IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why does my radio open music in iTunes every time I turn it on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 09:21 AM
997c2
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why does my radio open music in iTunes every time I turn it on?

Every time I turn on the radio, or even change the volume, it starts to play a random song in iTunes from my Bluetooth paired iphone. Even if I stop it, and close the app in my phone, if I alter any input on the radio, it begins to play the song on it's own. I've tried to alter settings in the phone (nothing actually appies) and I can't seem to find anything other than disconnecting the phone that will stop it. I do want to have both the phone and music usable..any hints?
Old 09-23-14, 09:42 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I just noticed this yesterday too. Are you using iPhone with iOS 8? I was using iHeartradio with Enform app but after I turned it off my phone started playing music from iTunes. Weird.
Old 09-23-14, 10:04 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its not everytime but its the iphones default. If pandora or spotify was the last music app playing on your phone just prior to starting the car, then spotify or pandora or whatever will continue to play vs itunes. i havent narrowed it down to what app prior to turning on the car opens itunes but it could be a FB video or any other app that transmits music like maybe a game or something. That will trigger itunes as the default player.
Old 09-23-14, 10:20 AM
IS1911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a reminder here that you need to manually close all apps on your iPhone or they will run in the background indefinitely. To do this press the home button twice quickly. The display will change showing all apps running in the background. Swipe each app up to close it. You'll notice that your phone runs faster too. I do this several times each day.
Old 09-23-14, 11:08 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I have not seen this prior to iOS8 upgrade and I wasn't playing any music at all before getting into my car. The only thing I did was launch Lexus Enform then go to iHeart in Lexus media. When I got home it just started playing music on its own after I got out of car.
Old 09-23-14, 01:18 PM
997c2
Driver

IS1911, I do actually shut the app down with the home button "double tap". If I change volume, or restart the car, the iTunes starts again.
I honestly can't recall if it was doing this before iOS 8...sorry, but it is every time since I updated for certain. Glad I'm not the only one.
Old 09-23-14, 02:41 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by 997c2
IS1911, I do actually shut the app down with the home button "double tap". If I change volume, or restart the car, the iTunes starts again.
I honestly can't recall if it was doing this before iOS 8...sorry, but it is every time since I updated for certain. Glad I'm not the only one.
997c2,

BTW, I like your screen name. I had a 2010 997.2 c2S for a couple of years. But back to Lexus and the problem at hand . . . the only time this happens to me is when I leave Bluetooth selected as the source (on the radio, not the phone) before shutting the car down. Before you shut the car down try to remember to select a different source. For instance I listen to SiriusXM most of the time so if I'm streaming something on BT I'll select satellite radio, shut off the car and then shut down the app. When the car starts up again satellite radio will start playing.

What ~I think~ is happening here (just a guess) is that if BT streaming was the last selected source when the car was shut down it automatically starts playing whatever app was last playing on your phone when the car is started again. You can confirm this by bringing up the Control Center on your iPhone (swipe up from the bottom of the lock screen) and looking at the center panel under the play/track seek controls. It will tell you what the last music or video source on your iPhone was. Even though you have shut down the app, the iPhone still seems to remember what the last music or video app was. Changing to a different source in your car before shutting it down should resolve the issue for you. It did for me.
Old 09-23-14, 04:18 PM
997c2
Driver

IS1911, we're thinking along the same lines. I've been trying different things and the only solution that's worked so far is exactly as you described. I'm just being lazy and not wanting to have to go through the source switch. First world issue, I know! Thanks for the post.
By the way, I gave up the 997 for the IS, life stage thang..I'll have another someday I hope.
Old 09-23-14, 07:49 PM
IS1911
Driver

IS1911, we're thinking along the same lines. I've been trying different things and the only solution that's worked so far is exactly as you described. I'm just being lazy and not wanting to have to go through the source switch. First world issue, I know! Thanks for the post.
By the way, I gave up the 997 for the IS, life stage thang..I'll have another someday I hope.
997c2,

I know it kind of sucks that we have to change the source every time but after a while it will become second nature if you make it a routine. My garage is pretty tight so I'm already in the habit of turning the sound system off before I attempt my "final docking maneuver". This allows me to fully concentrate on getting the IS exactly where it needs to be without any distraction.

This is a long and very sad story but here's the short version. I sold my Porsche to fund a lawsuit of my stepfather's estate. After my mom died of cancer he hooked up with a gold digger. Soon after, he was also diagnosed with cancer. It spread to his brain and as you can imagine affected his personality, emotions and his ability to make practical end-of-life decisions. I was the primary beneficiary of the estate and had been for the previous 30 years (since my mom met the guy back in 1980). The gold digger got him to cut me out of the will and give my share to her. I hired a VERY powerful attorney who was awesome but he required a 50K retainer just to get things started. It took almost 2 years but I was ultimately successful. I put the all of the money back to work in my investment portfolio instead of in my garage. Porsche makes some amazing cars but I think the two years I had with my 911 was enough for me to cross that one off my bucket list.
Old 09-24-14, 03:03 AM
997c2
Driver

Holy crap! Where do people like her come from?! I'm glad you prevailed, but I'm sure it was a heinous couple of years. I sometimes have to remind myself that "they're just cars". There are Waaay more important things in life.
Old 09-24-14, 08:18 AM
enoren
Pole Position

Instead of changing settings on the phone, try changing your Bluetooth connection in the car. You can tell the car to only connect for phone calls and not for audio. That should solve the problem.
Old 09-24-14, 11:47 AM
IS1911
Driver

Holy crap! Where do people like her come from?! I'm glad you prevailed, but I'm sure it was a heinous couple of years. I sometimes have to remind myself that "they're just cars". There are Waaay more important things in life.
This probably won't come as any surprise but she came from an internet dating site for people over 55.

Getting back on topic . . . I downloaded the new Lexus Enform App Suite update this morning. Hint: Download the updated app to your phone first and then download the update for the car. The main difference seems to be the addition of Slacker Radio which I have to admit, I was unfamiliar with until recently. I couldn't get Slacker to start and worse yet, I couldn't get out of it as it wouldn't let me change to another source . . . even when I exited the app suite and brought up the radio screen. I wound up having to change the source using the LCD screen in the middle of the meters (or on the side of the single meter for those with the F-Sport package). Select the music note using the directional control on the right side of the steering wheel then press the center button which will allow you to change the source. This trick worked perfectly. I'll have to try to get Slacker started again later. I'm thinking both the car and the phone app may need to be rebooted before they'll work together.
Old 09-24-14, 12:48 PM
IS1911
Driver

Follow up post: Okay, I see on the Lexus website that you need to have a Slacker Radio account and it needs to be linked before it will work.