IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

does aftermarket cold air intake void any warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 01:09 PM
simon3huna
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up does aftermarket cold air intake void any warranty?

hey guys, just got my AFE cold air intake for my 2014 is350 awd. Does anybody know if it influences the original warranty? i also got the ARK performance grip exhaust, i shouldn't worry about that either right?
Old 10-04-14, 02:08 PM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

depends on the dealership, they say that any altering can change the warranty... some dealerships say that bolt on's do not change the warranty...
Old 10-05-14, 12:24 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVMarkus
depends on the dealership, they say that any altering can change the warranty... some dealerships say that bolt on's do not change the warranty...
Exactly like NVMarkus said, it all depends on the dealer, and it also depends on your service adviser. When I talked to my service advisor about it, he told me to stay away from the older service advisers because many of them are a little more strict, and have an old-school mentality. I asked him about the Lexus intake, and he said it would never be a problem with him, but some of the stingy old service advisors may make an issue out of it.
Old 10-05-14, 07:37 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Like all warranties, any modification has to been proven to be the cause of the failure

You: My window stopped working.
Mfr: It's because of the aftermarket exhaust.
You: Huh?!
The following users liked this post:
hsmooth21 (09-25-20)
Old 10-06-14, 09:43 AM
simon3huna
Rookie

yeah i know what you mean. hopefully i don't come across any bs like that.

i think as long as the part doesn't cause any problems by it self they shouldn't void any type of warranty. only in the case they can trace the problem directly to the intake of exhaust than it makes sense for to blame it on that.
Old 10-06-14, 10:02 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just slap the stock intake and exhaust when **** happens before you bring it to the dealership. I asked it before and they said they have to check what it does to the overall car value, but if you bought the aftermarket stuff from the dealer ship (F Sport intake/exhaust), then you'll be in good shape. They are good products but the price tag is hot.
Old 10-06-14, 10:14 AM
dasbuch
Driver

I'm curious how many folks here are involved with or have experience with product engineering, testing, support etc.

The issue is that support costs money. When you produce a product at a given price point, you can never promise ongoing and free of cost support, there must be some reasonable constraints. One of those constraints of course is time/mileage of a vehicle, but the other constraint is offering support within factory-tested configurations. Parts that are specifically selected/designed to work together, and which have very clearly documented procedures for repair/replace when something goes wrong. Once a customer starts modifying that configuration, all bets are off with regard to potential support cost. A part that creates a small change in one area of the system might result in more changes in other parts of the system over the long term. Even something as seemingly innocent as a custom air filter can cause changes in readings in the onboard electronics that cause instruction parameter changes in the vehicles computer system which can have adverse effects elsewhere. The modification might not have any adverse effect, and surely many mods will be fine, but the point is that it's still a deviation from the shipped configuration, and the dealer should have no obligation to support post-production changes.

Bottom line is that if you're concerned about warranty (and most people probably are on something they spend this much money on), you're better off not modifying. If you're not happy with the factory options, why buy the car in the first place? Choosing a vehicle is a precious freedom and a privilege, why screw it up by buying anything other than what you really want? It won't be perfect, but it won't be perfect after a bunch of mods are thrown at it either. If you want something completely custom, buy an older used car that's no longer under warranty and hack it up all day long. It doesn't make much sense to me to go out and buy a 40 or 50 thousand dollar vehicle then spend more money trying to make it different than everyone else's or to try to squeeze a little more performance out of it. I'd say buy the car and start modifying after the warranty has expired anyway if that's your thing.
Old 10-06-14, 10:36 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
...If you want something completely custom, buy an older used car that's no longer under warranty and hack it up all day long... ...I'd say buy the car and start modifying after the warranty has expired anyway if that's your thing...

That is the way to do it. I have the IS350 F Sport which will be stock for at least 5 years and an EP3 currently in a building phase.
Old 10-06-14, 12:52 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

stock intake is already cold air. FYI
Old 10-06-14, 02:53 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vbx
stock intake is already cold air. FYI
Are you sure? I thought it was just a regular intake, I see that it takes in air right under the front of the hood but behind the grill.
Old 10-06-14, 10:59 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hermes
Are you sure? I thought it was just a regular intake, I see that it takes in air right under the front of the hood but behind the grill.
And cold air goes into the front of the hood behind the grill..... Look at all the plastic covering protecting the intake from the hot air.

Where does the cold- air intake grabs the air? behind the headlight? lol Also, most cold air intake is made of metal. Ever touch a metal object sitting in the sun or under the hood? It gets hot to the touch.

Plastic not so much.
Old 10-07-14, 01:20 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vbx
And cold air goes into the front of the hood behind the grill..... Look at all the plastic covering protecting the intake from the hot air.

Where does the cold- air intake grabs the air? behind the headlight? lol Also, most cold air intake is made of metal. Ever touch a metal object sitting in the sun or under the hood? It gets hot to the touch.

Plastic not so much.
Most CAI I have seen were at the bottom of the bumper near the wheel well, or behind the bumped near the bottom, not just behind the bumper...
Old 10-07-14, 02:57 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Most CAI I have seen were at the bottom of the bumper near the wheel well, or behind the bumped near the bottom, not just behind the bumper...
I keep waiting for someone to manufacture a cold air set up using the holes in the bumper of the F Sport where everyone installs the fog lights.
Old 10-07-14, 08:39 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry96815
I keep waiting for someone to manufacture a cold air set up using the holes in the bumper of the F Sport where everyone installs the fog lights.
That would be a great idea, but I think those holes are what cools down our brakes. I wonder if it would have an effect on the brake cooling.
Old 10-07-14, 10:12 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

That would be a great idea, but I think those holes are what cools down our brakes. I wonder if it would have an effect on the brake cooling.
Wrong holes. Two holes cool brakes, two do nothing. Lexus even makes a fog light kit to mount in those two holes. Use those holes for CAI instead of fog lights. Look close and you will see they already have a small hole far back inside. I sent an e-mail to Lexus and they stated they were there for looks only.

Aloha,
Larry

Quick Reply: does aftermarket cold air intake void any warranty?