IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why did you choose the IS over the competition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 07:55 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Reliability was the top reason for choosing the IS. Love the value, F Sport styling, AWD, and overall refinement.

I had an E90 BMW 335 and loved it ... when it was running. The new F30's just do not appeal to me - they are larger & softer, not to mention much more expensive.

The Audi S4 was a close second choice. The power, styling and quattro were definite pros. Just could not get over the $60K+ total option price and the need for snow / all season tires as it came with summer performance tires.
Old 03-19-15, 08:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

For me, the real choice was between the 335 and the IS350. The 6 speed manual was pulling me towards BMW, yet reliability was pulling me towards the IS, so it was nearly a draw. The final push was that my Lexus dealer was treating me wonderfully and willing to do what it takes, while the BMW salesman didn't return my calls or emails to set up an appointment for a second drive. Voila. IS in the driveway. A year and a half later, no looking back.
Old 03-20-15, 10:00 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I could honestly write a whole review but figured I'd make it simple. I've owned 3 Toyota Camrys and have always wanted a Lexus IS. I've studied into the Audi, Infinity, BMW, Acura, etc but I feel Lexus is it's own class of luxury and reliability. But more so, I would like to keep this car for more than 5 years. If I was only keeping her for 3 I might have considered the latter.
Old 03-21-15, 06:44 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
For me, the real choice was between the 335 and the IS350. The 6 speed manual was pulling me towards BMW, yet reliability was pulling me towards the IS, so it was nearly a draw. The final push was that my Lexus dealer was treating me wonderfully and willing to do what it takes, while the BMW salesman didn't return my calls or emails to set up an appointment for a second drive. Voila. IS in the driveway. A year and a half later, no looking back.
Me too, but damn, it would be nice to have a manual. A buddy of mine just bought a Ford Focus ST, and I was a bit jealous, watching him shift.
Old 03-21-15, 07:17 PM
jbee21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
Me too, but damn, it would be nice to have a manual. A buddy of mine just bought a Ford Focus ST, and I was a bit jealous, watching him shift.
Wow a Ford Focus... surprised he even let you watch him shift in a vehicle of that class.
Old 03-21-15, 07:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jbee21
Wow a Ford Focus... surprised he even let you watch him shift in a vehicle of that class.
That little Focus is about as fast as the IS350. Hahaha
Old 03-21-15, 07:53 PM
Monoshock
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The drive

Replacing an 08 TL, while waiting for the TLX and being disappointed, test drove the IS 350. Right out of the lot I knew this was it. Accelerating onto the highway and taking the turnaround confirmed. Done.

I do want to put in a jab on BMW. Wife has an X5, and have driven many 328's and a 335 loaner. The X5 has taught us that BMW's are over engineered and not to be trusted away from your home town. And the 3's are simply overpriced. IS has more for 10-15k less, and won't have you calling for the flatbed on the side of the road.
Old 03-22-15, 09:16 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
these were my two finalists as well. that's unfortunate that bmw treated you that way. my bmw dealer kept blowing up my phone! not that it's a bad thing cause they wanted the sale, but at least they showed interest in me buying from them. i talked to a couple of friends that lived the bimmer life and they all said the same thing, if i'm going to keep the car, go with the lexus. they all said that after the warranty expires on the bimmer, it's going to cost grip! i've had an '03 is300 til yesterday and it did me well so i know about toyota/lexus reliability. happy with my choice!
Old 03-22-15, 11:17 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Monoshock
Replacing an 08 TL, while waiting for the TLX and being disappointed, test drove the IS 350. Right out of the lot I knew this was it. Accelerating onto the highway and taking the turnaround confirmed. Done.
Well, I have owned 2 TSX, 1 TL (SH-AWD), 1 RDX and 1 ILX - I too was hoping to get the TLX but after being disappointed with its transmission problems and somewhat laggy throttle response has pushed me in the arms of Lexus - IS350 F sport coming soon to a driveway near me.
Old 03-22-15, 01:40 PM
glo6035
Rookie

Cause once saw and drove the car thought it was legit as F
Old 03-22-15, 06:36 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I replaced my beloved BMW E46 330i sport with the IS350. After test driving the competition, I decided on either the BMW 428i or the IS350. (I was not impressed with the 3 series; 4 series had a slightly better chassis. Did not select the 435i because the 428i had more than enough power and gave better mileage). Loved the 3IS chassis, seating position, smooth normally aspirated engine, interior styling and looks. Lexus called first with an excellent deal. During the 12 years of ownership, my E46 was an extremely reliable car and the dealer service outstanding. The Lexus reliability is without question. I hope thei service is as good as BMW's.

Last edited by Savjam; 03-22-15 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 08:30 PM
oddseth
Driver School Candidate

Default Best Vs Competition

My previous car was a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Spec.B that I had attempted to modify for light track duty and as very sporty daily drive and succeeded at all but the daily driving part. The car had STI pink lowering springs with Bilstien HD shocks/struts, an STI short throw shifter, underbody structural upgrades, thicker anti-sway bars/end links, and adjustable camber bolts. On the power side, I had replaced the downpipe with one that had a high-flow cat and reflashed the ECU with a Cobb accessport to a stage 2+ tune. It was a wizard on the track as Subaru's brilliant 4WD system, combined with excellent suspension/alignment tuning from Mach V motorsports (the adjustable camber bolts allowed for a setup with great turnin and moderate oversteer) and excellent power/torque delivery but unfortunately the stiff ride made it a kidney pulveriser on the horrible streets in the Washington DC area.

I loved that car dearly (and hope to own another track-ready Subaru someday) but knew that I needed something a little bit nicer and more comfortable for work and at 100K miles with lots of mods, I was concerned that the Subie would start to cost me some money to keep on the road. It was extremely difficult for me to find a car that felt right as I was looking for something that can be both sporty and elegant. I drove many different luxury vehicles and when I got back in the Subie, I always thought, this car is so much better and more enjoyable to drive, why am I looking for a new one? This happened with the ATS 2.0T which was surprisingly good but still a bit rough around the edges with little rear leg and trunk space (I like sedans because of their practicality and the ATS has little) as well as the A4, which has the great 2.0T engine but its sportiest settings left me feeling way underwhelmed.

I drove a fully loaded 335 M-Sport and loved (I drifted it nicely around an empty traffic circle in Sport+ mode and made the sales guy **** his pants) it but it stickered in at just over $60K, which to me is way too much to spend on a BMW without an 'M' in front of its name. I never drove the S4 as with basic options and nav, it comes in at around the same price as the loaded 335.

My finalists came down to the 328 M-Sport, Q50S, and 350IS F-Sport, all in RWD favor since I could get any of these decently loaded for just under $50K. The engine in the 328 is great and is the only one on my list with a 6MT (which I really wanted to keep) but unless thrashing the car around and have it set in Sport+ mode, it really felt like just like an ordinary car and nothing like the E46s I used to enjoy when I was younger. And then there is the value proposition: in an effort to match competitor pricing, the Germans strip their vehicles of basic features that are standard on subcompacts (keless go/pushbutton start, bluetooth connectivity, etc.) and you wind up having to pay for $15K+ in options to get a sporty chassis with decent tech capabilities. It blows my mind that one of my best mates spent $50K on a Q5 that doesn't even have Nav, streaming bluetooth audio, or keyless go.

So for the price of a 4 cylinder 3er (albeit with a great turbo engine), I could have a 300+hp v6 in the IS and Q50 and every option I wanted. While I would normally prefer a turbo 4 due to their tunability and fatter torque band, it felt foolish to pay nearly $50K for a 4-banger and since I was planning on leasing the car as a fun and sporty business car, I had no intentions of any modifications. Not to mention, the high residual values of the Infiniti and Lexus allow for significantly better lease deals and discounts. Comparing the three cars, all with sticker prices around $48K and a $5K down payment, I was able to get the Infiniti and Lexus down to $350 per month but couldn't get much below $500 on the 328.

At the end of the day, the IS was the sportiest of the lot and aside from the BMW in sport+ mode, has the best electronic assisted steering I have ever experienced, even when not in sport+ mode. While the BMW's Sport+ mode had a very sight edge (both in steering and suspension tuning), the Lex felt better in every other mode and was far superior to the oddly numb fully electric steering rack in the Q50S. The exterior and interior dimensions of all three cars seemed very good for the size of the car and were nearly the same as the Subie in all dimensions.

The IS, in my opinion, is the king by far in the looks department (in F-Sport trim) and looks more like a concept super sedan than a sport luxury midsizer. All of the other vehicles in this class have become pretty tame in my opinion and even the 3er M-Sport still looks like a regular sedan with a body kit. Lexus really took a risk on the design of the current IS F-Sport and it paid off as this car looks leaps and bounds more futuristic and awesome than nearly anything else on the road with 4 doors and a price tag south of $70K. And then there is the interior, which is an awesome retro-futuristic throwback to the cubist and digital interiors of the 80's and I love it!
Old 03-22-15, 09:00 PM
CouchRider
Driver School Candidate

I just joined the club today! 2015 IS 250 AWD.

Beating a dead horse here - I'm the type who wants the option to keep a car for as long as possible. There's simply nothing else on the market with Lexus' reliability.

But here's something else: I love, love how smooth and quiet this car is. I'm coming out of a Civic Si, and I must be getting old because the engine noise and the stiff suspension was wearing me down. I was in the market for a new car and I tried the IS on a whim. I'll be honest, I never thought luxury cars were worth the price tag - I mean, a car's a car right? Holy *****, I have never driven something so luxurious. The seats fit me like a well-worn baseball glove, and the ride was impeccably comfortable while still gripping the road with tenacity. Steering feel was calibrated well and all the pedals were very responsive. I love my manuals, but this automatic is dialed in and loves to downshift.

I used to be like "yeah, who wants to drive a couch" But sign me up, cause this couch is 10x better than what I got at home haha.

Last edited by CouchRider; 03-22-15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 11:26 AM
nabizzy
Rookie

Reliability is the main reason I chose this car
followed by f sport looks and gauges, and the car felt fun when i drove it

Looking back, I wish I had driven an s4/s3 and maybe a 335i. When the IS300T comes out I will likely upgrade, and at that time I will cross shop.

Lexus of North Houston also had some great prices on additional warranties, and they are very polite and professional. Their customer service won me as a customer.
Old 03-23-15, 01:27 PM
ziggymad
Driver School Candidate

I am a BMW guy and I have been shopping for 435 for about 8 months but just couldnt get over paying so much for all the packages I wanted. I found the IS350 and built one on Lexus.com and was shocked at getting everything I wanted for way less than the BMW. I went in and test drove one and was very surprised at the quality of the build and how nice it drove. To me dollar for dollar its the best value you can get for the price point. I have been driving it for 2 days now and I love everything about it. I wish I could have found a ML one but there was not one available in the NE area.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose the IS over the competition?