IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F- sport vs Audi S4 (2014)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 06:20 AM
chuck2417
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 F- sport vs Audi S4 (2014)

Hey guys,

First time posting on this thread, but have been watching for a few months. A little while ago I test drove an IS350 F-sport AWD and was extremly impressed. The looks drew me in, the performance was pretty good and the price was decent. I didn't purchase it as it was missing the options I wanted. Have still been waiting for the dealership to get the right model in. After taking some time to think about it I was glad I didn't purchase right after the test drive. I had an opportunity to drive an Audi S4. Now some magazines will say both of these are competitors, which is not really fair. In Canada a fully equiped f-sport will run around $57,000 before taxes, this Audi was pushing well over $65,000 (almost $70,000). So lets just say comparing these 2 just isn't fair.

However this might suprise you, the Lexus offers more bang for the buck.

Audi S4 - fully loaded (with the A4 the Lexus wins without much trouble)
Pros
- motor feels strong everywhere (no doubt thanks to it's supercharged 3 liter engine)
- dynamic mode is simply amazing (blips the throttle on downshifts, tightens everything up and increases actual engine noise in the cabin - not through speakers)
- dual clutch transmission is very smooth and quick, it doesn't miss a beat
- very classic and nice interior, very busy with buttons around the shifter
- unless you know cars, it just looks like a fully loaded A4 (stealth looks), which can be good or bad depending on taste

Cons
- no heated steering wheel option
- no ventilated seat option
- price, lets be honest for this kind of money you could buy a used Nissan GTR if performance was a deal breaker
- looks, still looks very similar to an A4

IS350 F-sport
Pros
- seats are incredibly comfortable, even more so than the Audi which will look nicer
- LFA inspired gauge (although when that thing breaks I hope it's under warranty)
- price, it's not cheap but compared to an A4, BMW 335 or Mercedes C- class it's priced better
- interior design
- exterior looks (very subjective)
- more standard equipment (aka ventilated seats for 2015, heated steering wheel) - this are important when you live someplace which gets -50 with windchill in the winter and plus 30 in the summer
- looks, while they do stand out at you and it's a love or hate thing (I love them)

Cons
- engine needs some more power (especially when in the same comparison as BMW's twin turbo inline 6)
- dynamic mode or Sport+ is still not as good as the Audi

As you can see, based on my personal biases the S4 isn't any better of a car than the IS350. Granted once you go WOT in the Audi it's hard to stop. However once I took a step back and had time to adjust, I didn't feel like the Audi was worth $10,000 more than the Lexus.

Coming soon; comparing the Q50 sport AWD and Audi S3, possibly even a mercedes C400
- yes no BMW's there, mostly because I just don't like them (I do know they are a great car)

- in the market for a new vehicle and want to make sure before I choose Lexus I am sure
- yes I'm on a Lexus forum so I will be biased

So all you IS350 F-sport owners, you made a good choice. The Audi had more power but the Lexus has less power and less weight! It doesn't feel as fast as the numbers would make you think. The Lexus is more in your face with the styling, while the Audi as always is more discrete.
Old 10-10-14, 06:43 AM
FPerform
Driver

Frankly, I think Audi is hot garbage. I would never touch that brand.
Old 10-10-14, 08:09 AM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The deal breaker for me is the A4 and S4 look so much alike when driving by its hard to tell the difference. Even though there is no was to tell the 250 form the 350 unless you look at the back of the car or if your racing one.
Old 10-10-14, 08:43 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi cars are my favorite looking cars. If they weren't so expensive to maintain, I would have one right now.
Old 10-10-14, 08:52 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best thing that I have seen is my Lexus dealership showed me the internal of the engine of the Audi, there were about 15 chain driven parts internally. If one of those were to go wrong your engine would be done, a broken chain on the inside of a motor can mean a new motor, look at what happens with a dirt bike engine when the can chain throws, it typically comes out the side of the motor. I'll see if I can get the picture
Old 10-10-14, 09:05 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Surely for durability Lexus wins.. Audi for the people who can afford the maintenance and it's headache.
Old 10-10-14, 01:40 PM
IS1911
Driver

It's been said that the greatest thing about owning an Audi is that you get to test drive many other models. I'm referring to the loaner cars they give you while yours is in the shop.

Seriously, Audi's are arguably the least reliable of the German makers and to add insult to injury, they also depreciate the fastest. A friend of mine works for Audi and offered me his company discount. I said, "Thanks but no thanks" and purchased the Lexus.

I purchased the IS 350 AWD (non F-Sport). I was also concerned about that little servo motor that slides the mono gauge over. It's been estimated to be at least $2,000 to replace if/when something goes wrong with it. I actually prefer having the two separate gauges with the LCD display continuously available between them.

If I lived in Northern Canada where the temperatures get to negative numbers on a daily basis I would be wearing gloves and of course other appropriate outerwear. The heated wheel and seats will be nice in the early fall and late spring when temperatures aren't that extreme but in the dead of winter you should dress appropriately and not depend on any of the cars heated features.
Old 10-10-14, 02:06 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've driven both cars and your review is pretty spot on. The S4 was clearly a better drivers car, but it should be given the price. The styling of the S4 is a bit too bland. As far as reliability, I had a 2002 A4 that was garbage. But I've also owned an S3 and RS4, both of which were pretty decent in terms of reliability. I guess it's hit or miss.
Old 10-10-14, 03:19 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

As a general rule Audi's powertrain is rock solid. That 3.0 supercharged engine is a piece of art. This engine is silky smooth and is a monster with tons of torque and hp. It is also very tunable. With simple flash you can extract additional 80-90hp and about the same amount of torque. Not a surprise that this engine has been listed in 10 Ward's best engines. Reasonably efficient and immensely powerful. 8 speed transmission is ZF supplied and it is also highly regarded. Overall the S4 is an awesome machine but it is very expensive and this the single biggest reason I did not purchase S4. Otherwise it was my number one desired vehicle.

As far as the reliability Audis and German cars for that matter have the electrical problems that are mostly likely the major reasons for their badly perceived reliability. They also tend to be more complex in their nature than their Japanese counterparts. So in terms of value and reliability yes 3IS wins here but if you are willing pay higher price and change the cars every 3-4 years get Audi, it is by far more fun car to drive.
Old 10-10-14, 08:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck2417
However this might suprise you, the Lexus offers more bang for the buck.
what an odd thing to say. It's well known
Old 10-10-14, 10:28 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Audi s4 really was a early 2000 m3 competitor. It just never grew up like the m3 did and it really is a 2000 technology in a 2014 body. In performance point of view those early 2000 m3's, s4, and is350 are all in the same catagory. S4 prices are really competing with newer m3's
Old 10-11-14, 11:22 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Audi s4 really was a early 2000 m3 competitor. It just never grew up like the m3 did and it really is a 2000 technology in a 2014 body. In performance point of view those early 2000 m3's, s4, and is350 are all in the same catagory. S4 prices are really competing with newer m3's
I don't think that's true.
The B8 S4 is actually in 335i, Q50, IS350 category leaving the RS4 compete with the M3, C63.
The engine is completely new design with its supercharged DFI V6 while the 2000 S4 runs a V6 Twin turbo (bulletproof V6).
The B8 S4 is the fastest in its class with over 380hp with one of the best AWD system and interior craftsmanship.

BTW, the IS350 was never in the S4, M3 category.
Old 10-11-14, 06:22 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Ok.
That's not what i said.
I said earlier m3 compares to the new is350.
RS4 was created to compete against the newer m3, when s4 should have been the RS4. Prior to s4, a4 had an option for supercharged v6. Now it is replaced with s4. Which is a direct competitor of is350 but with price of new m3. Pretty much a rebadge v6 a4.
Im not arguing the relibility of s4, but in performance point of view is350 and s4 is very similar.

Btw. Your first statement and your last statement is a complete contraditory.

Last edited by jkonquer; 10-11-14 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-11-14, 09:08 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Ok.
That's not what i said.
I said earlier m3 compares to the new is350.
RS4 was created to compete against the newer m3, when s4 should have been the RS4. Prior to s4, a4 had an option for supercharged v6. Now it is replaced with s4. Which is a direct competitor of is350 but with price of new m3. Pretty much a rebadge v6 a4.
Im not arguing the relibility of s4, but in performance point of view is350 and s4 is very similar.

Btw. Your first statement and your last statement is a complete contraditory.
Even the E46 M3 was never comparable to 14+ IS350. It's still more of a performance car than the IS350.
The V6 A4 never have a option of supercharger. I don't know where u have the info.
The A4 has a trim level of 2.0T or V6 3.2 and it went from V6 3.2 to V6 3.0 SC as S4.
The S4 went from a performance category to a trim level so yes it's a rebadged A4 but using a different drivetrain (Engine, Transmissions and torque-vectoring diff).
The S4 runs from 0-60 in less than 5sc and I have never seen a IS350 runs faster than 5.5sec. That's a 10% difference and it ain't similar.

But whatever, I enjoy driving the IS350. Just wish it has S4 level power.
Old 10-13-14, 08:30 AM
chuck2417
Driver School Candidate

The reason for this comparison is many journalists thought that by adding the F sport badge was the same as what Audi did with the S models. This however wasn't the case. And when you compare price the Audi is much pricier.

As for the comment on dressing for the weather... Since you don't live someplace where you experience it then it's really hard to comment on. You always have gloves in your vehicle as well as a few other extra pieces of clothing. I have a heated steering wheel on my vehicle and when you remote start it, the heated seats and steering wheel come on. This makes getting in a lot better. Cold leather does get felt through gloves. Especially ones that have to be small enough so you can use the buttons.

The s4 engine also does have a lot of software tunes as with most forced induction motors. This thread was never meant to start an argument, simply to offer my thoughts on something I have read and seen in many comparisons. I've nevr owned an Audi but yes I've heard once the warranty runs out they are expensive. Same with bmw's and most German vehicles.

Quick Reply: IS350 F- sport vs Audi S4 (2014)