard to convince my wife of this. But as you can see, it didn't work.
My fiance loved that color. I on the other hand was still partial to grey and white. I guess ultimately it will come down to what is in stock when I am there and a flip of a coin. They all look good to me.

Last edited by svre46; 10-16-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-16-14, 08:04 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't go wrong with that red interior. As they say in the home improvement and interior design world, that red pops! No matter what the exterior color.

That Vette is one sweet ride though. Whether you have made your mind to unload or not, you will be thinking about the Vette for a while! Good luck!
Old 10-16-14, 08:22 AM
goshawk823
Rookie

I traded a 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS for the IS350. I miss the Camaro, and a couple of features (HUD and remote start), but I'm very happy with the IS. I couldn't use all 400 ponies on the roads around here without getting arrested, and I don't race...

Quick Reply: Trading in my Z06 for an IS350. Am I nuts?