IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Changed out my battery the other day

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 01:14 AM
zabone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed out my battery the other day

It was one of the most difficult battery swaps I've ever done...

I chose the Odyssey extreme battery. Purchased from Amazon.

The point of this post is that the OEM battery was leaking from one of the cells... Seems poorly made...

Perhaps this is why some owners are having dead battery issues...
Old 09-24-14, 04:39 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not take it back to the dealer and have them replace the battery with a new one? Which I assume would have been a warranty claim and thus a zero cost item to you.
Old 09-24-14, 09:11 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
Why not take it back to the dealer and have them replace the battery with a new one? Which I assume would have been a warranty claim and thus a zero cost item to you.
I went to the dealer when my car didn't start because I want a paper trail. I encourage others to do the same to put pressure on Lexus to resolve the issue. To me, it seems like there's more going on here than just a batch of bad batteries.
Old 09-24-14, 10:25 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I went to the dealer when my car didn't start because I want a paper trail.
And this is another great reason to head back to the dealership. This is the only way to attempt to hold Lexus accountable for the issue. They can't address what they don't know about. And yes, I do know this may be an on-going issue others have experienced and reported.
Old 09-24-14, 10:53 AM
zabone
Rookie

I've never had a problem with the car not starting. It's been six months but i noticed that the stock battery was about half inch from being full. So plenty of battery was leaked out...

I also make it a habit to change out stock batteries as I never have luck with them lasting more than a year or so
Old 09-24-14, 12:27 PM
IS1911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zabone
It was one of the most difficult battery swaps I've ever done...
When you say that are you taking mechanically, electrically or both? Did you need a ODB II scanner to clear any codes (check engine light, etc) after the swap?

I have a battery tender that plugs into the 12 volt port (formerly known as the cigarette lighter ) and I was thinking of using it as a "keep alive" when my battery needs changing. Modern cars have way too many things that need to be reset. It's not like the old days where you just need to reset your clock and radio stations.
Old 09-24-14, 02:34 PM
zabone
Rookie

I used something to save the memory. But that wasn't the hard part...

There are these two damn clips that hold the positive cable to the battery housing. I could not figure them out for like 30 mins. Had to google search how to..

The replacement battery was just a little bigger so I could not replace the battery cover. I don't think it's necessary because heat would get to the battery regardless.
Old 09-24-14, 03:54 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by zabone
I used something to save the memory. But that wasn't the hard part...

There are these two damn clips that hold the positive cable to the battery housing. I could not figure them out for like 30 mins. Had to google search how to..

The replacement battery was just a little bigger so I could not replace the battery cover. I don't think it's necessary because heat would get to the battery regardless.
Thanks for the additional info. It's good to know what I'll be up against when the time comes. I wouldn't be concerned about the battery cover not being able to be used with the new unit. I'm guessing the main purpose of the cover is to keep dirt off the terminals and perhaps to give the engine bay a little cleaner look. You should be fine without of the cover. Thanks again.
Old 09-28-14, 06:30 AM
RafalLanrs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS1911
When you say that are you taking mechanically, electrically or both? Did you need a ODB II scanner to clear any codes (check engine light, etc) after the swap?

I have a battery tender that plugs into the 12 volt port (formerly known as the cigarette lighter of ecig called
itaste vtr) and I was thinking of using it as a "keep alive" when my battery needs changing. Modern cars have way too many things that need to be reset. It's not like the old days where you just need to reset your clock and radio stations.
Modern cars are good looking cars but not quality one.. Batteries needs to be replaced at regular intervals..

Last edited by RafalLanrs; 09-30-14 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-29-14, 05:49 PM
Tai3IS
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same thing not too long ago. Car had about 4500 miles and I went out to the car one day and "bam" dead battery. Went to the store and picked up an Optima Red top for the car. I was actually planning on doing this anyways, just not so soon. I've ran a Red Top in almost all my past cars and even a yellow top in my FJ Cruiser (big stereo and a lot of external lights).

I would have brought it to the dealer but this was after hours and I was in need of the car. Luckily I have an awesome neighbor that gave me a ride to the parts store that evening.
Old 01-03-18, 03:13 PM
williex
Rookie

after replacing battery did you have to reset anything
Old 01-03-18, 04:02 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

To prolong battery life, i usually pop the hood on my car when i get home so the engine heat doesn't soak the battery.

I did this on my old Honda Accord which lasted me 280K miles...