Infiniti G37 to IS350 F-Sport: Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 09:19 AM
JSIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infiniti G37 to IS350 F-Sport: Need Advice

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I currently drive a 2012 Infiniti G37 coupe with AWD and the sport package that will be coming off lease at the end of the year. I love this car and have zero regrets. It's just time for a change, as Infiniti has not restyled the coupe since 2008 and I've grown tired of having limited trunk space and an almost non-existent rear seat.

I recently test drove an IS350 AWD F-Sport and instantly knew this was the car for me! I've read many favorable reviews, several posts on this forum and did extensive on-line research. So, I'm ready to pull the trigger on one. However, before I do, I would like some advice from current IS350 AWD F-Sport owners on this forum as to what I should look for and if there is anything I need to be aware of before I make my purchase.

In terms of options, it appears the IS350 AWD F-Sport comes pretty well equipped. Are there any options that are must haves? When building one on the Lexus website and shopping for one on-line, I've noticed that the Mark Levinson sound system is not offered on vehicles in the northeast. I'm from NJ and can't seem to locate one with ML. Has anyone else who lives in the northeast encountered this? I prefer not to order my car and just take one from a dealer's inventory. I plan to lease one as soon as the "December to Remember" sales event is announced at the end of November. The salesperson I spoke with said the lease offers are usually more attractive during this promotion.

I almost forgot to mention, the color combination I like is the Nebula Gray Pearl with the Riojo Red NuLuxe interior.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-12-14, 09:42 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JSIS350
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I currently drive a 2012 Infiniti G37 coupe with AWD and the sport package that will be coming off lease at the end of the year. I love this car and have zero regrets. It's just time for a change, as Infiniti has not restyled the coupe since 2008 and I've grown tired of having limited trunk space and an almost non-existent rear seat.

I recently test drove an IS350 AWD F-Sport and instantly knew this was the car for me! I've read many favorable reviews, several posts on this forum and did extensive on-line research. So, I'm ready to pull the trigger on one. However, before I do, I would like some advice from current IS350 AWD F-Sport owners on this forum as to what I should look for and if there is anything I need to be aware of before I make my purchase.

In terms of options, it appears the IS350 AWD F-Sport comes pretty well equipped. Are there any options that are must haves? When building one on the Lexus website and shopping for one on-line, I've noticed that the Mark Levinson sound system is not offered on vehicles in the northeast. I'm from NJ and can't seem to locate one with ML. Has anyone else who lives in the northeast encountered this? I prefer not to order my car and just take one from a dealer's inventory. I plan to lease one as soon as the "December to Remember" sales event is announced at the end of November. The salesperson I spoke with said the lease offers are usually more attractive during this promotion.

I almost forgot to mention, the color combination I like is the Nebula Gray Pearl with the Riojo Red NuLuxe interior.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Vehicles shipped to the northeast via normal allocations are non ML AWD. As you can see from my signature, I am from the northeast and have ML. That required a special order and a 3.5 month wait. Although the 3IS ML system is not the equal of the larger cabined LS reference system, it is significantly better experience than the 3IS base sound system.
Old 10-12-14, 09:45 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CtSFox

Vehicles shipped to the northeast via normal allocations are non ML AWD. As you can see from my signature, I am from the northeast and have ML. That required a special order and a 3.5 month wait. Although the 3IS ML system is not the equal of the larger cabined LS reference system, it is significantly better experience than the 3IS base sound system.
After changing the exhaust and intake I seldom listen to the sound system anyway. Just enjoy the engine sounds.......
Old 10-12-14, 11:38 AM
Loe
Pole Position

I would wait for the ML system if that is the one you want, otherwise you'll have to live with it for 3-4 years and thinking "what-if"
Old 10-12-14, 07:42 PM
JSIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Loe
I would wait for the ML system if that is the one you want, otherwise you'll have to live with it for 3-4 years and thinking "what-if"
No doubt the Mark Levinson Sound System would be nice to have, but it's not a deal breaker for me. And since Lexus is writing 27-month leases, that's not a long time to be in a vehicle.

I'm curious if there are any other options I should be looking for when shopping?

Thank you
Old 10-12-14, 07:58 PM
spenceezy
Driver School Candidate

Looks like you're going to have to choose between the ML sound system and the AWD. In my opinion, i would take the AWD over the sound system, strictly because i lean toward performance mods over luxury mods. I have the ML system in my 2015 IS 350 f sport and i love it. My buddy has a 2014 IS 350 f sport and it does not have the ML sound sytem, but it still sounds quite brilliant.
Old 10-12-14, 11:46 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spenceezy
Looks like you're going to have to choose between the ML sound system and the AWD. In my opinion, i would take the AWD over the sound system, strictly because i lean toward performance mods over luxury mods. I have the ML system in my 2015 IS 350 f sport and i love it. My buddy has a 2014 IS 350 f sport and it does not have the ML sound sytem, but it still sounds quite brilliant.
AWD is a performance mod??? I would argue the opposite because the car loses two gears and gains 200 lbs
Old 10-13-14, 03:31 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JSIS350
No doubt the Mark Levinson Sound System be nice to have, but it's not a deal breaker for me. And since Lexus is writing 27-month leases, that's not a long time to be in a vehicle.

I'm curious if there are any other options I should be looking for when shopping?

Thank you
did the standard system sound acceptable to you? if so, then i think you have your answer. Is the one you're looking at a 2014 or 2015? 2015's have more features available on Fsports such as cooled seats and heated steering.
Old 10-13-14, 06:05 AM
JSIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Loe
did the standard system sound acceptable to you? if so, then i think you have your answer. Is the one you're looking at a 2014 or 2015? 2015's have more features available on Fsports such as cooled seats and heated steering.
I will be getting a 2015. I think the car comes pretty well equipped. I would just add some accessories like the rear spoiler, winter mats and cold air intake.

In terms of the AWD, with the winters we've been having in NJ, I need AWD since this car will be my daily driver. AWD will come in more handy then ML!

Thank you for your feedback.
Old 10-13-14, 06:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
AWD is a performance mod??? I would argue the opposite because the car loses two gears and gains 200 lbs
Point taken. However...

If you are defining "performance" in terms of 0-60mph, you may find that AWD models can indeed be faster, as Motor Trend did:

Our long-term F Sport needed 5.6 seconds to hit 60 mph and 14.0 seconds flat to run the quarter-mile, trapping at 99.8 mph. You'll note, though, that this is slower than the IS 350 AWD it replaced in the long-term fleet. That car, with its all-wheel-drive grip, got a much better launch and hit 60 mph in 5.3 seconds on the way to a 13.9-second quarter mile at 99.4 mph.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...port_update_5/
Old 10-13-14, 11:31 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Point taken. However...

If you are defining "performance" in terms of 0-60mph, you may find that AWD models can indeed be faster, as Motor Trend did:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...port_update_5/
Good point but with better tires (michelin pilot ss) rear wheel is faster. 306 hp is not enough power to need awd for (no wheel spin) launches. Two 300hp (reasonably heavy) cars, the extra weight and turning resistance of the AWD mechanism (plus slower shifting 6 speed tranny) will give the victory to the RWD.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 10-14-14 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-14-14, 08:11 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

To be honest, I really wanted the ML system as well, but in terms of bang for your buck, you're able to buy a better system for less money than the ML, but you won't have 15 speakers. If sounds is a huge factor influencing your decision and you can't find an IS350 F-Sport with the ML system, I'd just settle for the regular system, and get different speakers installed.

I was planning to change my speakers when I bought the car, but I'm extremely satisfied with the sound system and probably won't invest in other speakers.
Old 10-14-14, 02:24 PM
cupofjoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Loe
It is much better than the competition's standard system. It is plenty detailed at normal volumes (80-85 db), but will distort in the low end if pushed hard enough (95+ db).

If you like loud, bass-y music, you might want to get the ML or an aftermarket system, otherwise the standard system will be fine.
Old 10-16-14, 06:08 PM
JSIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cupofjoe
It is much better than the competition's standard system. It is plenty detailed at normal volumes (80-85 db), but will distort in the low end if pushed hard enough (95+ db).

If you like loud, bass-y music, you might want to get the ML or an aftermarket system, otherwise the standard system will be fine.
Thanks for the info. I agree, for my needs and tastes, I think the standard system will be fine. My salesman said if I want the ML, I should special order a car. I would prefer not to order a car and to just take one out of their inventory. As I mentioned above, I'm only going to lease it for 27 months, so I can always upgrade to ML after that!
Old 10-18-14, 05:24 PM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't miss this thread. I and others who came from G37 posted things we noticed:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...mpetition.html

Quick Reply: Infiniti G37 to IS350 F-Sport: Need Advice