IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can't get Homelink to blink fast....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 10:53 AM
997c2
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't get Homelink to blink fast....

I've been searching for about an hour and trying everyone's solutions to no avail.
My garage opener is newer Liftmaster. I've tried a bunch of different combinations of holding buttons, etc, etc, and cannot get the red light on the rear view mirror to start blinking fast ( the "learn" part of the process). Anybody else fighting this and have a suggestion? (I'm reading about repeaters from Liftmaster..)
Old 10-01-14, 10:58 AM
FPerform
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always go to Homelink's site for tips.

I had the issue. Tried it without doing the "learn" process, didn't work. So I pressed the "learn" button and held the homelink button for three seconds at a time until it finally got the signal. Mind you, after pressing the "learn" button you need to press the homelink button in your car within 10-15 seconds.
Old 10-01-14, 11:01 AM
Machog
Driver

I had to erase the memory on my Lex twice before Homelink would accept a new device.

Best way is to get in the garage with your cell phone and an earpiece and call Homelink direct, they'll talk you through it, or they did with me.

Machog
Old 10-01-14, 11:30 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, sometimes you have to reset the cars homelink and start fresh.

I've had good luck with the below, worth a try...

In brief use the Lexus manual for programming the transmitter in the car and use the garage door manual for programming the car to the door.

What I did:

1) Hold buttons 1 and 3 for 10 seconds to reset device
2) Open garage door with current door transmitter.
3) Drive a couple of blocks away (so the transmitter will not reach the door) and program a button on your mirror using the Lexus manual instructions
4) Then go back home and follow the door opener manual instructions (basically push the button on the back of the door opener then go to car and push the button on your mirror that you already programmed til the door opener light blinks)
5) Your done.

Good Luck
TripleL
Old 10-01-14, 12:10 PM
997c2
Driver

Thanks all. Good suggestions. I'll try them out!
Old 10-01-14, 01:55 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

agreed, you need to clear out the old codes and reset the homelink first before programming new ones.
Old 10-02-14, 09:37 AM
997c2
Driver

Dang, nothing works. Twice on the phone with Homelink, they gave up and said "go to the Lexus dealer". I tried all of your recommended tricks but can't get the car to link with my garage remote. Guess it's to Lexus now.
Old 10-02-14, 10:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

How to set up Homelink

Non Rolling Code Garage Doors:
1. Park the car in the driveway.
2. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button you want to program.
3. Press and hold both the garage door remote and the Homelink button until the red light rapidly flashes then release both buttons.
4. Test your newly programed Homelink button to ensure it opens the garage door. If door opens congrats! If not proceed to step 5.
5. Wipe out your Homelink system to start clean slate. Hold the first and third Homelink buttons until the red light rapidly flashes.
6. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button and press and hold. While holding the Homelink button, press and release the garage door remote in full one second intervals until the garage door opens or closes depending on whether the garage door were already opened or closed.

Rolling Code Garage Doors:
1. Park the car in the driveway
2. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button you want to program.
3. Press and hold both the garage door remote and the Homelink button until the red light rapidly flashes then release both buttons.
4. Grab a step stool or ladder and locate the trainer/testing button on the garage door motor (the unit on the ceiling). Press this button once. You have 30 seconds to get back to the car
5. On the Homelink button you programmed earlier, press and release, press and release and press and hold on the third time. (For each press and release, do so for full one second intervals).
6. The light on the garage door motor should go off/on and then immediately open or close the garage door depending on whether the garage door were already opened or closed.
7. Congrats, you Homelink should now be set. If the Homelink button does not open/close the garage. Press the tester/training button once more on the garage door motor and “Press and Release” the Homelink button until the garage door opens or closes.

If you still can't get it to work, because you have the latest garage door motor, you may need a $30 'Repeater'
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-03-14, 03:57 AM
997c2
Driver

Thanks Hoovey. Unfortunately this is where I started, but doesn't work. I think I'll try the repeater route.
Old 10-04-14, 11:18 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kind of have the same problem but only with one of my two garage doors. My two garage openers in my double garage are identical make and model but I can't get the right side opener programmed to any of my 3 Homelink buttons in my IS. The left garage opener programs and works just fine with Homelink. I even went out and bought a new Genie opener remote and tried to program Homelink again. No avail. I'm pretty sure there's an issue with the right side opener as I've never been able to program Homelink to it from ANY vehicle; not just with my IS. I couldn't get it working with Homelink buttons in a Camry Hybrid or a Prius, both with Homelink built in.

I gave up, just use the first Homelink button in my IS for the left garage door and the new Genie remote that I have clipped to my sun visor for the right.
Old 10-04-14, 06:30 PM
Hoovey689

^ when retrying you made sure to clear the car's homelink correct? If not the failed code is still stored. Unfortunately this means you'll have to re-pair all the doors to the car if you clear it though. Hold 1 and 3 homelink buttons for 30sec or until rapidly flashing light
Old 10-04-14, 07:04 PM
997c2
Driver

Yep, I've done the "clear any stored codes" thing a dozen times. Getting nowhere. Probably my opener.
Old 10-05-14, 01:54 PM
ancpratt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've cleared my Homelink buttons a few times as well but still have had no luck in getting my second garage door opener programmed to one of the buttons. When going through the process of programming, it all seems to be working perfectly as the lights flash the way they should during the learning steps etc. When programming steps have been done, pressing the assigned Homelink buttion fails every time to open the door.
Old 10-05-14, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689

Assuming yours is a rolling code, after you've pressed the transmit signal button on the motor itself and you go back to the car, once you press your homelink button, release, press a second time the overhead light on the garage door motor should turn off. This is an excellent indication that the next time you press the homelink (third press) that the garage door should go up or down. If this fails then look into the $30 repeater kit.
Old 10-05-14, 06:30 PM
sumohax0r
Rookie

I've seen these crazy instructions and pairing my garage was super easy. all I did was hold the button I wanted to program till it started flashing, then I held my garage door opener up to the mirror and held the button.

After around 5 seconds it stopped flashing and I just pressed the button and it opened and closed my garage door for 6 months now no issue. I didn't have to touch anything inside my garage.

Quick Reply: Can't get Homelink to blink fast....