IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why did you choose the IS over the competition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-14, 09:54 AM
csantacana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HTXLexus
I was cross-shopping the IS350 with the ATS and A4.

Reliability was a top priority for me, which put Lexus ahead from the start. The interior was second to none in the class, IMO. And, the f-sport styling/gauges just put me over the top. Very satisfied with the car!
That's pretty much my same reasons.

In general, you don't get this much with any other brand. What you get with Lexus for the money beats the competition out.

And yes, that f-sport gauge makes me cry with joy every time i see it.
Old 09-26-14, 09:56 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the same price point, in a BMW 3-series offers a relatively noisy, vibration prone 4 cylinder with a turbo that is likely to be a long term reliability issue point (especially in a BMW).
Old 09-26-14, 10:19 AM
goshawk823
Rookie

Owned a 330cic; loved the drive, hated the maintenance costs...
reliability and style for me.
Old 09-26-14, 10:20 AM
IS1911
Driver

My friend refers to the Bavarian competitor as B-M-TroubleU.
Old 09-26-14, 12:11 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Reliability
Lower cost to maintain
Resale value

Old 09-27-14, 08:44 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose it for a number of reasons. I used to work at BMW for a couple years, and I was never really impressed with the 3series, they would always come in for with lots of mechanical issues, and once the warranty ran out it was expensive as hell to fix.

I also found that the interior of the 3series was horrible, it felt cheap, and it was plain, nothing special about it. I actually thought my 2009 Honda Accord Coupe had better quality leather than the 3 series...

The maintenance for Audi and Mercedes is a little too high for me after the warranty is out. I also loved the new design of the 3IS, from the interior, to the exterior, everything was perfect in my eyes. The little details just blew me away, for example the fact that our windows slow down right at the top when being rolled up automatically so that they don't make as much noise...
Old 09-27-14, 09:09 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

When I got my 3IS F Sport last summer it was honestly the sexiest looking ride out there IMHO !?!?

The only other car I felt was somewhat comparable in looks was the new 4 Series then but I didn't want to deal with the hassles of a coupe !? Power is more than adequate and the reliability has been nothing but outstanding

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat !!
Old 09-27-14, 10:05 AM
Mtneer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I switched from and 10' Audi S4. It was very nice and for the most part reliable until I started to have issue with the dual clutch trans. It was just out of warrantee and they were not stepping up to help the many people who had major failures.

I chose the IS because of the reliability but also for a better balance of performance to comfort. The S4 was wicked fast but it was rough on and of throttle and with the drive train. It was great for 0-60, not so much as I poked along in drive time traffic.
I also found the handling feel to be better in the IS. The Audi stuck like glue but it felt heavier. I think with new tires on the IS it will be a hands down winner in this category.

I also shopped the Q50 but found it to be too be numb in the handling dept and the driving aids, while cool, were a little too intrusive to the driving experience.
Old 09-27-14, 10:12 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

the 3 series' ride was harsh and that car is all over southern california - dime a dozen. that said, there are more and more is250s and 350s around -- good for lexus but my car isn't as unique any longer.

anyhow, i like the way the car looks and handles more than the other cars i test drove - the 3series and the c class.
Old 09-27-14, 12:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Best Reliability in the industry = prestige in its own right
Lexus panache without the inherent arrogance from BMW or MB.
Design
Fit/Finish

And above all else, a loyal fan as a teen with dreams of owning a Lexus, since inception in 1989!
Old 09-27-14, 11:30 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

1) Wanted a naturally aspirated engine for reliability, turbos and superchargers means expensive problems
2) I wanted something relatively compact to easily get in and out of tight parking spots (esp in Manhattan)
4) I wanted AWD for winter, because front wheel wasn't cutting it and rear-wheel with snow tires isn't helpful up steep hills on a frozen surface
5) I wanted rear side airbags
6) I didn't want to pay over 65k for Audi S4 of my dreams :P (2nd best AWD sedan I've driven)
7) It just looks so mean

All things aside is they ever make the 2015 C63 AMG a 4Matic, I might have to switch teams
Old 09-28-14, 05:01 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Coming from a recent E90 m3 owner, and had E46 330ci, E46 M3, and E92 335i prior:

1) Lexus long-term dependability (although my M3's were reliable, never left me stranded).
2) Lexus residual value's (this does matter, a lot more than people think about)
3) F-sport road manners surpass an F30/F32 3/4 series (steering feel, feedback, suspension) and more akin to my E92, except the is350 rides better and somehow more controlled.
4) Reasonable lease prices
5) That lovely/unique Exterior/Interior design; somehow all of those strange lines give it a purposeful look (although there are ALOT of hard plastic interior surfaces; I'm used to the padded stuff on virtually all surfaces)
6) That true dual-personality in the various driving modes
Old 09-28-14, 05:37 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Loe
Coming from a recent E90 m3 owner, and had E46 330ci, E46 M3, and E92 335i prior:

1) Lexus long-term dependability (although my M3's were reliable, never left me stranded).
2) Lexus residual value's (this does matter, a lot more than people think about)
3) F-sport road manners surpass an F30/F32 3/4 series (steering feel, feedback, suspension) and more akin to my E92, except the is350 rides better and somehow more controlled.
4) Reasonable lease prices
5) That lovely/unique Exterior/Interior design; somehow all of those strange lines give it a purposeful look (although there are ALOT of hard plastic interior surfaces; I'm used to the padded stuff on virtually all surfaces)
6) That true dual-personality in the various driving modes
All good points Loe. Coming from an E46 330xi and having test drove the F30/F32, I agree from #3 from personal experience.
Old 09-28-14, 06:06 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What you all said. Don't under estimate residual value. Apple gave me $205 for my excellent condition iPhone 5. Paid $299 for it under contract 2 years ago. Not to derail the thread but it felt darn good to get that trade-in and it'll feel even better to get a great trade-in price when it's time to upgrade the IS.
Old 09-28-14, 08:47 AM
a790
Driver

I bought mine to spite my local BMW dealer.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose the IS over the competition?