IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

'15 IS350F AWD vs '15 Mercedes Benz C400 4MATIC

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 01:49 PM
SaraJanson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new C400 really is a better car than the IS 350 or the BMW 335I. That being said, it doesn't mean the new AMG will be getter than the M4 or RCF.

Mercedes have really stepped their game up from the 90's and early/mid 2000's. They do luxury like Lexus and performance like BMW. Obviously Lexus have stepped their game up as well with the new GS/IS and upcoming NX/RC. But when it comes to the new C Class and the S Class, Mercedes got a very definitive edge over Lexus. I believe that the GS/RX/NX are all better than their counterparts from Mercedes though.

That being said, I don't think Mercedes view the C CLASS as a competitor to the 3 Series or the IS group anymore. They are trying to push it upscale and enter the GS/A6 bracket. I think Mercedes will push the CLA upscale as the true competitor to the 3 Series, A4,ATS, IS etc etc. In which case, the CLA will probably fail really badly against them.
Old 10-30-14, 06:58 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by damtachoa
BMW and Mercedes are the most expensive to maintain. They're good only the first four years. That's why BMW and Mercedes are for those who want to lease. For cash buy with long terms driving, Lexus is the best choice.
I totally agree, and have actually told several people this...
Old 10-30-14, 10:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by microsurf
The reason they did this is because they wanted to screen to be close to the driver, if they built the dash around it, the dash would be huge and imposing. This design allows the interior space to be larger. It's been growing on me.
It's not really as much to keep the screen closer to the driver as much as your 2nd point. This way, the majority of the dash cowl height is kept low, increasing overall visibility and feeling of space in the cabin rather than the super tall dash height all the way through the center console. Many manufacturers are moving to this design element, even Lexus with the NX.
Old 10-30-14, 11:14 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's not really as much to keep the screen closer to the driver as much as your 2nd point. This way, the majority of the dash cowl height is kept low, increasing overall visibility and feeling of space in the cabin rather than the super tall dash height all the way through the center console. Many manufacturers are moving to this design element, even Lexus with the NX.
This is absolutely correct. I couldn't agree with you more on this. Manufacturers choose this design to increase the space in front of a driver and a passenger. A lot of folks criticize this design because it is still a new layout for them. For me personally, I like this design. In fact I like the screen layout better in NX than that in 3IS.
Old 10-30-14, 06:01 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by salvadorik
This is absolutely correct. I couldn't agree with you more on this. Manufacturers choose this design to increase the space in front of a driver and a passenger. A lot of folks criticize this design because it is still a new layout for them. For me personally, I like this design. In fact I like the screen layout better in NX than that in 3IS.
I completely agree this is an emerging trend but it personally doesn't appeal to me . . . unless . . . it could offer true iPad (not iPod but iPad) integration. Apple has been working with some auto manufacturers for several years now but as usual with Apple the results have been kept secret and will stay that way until they are ready to launch.

Trends in automotive design tend to come and go, sometimes quickly. For instance the big push to touch screens is being now replaced with remote controllers like the "mouse" in the IS and the new touch pad in the RC and of course the new Mercedes C-Class. In a few years from now we may be back to touch screens or onto something completely different.