IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

does aftermarket cold air intake void any warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 10:53 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes
In most manuals these days you'll find something that says:

“This is your car and the data belongs to you. Unless the cops ask for it. Or in case you decide to sue us.” regarding the EDR/Black boxes.

We own the data, and a dealership may not legally access that data without our permission, or a court order, which I highly doubt they would do. Should they access the data without our consent or a court order, there would be legal repercussions.

So weather you swap out after market parts or not, the dealership would have no idea.
"Black box" data is a specific set of parameters set aside for pre-crash and crash data, and are formatted in a way that are designed to be dumped to special tools (sets of hardware and software) that are used to retrieve the data. The CDR system (like the one here: http://www.cdr-system.com) is one such system.

When you see disclaimers about crash data retrieval, this is what they are referring to Pre-crash and deployment data, specifically, as retrieved by these systems.

This specific set of parameters has absolutely nothing to do with the diagnostic information in the vehicles computers that the dealership uses for it's own service diagnostics - those greatly exceed the information requirements of the NHTSA referenced above.

I managed the development of embedded systems for automobile diagnostics for over 6 years.

You can believe me or not, but I'm telling you the amount of data they can grab, legally, from your vehicle would make the hair in your ears tingle, without ever touching the NHTSA specific data mentioned above. Whether they do or not will depend on how threatened they feel, legally. Remember they are out to sell cars, not make enemies. Don't abuse their warranty and you have little to worry about.

Last edited by dasbuch; 10-15-14 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-16-14, 01:37 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dasbuch
"Black box" data is a specific set of parameters set aside for pre-crash and crash data, and are formatted in a way that are designed to be dumped to special tools (sets of hardware and software) that are used to retrieve the data. The CDR system (like the one here: http://www.cdr-system.com) is one such system.

When you see disclaimers about crash data retrieval, this is what they are referring to Pre-crash and deployment data, specifically, as retrieved by these systems.

This specific set of parameters has absolutely nothing to do with the diagnostic information in the vehicles computers that the dealership uses for it's own service diagnostics - those greatly exceed the information requirements of the NHTSA referenced above.

I managed the development of embedded systems for automobile diagnostics for over 6 years.

You can believe me or not, but I'm telling you the amount of data they can grab, legally, from your vehicle would make the hair in your ears tingle, without ever touching the NHTSA specific data mentioned above. Whether they do or not will depend on how threatened they feel, legally. Remember they are out to sell cars, not make enemies. Don't abuse their warranty and you have little to worry about.
I believe you without a doubt, I've often thought about how much information they can really attain through all the computers in vehicles these days.

I was just posting some information I had found, I don't plan on fighting the the dealer for warranty work, especially as my dealer is very understanding and doesn't really care about after market intakes/exhausts. They're pretty good.

Thank you for posting this info though, I appreciate it.