IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

traction light turns on while flooring 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 07:42 AM
itsjdmyo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction light turns on while flooring 1st gear

I just recently bought my IS350 F-Sport (now has about 2kmiles) and the other day while it was about 70 degrees out, at a stop light, i decided to floor it in 1st gear (manual mode) and towards hitting redline (about 6300rpm), the traction light comes on and the transmission automatically shifts up before i even get a chance to fully manually shift myself. So by the time i do get a chance to push the paddle shifter, it would now go into 3rd gear.

I did not turn off my traction control before all this - so that may be the problem but i didn't think it would be an issue becacuse the motor is all stock (aside from JoeZ intake pipe).

Has anybody ever ran into this issue? If so, did simply turning the traction off allow the for full usage of 1st gear before needing to upshift? Thanks.
Old 10-06-14, 10:32 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, happens to me every now and then. its the tires, OEM tires aren't the best when it comes to traction. I can do it in eco-mode if its warm enough.

You're not alone on this.
Old 10-06-14, 01:41 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Regarding the shifting...

The "manual" mode in the IS isn't really a true manual mode - the car will auto-up-shift for you once you get up to redline.

You can read this topic (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nual-mode.html) that I commented heavily in because this was such a frustrating thing for me. If you ever decide to track this car, you'll anguish in pain with this auto-up shift "feature" in both D (automatic) and M (manual).

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-06-14, 02:11 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Regarding the shifting...

The "manual" mode in the IS isn't really a true manual mode - the car will auto-up-shift for you once you get up to redline.

You can read this topic (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nual-mode.html) that I commented heavily in because this was such a frustrating thing for me. If you ever decide to track this car, you'll anguish in pain with this auto-up shift "feature" in both D (automatic) and M (manual).

~ Im2bz2p345
It is pretty annoying at times. Though it is not ideal to stress the engine with the rev limiter, even though it exists for protection purposes, I'd love to hear that car hit the limit ~5 clicks.

They should just name the M mode to Aggressive D mode.
Old 10-06-14, 02:55 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you put it actual manual mode (pulling the shifter to the left when in drive), or did you just use your paddles to activate the Manual Mode? I remember at one dealer I was told I could shift right in to manual when I was driving, but when I did, as soon as I sped up, or slowed down, the car would go back to shifting on its own unless I pulled the shifter to the left and actually engaged it in to "Full Manual".
Old 10-06-14, 03:52 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hermes
Did you put it actual manual mode (pulling the shifter to the left when in drive), or did you just use your paddles to activate the Manual Mode? I remember at one dealer I was told I could shift right in to manual when I was driving, but when I did, as soon as I sped up, or slowed down, the car would go back to shifting on its own unless I pulled the shifter to the left and actually engaged it in to "Full Manual".
From my understanding and experience, the only true manual w/paddle car that lexus makes is the LFA. The IS-F and 250/350F just have the paddles to have fun with. But when the car is in regular mode and you use the paddles to shift, if will shift for you after a certain RPM.

But in manual mode you can redline it, but if you don't shift, it will shift for you to avoid damaging the motor.
Old 10-07-14, 01:02 PM
Skillet83
Driver School Candidate

If while in "Park" you hold the traction control button for 3 seconds or so (you'll know bc a new light will come on the dash)... i believe it disables the auto-upshift. Don't have my car to test it at the moment (getting a few blemishes fixed) but I believe I read it on the forums.
Old 10-07-14, 01:09 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skillet83
If while in "Park" you hold the traction control button for 3 seconds or so (you'll know bc a new light will come on the dash)... i believe it disables the auto-upshift. Don't have my car to test it at the moment (getting a few blemishes fixed) but I believe I read it on the forums.
You don't have to be in "P". Just need the car to be in a complete full stop. I've hit the rev limits on first gear on this setting but I can't remember or confirm that it didn't automatically shifted up since I got scared when it hit the limit and I was burning out the tires. *screeeeeeech*
Old 10-07-14, 03:30 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ255t
From my understanding and experience, the only true manual w/paddle car that lexus makes is the LFA. The IS-F and 250/350F just have the paddles to have fun with. But when the car is in regular mode and you use the paddles to shift, if will shift for you after a certain RPM.

But in manual mode you can redline it, but if you don't shift, it will shift for you to avoid damaging the motor.
so, you've driven an isf in manual, hit the rev limiter and it shifted for you? LOL then that particular car you drove has something seriously wrong w/ it. in manual/sport, you can keep it in gear and hit the rev limiter all day long.
Old 10-08-14, 09:25 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cremaster
so, you've driven an isf in manual, hit the rev limiter and it shifted for you? LOL then that particular car you drove has something seriously wrong w/ it. in manual/sport, you can keep it in gear and hit the rev limiter all day long.
that's only when the car isn't in manual mode. I had the car is in D, and not in manual mode.
Old 10-08-14, 09:48 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

that's only when the car isn't in manual mode. I had the car is in D, and not in manual mode.
hey bud, re-read what you originally wrote. you claimed by your "experience," i.e. having driven an LFA, IS-F, 2IS, that the latter two do not offer "true manual" modes; that the paddles are "just for fun." that in "manual" if you hit redline, that the car will automatially shift to the next gear for you. that is COMPLETELY INCORRECT. at least for the IS-F. and of course in auto mode it's going to shift for you. bc it's an AUTOMATIC. LOL
Old 10-08-14, 09:55 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cremaster
hey bud, re-read what you originally wrote. you claimed by your "experience," i.e. having driven an LFA, IS-F, 2IS, that the latter two do not offer "true manual" modes; that the paddles are "just for fun." that in "manual" if you hit redline, that the car will automatially shift to the next gear for you. that is COMPLETELY INCORRECT. at least for the IS-F. and of course in auto mode it's going to shift for you. bc it's an AUTOMATIC. LOL
I know, what im saying is..if you drive the car normally and not in manual mode and you use the paddles to shift it will also sometimes shift for you if you redline it. now in manual mode of course you have to shift yourself.
Old 10-08-14, 09:57 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

like I said, in manual mode you can redline but if you don't shift, it will shift for you...this I was referring to the 3IS, not the IS-F.

I should probably learn how to phrase things. Sorry.
Old 10-09-14, 09:43 PM
TJKASS
Driver School Candidate

Like was mentioned before, the auto-upshift feature can be disabled on most 3IS by holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds while fully stopped. This will completely disable TCS and VSC function however so please keep that in mind too. Pressing the traction control button again will turn the features back on.
Old 10-10-14, 03:03 PM
Loe
Pole Position

when I hold the trac off button to fully disable the system at a complete stop, it'll hold the gears and bounce off the rev limiter (tried it twice during my test drive of a demo F-sport because I was too slow to hit the upshift paddle) and will try it on mine when I pass the breakin period.

Quick Reply: traction light turns on while flooring 1st gear