IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 01:29 AM
stush7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe when they say dealer installed they are taking it to a third party tint shop, or have him come to the dealer to install the tint. When I was buying my car the dealer had that option and they told me that's what they do. I did the 3M Crystalline 20% all around and have been happy with the results so far. keeps it fairly dark and cool on hot days. I also did the front windshield as well a few weeks after and it helped block most of the heat when parked outside.
Old 10-13-14, 05:40 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$300 is pricey for tint, the guy that probably does the tint at the dealer does it for cheaper on his own because you are not getting charged twice, once by the tinter and once by the dealer.
I have legal 35% on front windows and limo on the rear, I see fine, I dont have to look out the back windows when I am driving at night though...
I also have some on windshield but you have to do that under the table... I really dont like people being able to see into my car.

Old 10-13-14, 08:30 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stush7
I do believe when they say dealer installed they are taking it to a third party tint shop, or have him come to the dealer to install the tint. When I was buying my car the dealer had that option and they told me that's what they do. I did the 3M Crystalline 20% all around and have been happy with the results so far. keeps it fairly dark and cool on hot days. I also did the front windshield as well a few weeks after and it helped block most of the heat when parked outside.
I'm sorry but they lied to you. Crystalline doesn't have 20%.
Old 10-13-14, 09:05 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
I think this is correct. My tinter deals 3M crystalline and the lowest they have is 40%? They are pretty pricey, quoted at $800 for all except wind shield. I'm going to settle with SunTek $380 all around ($500 with windshield). The difference between the two are the looks and about 6% heat rejection. I don't think I'm down to spend $500 extra for +6% heat rejection.
Old 10-13-14, 09:28 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drbazing
I think this is correct. My tinter deals 3M crystalline and the lowest they have is 40%? They are pretty pricey, quoted at $800 for all except wind shield. I'm going to settle with SunTek $380 all around ($500 with windshield). The difference between the two are the looks and about 6% heat rejection. I don't think I'm down to spend $500 extra for +6% heat rejection.
Yea, the lowest crystalline offers is 40%. . I got the suntek cxp as well because I also didn't wanna spend a few hundred more on the crystalline. I didn't get my windshield tinted though. My tint guy said if you don't tint your windshield, the crystalline isn't that much better than the cxp since all the heat will still come in from there
Old 10-13-14, 09:38 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tea
Yea, the lowest crystalline offers is 40%. . I got the suntek cxp as well because I also didn't wanna spend a few hundred more on the crystalline. I didn't get my windshield tinted though. My tint guy said if you don't tint your windshield, the crystalline isn't that much better than the cxp since all the heat will still come in from there
I feel like we are talking about the same guy, because those are the exact words I got from him. SD? Maybe that's just common knowledge between good tinters, haha. Anyways, maybe I should just pass on the cxp for the windshield and have a crystalline installed on it instead and have the rest on cxp.
Old 10-13-14, 10:06 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

I feel like we are talking about the same guy, because those are the exact words I got from him. SD? Maybe that's just common knowledge between good tinters, haha. Anyways, maybe I should just pass on the cxp for the windshield and have a crystalline installed on it instead and have the rest on cxp.
I heard air blue 80 is popular for the windshield and offers pretty good heat rejection. Cxp is also a good option. And of course, crystalline is always a good option. I think it's about $250-300 just for the windshield with Crystalline
Old 10-13-14, 10:38 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tea
I heard air blue 80 is popular for the windshield and offers pretty good heat rejection. Cxp is also a good option. And of course, crystalline is always a good option. I think it's about $250-300 just for the windshield with Crystalline
That's about right, but if you buy it as a package for the whole car, it goes as low as $200. Never heard of air blue 80. I have the windshield reflector for when I park the car. More work for me in the morning but it'll do until I get it tinted.

If you don't mind, can you send me pictures of your cxp tint at different angles? I wanna see if there are glares or reflections at certain angles. Also what % of tint did you get? I wanna see what shade I should get without hiding my Rioja Red interior.
Old 10-13-14, 01:42 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

That's about right, but if you buy it as a package for the whole car, it goes as low as $200. Never heard of air blue 80. I have the windshield reflector for when I park the car. More work for me in the morning but it'll do until I get it tinted.

If you don't mind, can you send me pictures of your cxp tint at different angles? I wanna see if there are glares or reflections at certain angles. Also what % of tint did you get? I wanna see what shade I should get without hiding my Rioja Red interior.
I got 45% on all my windows, not including windshield. It's a little darker than I would have liked, but I think the 55% would be too light. I'd probably go with the 55 if I can redo them. I have black interior so it makes it look darker than it actually is. I'll try to get some pics to you when I get home from work
Old 10-13-14, 01:55 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tea
I got 45% on all my windows, not including windshield. It's a little darker than I would have liked, but I think the 55% would be too light. I'd probably go with the 55 if I can redo them. I have black interior so it makes it look darker than it actually is. I'll try to get some pics to you when I get home from work
Sounds good. Try to put something with color inside the car, preferably closer to Red. I'd appreciated it. Just want to see how much can be seen through it. I was shown a 15% and you can still see the interior color from far away but that was indoor and I don't know what difference it could have by being outdoors.
Old 10-13-14, 02:02 PM
tbucs
Driver School Candidate

Anyone live in the Tampa area that knows a good place to get my windows tinted?
Old 10-13-14, 02:16 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds good. Try to put something with color inside the car, preferably closer to Red. I'd appreciated it. Just want to see how much can be seen through it. I was shown a 15% and you can still see the interior color from far away but that was indoor and I don't know what difference it could have by being outdoors.
You can see through 15%? That'd pretty dark, especially indoors. The cxp tint itself is pretty black, so it washes out any color you see through the windows. I'm actually wearing a red shirt today but there's no way I can take a picture of myself in my car from the outside lol
Old 10-13-14, 02:49 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by gvan1998
First of all, there are no factory tints. you mean dealer tints. I have Suntek CXP, looks great and great heat rejection. I think I paid like 285 installed.
I question this price, you did the all windows or just windshield ? Because that's dirt cheap, grab the shops heat meter in the sun and see if in fact it's what you payed for. If so then wow great price. A lot of these shops pull fast ones on customers cause its so easy to do so.
Old 10-13-14, 10:35 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a few pics I had on my phone. Wasn't able to get any pics with any red inside since it was already dark when I got home.
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-img_20140715_180329.jpg   Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-img_20140703_142129.jpg   Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-img_20140703_142136.jpg  
Old 10-14-14, 12:58 AM
stush7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tea
You know what you are correct. I did the 3M but didn't go with the Crystalline since it was really light. But they tried to sell me on that but didn't get it. My apologies

Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!